• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown CXL pinch pennies with honey rubber sole arrived today, along with saddle shell belt. My office smells great right now. These shoes are my experiment with 11.5B (versus 11D) and I was a little worried looking at them right out of the box. However, slipping them on they seem like they should work out very well. They give a snug but not at all tight fit and I've got plenty of room in the toe. I'm going to wear them to confirm, but the question should become whether this sizing will apply across the Rancourt line.
The photos:

Saddle Shell Belt

Stitching and finish are beautiful. The color is really tan, with much less orange in it than Alden Whiskey shell. I'm now starting to wonder how nice a pair of Rancourt Shoes will look in this...

The CXL Loafers
I have a preference for shell, but this CXL is so nice, both supple and sturdy. And I know it's going to age well. Not sure if the color comes through here, but I like it.

Needless to say, very excited.

Sweet shoes man.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sweet shoes man.

Thanks. Not sure if it's necessary, but here's something of a glamor shot that shows the color well

Not as awesome as Frank's new arrival, but I received the clearance chukka boots from Brooks Brothers today. I went TTS with this pair compared to sizing down 1/2 with the beefroll penny loafers and it fits very well (as did the loafers). Another nice pair of Rancourts for me, and at an awesome price.
I've never owned a green pair of shoes though. What can I wear with this color?
A few pics:

I've got a pair of these coming as well. :embar: Really glad, looking at your photos, MGD, that I chose green. These look great, particularly with the crepe sole. Being unlined should make extremely comfortable. I'd say you can wear these with denim and with anything in the brown spectrum, easily. Probably some other combos too. I'd just wear 'em and not worry about it. People will dig the green chukkas.:)

Kashiwa

Reaction score

Brown CXL pinch pennies with honey rubber sole arrived today, along with saddle shell belt. My office smells great right now. These shoes are my experiment with 11.5B (versus 11D) and I was a little worried looking at them right out of the box. However, slipping them on they seem like they should work out very well. They give a snug but not at all tight fit and I've got plenty of room in the toe. I'm going to wear them to confirm, but the question should become whether this sizing will apply across the Rancourt line.
The photos:

Saddle Shell Belt

Stitching and finish are beautiful. The color is really tan, with much less orange in it than Alden Whiskey shell. I'm now starting to wonder how nice a pair of Rancourt Shoes will look in this...

The CXL Loafers
I have a preference for shell, but this CXL is so nice, both supple and sturdy. And I know it's going to age well. Not sure if the color comes through here, but I like it.

Needless to say, very excited.

Well done. Both look great. I wasn't, I thought, a fan of the camp soles, but they look great on the pinch pennys. And that brown CXL is really warm and rich.

Belt looks excellent. For a clarification, is that "tan shell"? Same as the "tan shell" loafers on Rancourt webstore? The "saddle" in the title threw me off. I have been thinking a pair of ranger mocs in tan shell would be nice, and this confirms that thought.

Edit: And very happy to hear the sizing worked out for you!

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score
Frank, the loafers look great, and that belt is fantastic. Mack, I like that green suede a lot.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well done. Both look great. I wasn't, I thought, a fan of the camp soles, but they look great on the pinch pennys. And that brown CXL is really warm and rich.
Belt looks excellent. For a clarification, is that "tan shell"? Same as the "tan shell" loafers on Rancourt webstore? The "saddle" in the title threw me off. I have been thinking a pair of ranger mocs in tan shell would be nice, and this confirms that thought.
Edit: And very happy to hear the sizing worked out for you!

I believe tan and saddle shell are one and the same and I'm pretty sure it would make a stunning ranger moc. From looking at the belt, it's a very natural color. I'd go for it.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the camp sole, but it felt right for this shoe and I really like the honey color. Keeps the profile low since you don't need a midsole. I also have plenty of leather soled shoes, so can't hurt to have some rubber. Paired with the CXL, should be pretty sturdy.

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score

I believe tan and saddle shell are one and the same and I'm pretty sure it would make a stunning ranger moc. From looking at the belt, it's a very natural color. I'd go for it.
Oh, and I know what you mean about the camp sole, but it felt right for this shoe and I really like the honey color. Keeps the profile low since you don't need a midsole. I also have plenty of leather soled shoes, so can't hurt to have some rubber. Paired with the CXL, should be pretty sturdy.

Yes, I think you made a nice choice with the honey camp soles. And a little variation is always good.

My issue with the tan shell ranger mocs is that I find myself under-wooed by the sole options. Find myself wanting something welted and more substantial ala:

Or is that just my imagination?

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I've got a pair of these coming as well. :embar: Really glad, looking at your photos, MGD, that I chose green. These look great, particularly with the crepe sole. Being unlined should make extremely comfortable. I'd say you can wear these with denim and with anything in the brown spectrum, easily. Probably some other combos too. I'd just wear 'em and not worry about it. People will dig the green chukkas.:)

Thanks for the suggestion on what matches up with the green suede. I tried out several different colored pants with them tonight and they seem to be a lot more versatile than I thought, so I'm pretty happy about that. Yes, they are very comfortable right off the bat and are pretty much a no-brainer at the clearance + F&F sale price. I just might pickup another color if they are still around during the next BB sale.

rkusmant

Reaction score
See rancourtandts.tumblr.com for inspiration.

Anyway any of you have both ranger moc and loafer? Do you size the same? I'm thinking to size down from 13D to 13C? Am I going crazy here?
My worry is that loafer won't have flexibility to tighten the instep area.

I want to get olive cxl venetian loafer + leather midsole + red camp sole.....

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the blue mocs BB is selling on their website right now. Nice color, really comfortable.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, I think you made a nice choice with the honey camp soles. And a little variation is always good.
My issue with the tan shell ranger mocs is that I find myself under-wooed by the sole options. Find myself wanting something welted and more substantial ala:

Or is that just my imagination?

I have a pair of Alden Cape Cod collection shoes that are hand sewn at least in part (in the toe, I think, but elsewhere it looks like machine stitching). These are on a more traditional welt, though not anything as stiff as the PTB you have pictured. So I imagine it's possible to put this kind of welt on a ranger moc, if not exactly in the Rancourt style. I'd also guess that requires having the right machine to do it. Have you emailed Kyle about this question?

Thanks for the suggestion on what matches up with the green suede. I tried out several different colored pants with them tonight and they seem to be a lot more versatile than I thought, so I'm pretty happy about that. Yes, they are very comfortable right off the bat and are pretty much a no-brainer at the clearance + F&F sale price. I just might pickup another color if they are still around during the next BB sale.

Agree that these were a no brainer. I try not to be drawn into the mentality of buying things just because they are discounted, but we know these are quality shoes and that they will look good. $125 is an outrageous price for them (I paid shipping...). Good to hear you found they work with a variety of color pants. Enjoy them and post some photos of them in action. I'll do the same.

See rancourtandts.tumblr.com for inspiration.
Anyway any of you have both ranger moc and loafer? Do you size the same? I'm thinking to size down from 13D to 13C? Am I going crazy here?
My worry is that loafer won't have flexibility to tighten the instep area.
I want to get olive cxl venetian loafer + leather midsole + red camp sole.....

Going down a width isn't crazy and could well work. I think that you are very right that a loafer should probably fit a little more snugly to start with, particularly CXL, which will stretch some in my experience.

Are you a pretty standard D width and how is your toe room in a 13? I ask because I'm generally an 11 and almost an E. In the Rancourts I have (no ranger moc yet), 11 puts my toe right at the end of the shoe without discomfort, but E is a little wide and D is a little tight. I just bought the pinch pennies in 11.5 B (I don't think Rancourt lists C on its website) with the idea of giving myself a little more toe room and trying to dial in the width at that longer length. I think it worked. Planning on wearing the shoes around this weekend, so I'll find out for sure.

So, if 13D is comfortably wide in a ranger moc for you, then going down a width might work well for a loafer. Keep in mind that changing the width at a given length is going to reduce the overall volume of the show, so maybe think about 13.5B unless that's going to be way to long.

Sorry to rehash this all for everyone who's read it already...

BTW that venetian makeup sounds great. Hope you can get the sizing figured out.

mothball

Reaction score
A couple of pictures of the snuff suede ranger mocs I ordered--

The casco lining is really soft and feels great, and I love the suede. They're very comfortable right out of the box.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

I have a pair of Alden Cape Cod collection shoes that are hand sewn at least in part (in the toe, I think, but elsewhere it looks like machine stitching). These are on a more traditional welt, though not anything as stiff as the PTB you have pictured. So I imagine it's possible to put this kind of welt on a ranger moc, if not exactly in the Rancourt style. I'd also guess that requires having the right machine to do it. Have you emailed Kyle about this question?

I haven't asked Kyle about the welt, since I was more or less assuming that they didn't do that style. But there was mention that they have welt construction capacity, and they seem to be hatching plans to move into dress shoes etc. So maybe it is worth asking. Kyle did inform me that they do not have a recessed lug commando sole like the one on the Alden PTB above. Even more than the welt, I'd like to have the recessed lugs up front, with scalloping visible on heel. Just think that would be a nice rugged look for a "ranger".

Kashiwa

Reaction score
The snuff suede mocs look even better in the wild, than they did at the factory! Nice shoe/pant combination!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads