• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Rancourt shipped defective shoes to me in late December; I followed the website procedure and Rancourt received the return the first week in January. Over seven weeks later, I still have not received a refund. I’m going to contact my credit card company and contemplate legal proceedings as well.

This is disgraceful behavior on the part of Rancourt, and is emblematic of problems within the business.
I recommend the credit card dispute. It worked for me and my refund was initiated the following morning.

I’m also considering writing a snail mail letter to Mr. Rancourt. I know it sounds very old school but if I was the namesake of the company I would want to know if these sorts of things were happening.

George Mason

Reaction score
I recommend the credit card dispute. It worked for me and my refund was initiated the following morning.

I’m also considering writing a snail mail letter to Mr. Rancourt. I know it sounds very old school but if I was the namesake of the company I would want to know if these sorts of things were happening.
I just contacted my credit card company, so we’ll see what happens. I hope I won’t have to go down the path of BBB, FTC, contacting the local DA, et al., but I will if necessary.

I think an old-fashioned letter is a superb idea! I’ll do the same...

Bavo

Reaction score
I don't think I'd necessarily call this disgraceful. But, it is poor form, and I do think it's concerning for a cash flow problem. I would contrast this to what Hertling did over the last year of its existence, where goods were being sold that were never being made or shipped, and refunds were also not being processed (that was disgraceful). Rancourt has always provided me with excellent customer service, and they still make great shoes. I received the beefroll penny loafers on LH in December from the last group preorder, and they are pretty flawless.

George Mason

Reaction score
I don't think I'd necessarily call this disgraceful. But, it is poor form, and I do think it's concerning for a cash flow problem. I would contrast this to what Hertling did over the last year of its existence, where goods were being sold that were never being made or shipped, and refunds were also not being processed (that was disgraceful). Rancourt has always provided me with excellent customer service, and they still make great shoes. I received the beefroll penny loafers on LH in December from the last group preorder, and they are pretty flawless.
Many of us have not received “excellent customer service” - multiple calls and emails have been ignored. Some have waited over three months for a refund. Others had to deal with David Creamer obtusely refusing to acknowledge what were poorly made products with obvious flaws. While I’m happy for you that your Rancourt penny loafers were flawless, many of us have received shoes with holes, glue stains, bowing ankles et al. Much of this depends on who constructs the product - an experienced Rancourt craftsman, or a trainee imported from another country (as noted by someone earlier in this thread).

Something is amiss in what Rancourt proclaims (“Business has been great!”) versus the realities of constant sales with enormous discounts, long wait times, poorly manufactured products, and a non-responsive customer service that can’t/won't return calls, emails or refund customer money for many weeks/months. Businesses that experience huge demand don’t offer products at big discounts on a regular basis, and they certainly add staff in order to ramp up supply and handle customer service issues relative to the supposed increase in volume of sales. Rancourt has been the opposite of this.

Had Rancourt shown the professionalism and honesty to let customers know that they’re having certain problems (for whatever reason), many of us would be patient and understanding. Instead, we were completely ignored. Poor form indeed!

Garrister

Reaction score
Many of us have not received “excellent customer service” - multiple calls and emails have been ignored. Some have waited over three months for a refund. Others had to deal with David Creamer obtusely refusing to acknowledge what were poorly made products with obvious flaws. While I’m happy for you that your Rancourt penny loafers were flawless, many of us have received shoes with holes, glue stains, bowing ankles et al. Much of this depends on who constructs the product - an experienced Rancourt craftsman, or a trainee imported from another country (as noted by someone earlier in this thread).

Something is amiss in what Rancourt proclaims (“Business has been great!”) versus the realities of constant sales with enormous discounts, long wait times, poorly manufactured products, and a non-responsive customer service that can’t/won't return calls, emails or refund customer money for many weeks/months. Businesses that experience huge demand don’t offer products at big discounts on a regular basis, and they certainly add staff in order to ramp up supply and handle customer service issues relative to the supposed increase in volume of sales. Rancourt has been the opposite of this.

Had Rancourt shown the professionalism and honesty to let customers know that they’re having certain problems (for whatever reason), many of us would be patient and understanding. Instead, we were completely ignored. Poor form indeed!
Look up the fallacy of the hasty generalization. Also, it is sufficient to state "trainee" without adding your own prejudice to the mix. If you are not happy, file your credit card dispute. Easy peasy. No need to disparage a fine American company that offers a great product.

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score

Well said. I have another order still in production from their Black Friday sale. Estimated delivery was February so I’m not overly worried yet. However, I did send an email asking if there was any update on the delivery date and unsurprisingly… no reply.

George Mason

Reaction score
Look up the fallacy of the hasty generalization. Also, it is sufficient to state "trainee" without adding your own prejudice to the mix. If you are not happy, file your credit card dispute. Easy peasy. No need to disparage a fine American company that offers a great product.
I expressed precisely what has occurred with me and various others. Perhaps you should look up the fallacy of the “delusional fanboy."

Nothing prejudicial was added - someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Kyle Rancourt said that his company was importing Congolese workers. Despite your inclination to see racism even when it doesn’t exist - a “hasty generalization," perhaps? - learning a new trade is difficult enough but when a trainee must also deal with language and cultural barriers the chances are the task becomes that much more difficult. Easy to understand for those of us not hampered by the specter of racism hiding behind every thought and action.

Rancourt may indeed have been a “fine American company” that “offers a great product” but many customers are experiencing something quite different. It is you who adheres to a generalization as you reject any criticism of Rancourt (which you’ve done multiple times in this thread).

Perhaps you should reimburse everyone who has found it difficult/impossible to receive a refund from Rancourt, and then you can contact Rancourt for a refund of your cash outlay. After all, a loyal fanboy should back up his words with deeds.

Garrister

Reaction score
I expressed precisely what has occurred with me and various others. Perhaps you should look up the fallacy of the “delusional fanboy."

Nothing prejudicial was added - someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Kyle Rancourt said that his company was importing Congolese workers. Despite your inclination to see racism even when it doesn’t exist - a “hasty generalization," perhaps? - learning a new trade is difficult enough but when a trainee must also deal with language and cultural barriers the chances are the task becomes that much more difficult. Easy to understand for those of us not hampered by the specter of racism hiding behind every thought and action.

Rancourt may indeed have been a “fine American company” that “offers a great product” but many customers are experiencing something quite different. It is you who adheres to a generalization as you reject any criticism of Rancourt (which you’ve done multiple times in this thread).

Perhaps you should reimburse everyone who has found it difficult/impossible to receive a refund from Rancourt, and then you can contact Rancourt for a refund of your cash outlay. After all, a loyal fanboy should back up his words with deeds.
Your personal experience is perfectly valid, of course. And, I do not reject reasoned criticism at all.

It's your generalizations where you come off sounding like a jilted newlywed. "Many" customers? How do you know? From two posts on this thread? Your speculation on the state of the business is pure conjecture based on nothing. A couple of sales per year at wholesale pricing (still profitable) is not exactly novel for a manufacturer or a sign of impending doom. I understand you need to be emotional and rant because you experienced a refund delay ... a huge injustice I know. But it's easily remedied without resorting to calling the "district attorney" and it may even had been a Rancourt oversight. If you cannot look at the situtation and your comments with an objective eye that is on you -- not me being "delusional".

Also, I am well aware of Rancourt needing to train new shoemakers. It's very difficult to get good craftspeople. It doesn't mean I perpetuate comments connecting perceived flaws with the shoes with a trainee's country of origin. That's exactly what you did. It's enough to say they need to do a better job training its people.

George Mason

Reaction score
Your personal experience is perfectly valid, of course. And, I do not reject reasoned criticism at all.

It's your generalizations where you come off sounding like a jilted newlywed. "Many" customers? How do you know? From two posts on this thread? Your speculation on the state of the business is pure conjecture based on nothing. A couple of sales per year at wholesale pricing (still profitable) is not exactly novel for a manufacturer or a sign of impending doom. I understand you need to be emotional and rant because you experienced a refund delay ... a huge injustice I know. But it's easily remedied without resorting to calling the "district attorney" and it may even had been a Rancourt oversight. If you cannot look at the situtation and your comments with an objective eye that is on you -- not me being "delusional".

Also, I am well aware of Rancourt needing to train new shoemakers. It's very difficult to get good craftspeople. It doesn't mean I perpetuate comments connecting perceived flaws with the shoes with a trainee's country of origin. That's exactly what you did. It's enough to say they need to do a better job training its people.
I know there are many customers who have experienced difficulty with Rancourt from this and similar websites and more importantly, directly from the horse's mouth (keyboard, actually). That’s not conjecture!

I can speculate on whatever I wish, same as you’ve done in this thread. Or is that a right only you possess? Businesses that have great difficulty maintaining supply in the face of increased demand (as Rancourt has expressed) and can’t maintain an adequate level of customer service typically don’t run 40% off sales, which serve to exacerbate the underlying problems. Such illogic also gives rise to speculation; a natural reaction to perplexing business practices.

Yes, I’m so “emotional” over a “huge injustice” - I see, you can criticize me without knowing a damned thing about me but those of us who have expressed disappointment with Rancourt must be castigated by you. How fair minded of you, and how generous you are with other people’s money!

An “oversight by Rancourt”? Sounds like conjecture, Mr. Fanboy. Again, I received the truth straight from the horse’s keyboard, so the Rancourt problems in returning calls, emails and processing refunds is not conjecture at all. A bit of objectivity may help you to see this more clearly, and prevent the sort of hyper-partisanship you display in this thread.

Your “emotional rant” accusing me of racism, which you’ve now doubled down on, has already been refuted, replete with an explanation. Sorry you don’t understand that trainees coming from other countries will face more difficulties than domestic hires. I guess common sense isn’t so common. None of us need you to tell us what we can/can’t say in our criticism of Rancourt. Your zeal to make false accusations is not only objectionable, but it undercuts your entire premise here - that Rancourt is being unfairly slurred. It is you who is guilty of such slurs.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I know there are many customers who have experienced difficulty with Rancourt from this and similar websites and more importantly, directly from the horse's mouth (keyboard, actually). That’s not conjecture!

I can speculate on whatever I wish, same as you’ve done in this thread. Or is that a right only you possess? Businesses that have great difficulty maintaining supply in the face of increased demand (as Rancourt has expressed) and can’t maintain an adequate level of customer service typically don’t run 40% off sales, which serve to exacerbate the underlying problems. Such illogic also gives rise to speculation; a natural reaction to perplexing business practices.

Yes, I’m so “emotional” over a “huge injustice” - I see, you can criticize me without knowing a damned thing about me but those of us who have expressed disappointment with Rancourt must be castigated by you. How fair minded of you, and how generous you are with other people’s money!

An “oversight by Rancourt”? Sounds like conjecture, Mr. Fanboy. Again, I received the truth straight from the horse’s keyboard, so the Rancourt problems in returning calls, emails and processing refunds is not conjecture at all. A bit of objectivity may help you to see this more clearly, and prevent the sort of hyper-partisanship you display in this thread.

Your “emotional rant” accusing me of racism, which you’ve now doubled down on, has already been refuted, replete with an explanation. Sorry you don’t understand that trainees coming from other countries will face more difficulties than domestic hires. I guess common sense isn’t so common. None of us need you to tell us what we can/can’t say in our criticism of Rancourt. Your zeal to make false accusations is not only objectionable, but it undercuts your entire premise here - that Rancourt is being unfairly slurred. It is you who is guilty of such slurs.

That you have chosen a screen name that is also the name of one of 18th century Virginia’s largest slaveholders doesn’t help your case.

(And yes, i’m aware George Mason also spoke out against the slave trade and slavery. He nevertheless kept his slaves.)

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one for the ignored column.

Let's move on from "the sky is falling" mentality and appreciate some American made footwear.
Shell cordovan mocc toe handsewns...
20210227_152142.jpg

George Mason

Reaction score
That you have chosen a screen name that is also the name of one of 18th century Virginia’s largest slaveholders doesn’t help your case.

(And yes, i’m aware George Mason also spoke out against the slave trade and slavery. He nevertheless kept his slaves.)
Your second sentence negates the first. However, I’ll immediately drop what I’m doing to find someone who is perfect in every respect so that I can change my Styleforum name. Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads