• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
lol i thought brown meant indian (like subcontinent india, seems like aside from shikar maybe we have no indians on this board).... why would anyone assume it meant latino???

Because, uh...it's a term used to refer to Hispanic ppl.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I thought it was funny.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only people I know who associate "brown" with Indian are Indians. Otherwise, at least in America, it seems to generally mean Hispanics.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
WTF? Whodini is "hispanic"? He's whiter than I am. Hell, he's whiter than 90% of Britain - minus the Irish. Ideas of racial identity are largely vapid and self satisfying. There little to be said for even the concept of races - just gradients between phenotypic characteristics. My guess is that Who has some genes from Spain in there somewhere and so gets up in arms - even though said genes are Euro. While the comment was in poor taste, I'll give both of you a douche label. Whodini for getting riled and pulling his racial card, and the other guy for saying it in the first place - given all the sensitive special flowers around here. Also, everyone needs to watch more Dave Chappelle and develop a sense of humor about "racial" issues.

:edit: Now Whodini is east Indian? WTF?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, I meant brown as in people from india. WTF since when is brown used to describe hispanics? Hence the russel peters skit. I thought whodini had people of indian descent marrying into his family.

I don't actually think I've met a single hispanic in my life.

edit: I just checked and Canada is only 1% latin american in ethnicity. Which may be why brown refers to different things in our two countries.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Speaking of races that are known for beating their kids, weird how we don't have any brown people here on sf.
somebody gonna get hurt rrrreal bad
lol8[1].gif

Hummingbird

Reaction score
On a related note, I've noticed that the upper/upper middle/middle class from Mexico dress far better than many of their American counterparts. Sadly, many fall for brands like Armani Exchange, but overall, as a group, they look far more modern and Euro than the Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic ham beasts populating our shores. This applies to all age ranges. The lower classes seem to be focused on style as well, and many of the immigrant worker sorts pull of a really great modified cowboy aesthetic when outside of work.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
WTF? Whodini is "hispanic"?

y'all probably dont know this, but while Whodini is taking a break and back in SoCal, he spends the day pushing a bacon-wrap-hotdog cart on Los Angeles St and 6th, so if you're in the area he'll hook you up for lunch

for the record, I'm whiter than Whodini

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
y'all probably dont know this, but while Whodini is taking a break and back in SoCal, he spends the day pushing a bacon-wrap-hotdog cart on Los Angeles St and 6th, so if you're in the area he'll hook you up for lunch

for the record, I'm whiter than Whodini

those health code violation hot dogs are always delicious

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
WTF? Whodini is "hispanic"? He's whiter than I am. Hell, he's whiter than 90% of Britain - minus the Irish. Ideas of racial identity are largely vapid and self satisfying. There little to be said for even the concept of races - just gradients between phenotypic characteristics. My guess is that Who has some genes from Spain in there somewhere and so gets up in arms - even though said genes are Euro. While the comment was in poor taste, I'll give both of you a douche label. Whodini for getting riled and pulling his racial card, and the other guy for saying it in the first place - given all the sensitive special flowers around here. Also, everyone needs to watch more Dave Chappelle and develop a sense of humor about "racial" issues.

my guess is that who wants to start **** like always

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lurker[1].gif

word

Reaction score
On a related note, I've noticed that the upper/upper middle/middle class from Mexico dress far better than many of their American counterparts. Sadly, many fall for brands like Armani Exchange, but overall, as a group, they look far more modern and Euro than the Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic ham beasts populating our shores. This applies to all age ranges. The lower classes seem to be focused on style as well, and many of the immigrant worker sorts pull of a really great modified cowboy aesthetic when outside of work.

Many Hispanics were your typical western cowboys. Hollywood portrayed them as white dudes to remain pc, or something.

slaani

Reaction score
anyone expressing righteous anger on the internet is either doing it wrong or trolling.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm latino, you dumb ****, as are chrono and a few others here who, speaking of which, could beat your ass.

And oh yeah, that was comedy. Maybe you'd like to make a joke now ****************** eating fried chicken. ****, why stop there? Hit all the major races that are invisible here while you're at it.

I'm only half offended
wink.gif

I still wasn't sure if brown meant african american, hispanic or indian. I've heard brown used for both and him being raised in an asian family, i'm not sure of asian racist terminology as i know it's different for others.

Fun racist story. My buddys and i (1 of them black and probably the most intelligent/wittiest guy i've ever known) went to steak and shake one night after drinking in college and the waitress asked us all what we wanted to order and when she came to the black guy said "let me guess, you want the chicken". And he just fake-flipped out on her (was really just giving her a hard time and making her feel bad more than actually being offended). He then continued to ask if they had the seasonal watermelon milkshake and other related things for the rest of the evening. The jokes didn't stop the entire dinner and i saw her crying in the back. I think she later told us that he was there a few nights before and got the chicken fingers so she just guessed that was his regular order. Good times

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to repeat myself... lol i meant brown as in people from india. Hispanics being regarded primarily as brown people is a huge shock to me, as I go to a school where 80% of the engineering faculty refers to themselves as brown (my version).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads