• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

gentpax

Reaction score

I think it's more traditional vs nontraditional. I've handled the rancourts at work and theyre wonderful. straitforward designs with great options for customization. yuketen also offers a quality product (my guide boots are going on a year and I have loved them from day one. no break in problems, and theyre not even remotely close to wearing out). the design is a bit out of the ordinary but really thats a breath of fresh air if anything. I might end up picking up a pair of rancourts and a pair of the yuketen kiltie bluchers this season.
each shoe is worth its price, and having both isnt redundant if you pick models right

Paid half as much for a similar quality shoe from Rancourt. If you want traditional handsewns, I think it's the way to go. If you want zebra patterns or studded shoes -- then Yuketen fits that bill.

Will never buy Yuketen again, though. Had some quality control issues with them within the first month on some discoloration and stitching. The vendor went to bat for me and basically got the message back from Yuketen that there "was no issue" and suggested that using dark polish would fix the discoloration caused by some cement overspill. Even the vendor was a little nonplussed that Yuketen would not stand behind their goods and jump out with that "not our fault" kind of response on a pair of nearly $500 shoes. Chose just to wear them because I was dealing with a death in the family and not in the spirit to push an argument over shoes.

Judging from some of Kyle's FB posts, they've sometimes just replaced shoes sent in for repair. That's standing by product.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

can anyone compare loafer sizing to alden barrie last? thanks

I bought the Rancourt beefroll penny loafer offered at Brooks Brothers at my Barrie last size (half size down from Brannock). I'm pretty sure it's made with chromexcel and was a little snug initially. But it stretched out within an hour or two of wear and is now not snug at all (owned it for a couple of months now). Once stretched out, I find it to fit pretty much exactly the same as the Alden Van last (I own two pairs of Van lasted Aldens).

Kashiwa

Reaction score

I bought the Rancourt beefroll penny loafer offered at Brooks Brothers at my Barrie last size (half size down from Brannock). I'm pretty sure it's made with chromexcel and was a little snug initially. But it stretched out within an hour or two of wear and is now not snug at all (owned it for a couple of months now). Once stretched out, I find it to fit pretty much exactly the same as the Alden Van last (I own two pairs of Van lasted Aldens).

I think the rule of thumb advice would be to go up a half size from your Barrie size. But as Mr. Macktastic states, there are other variables. First and foremost, I wonder how the Barrie fits you.

I went up a half size from my Barrie last size (which is 11.5d) and the beefroll fits well. Sticking with my Barrie last size would not be an option for me, since the shoe would undoubtedly be too short. That said, I think I could have gone with either a 12c or perhaps a 12.5c (quien sabe?). But I have slightly narrow feet with low arches. Plus, and in this I agree with Mr. Macktastic, I went with CXL and it does stretch. If I had it to do over again, I might go for some calf to avoid stretching. But my 12d beefrolls will work fine with some tongue pads.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I bought a pair of Ralph Lauren branded beefrolls in my Barrie size (10.5d). They fit out of the box but stretched like mad and are a bit too loose for me now.
I bought a pair of RL branded buckle loafers 1/2 size down (10d) from my Barrie and they were snug at first but stretched out.
So I bought a pair of Rancourt beefrolls from BB in size 10d. Those were painfully tight and there was no way I'd wear them long enough for them to stretch out so I returned them.
Bought another pair of RL branded beefrolls in 10d. They're not as snug as the buckle loafers but otherwise fit well.
Note: all of the above fits are sans socks.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've gone with 11.5 as well compared to 11 Barrie. You aren't getting the volume/room in the Rancourt shapes that you are getting with the Barrie last. As Kashiwa notes, though, an important variable is just how the Barrie size you wear fits you.

jt2gt

Reaction score
Epaulet (Rancourt made) Natural CXL Beefroll Pennys. Run pretty true to size for me (Im an 8 Alden Barrie/Van).

Last edited by a moderator:

emptym

Reaction score

Perhaps the term you are looking for is "plug"? Venetian loafers in shell sound excellent.

That's it! Thanks.

Off topic, TS, saw your products highlighted on the Rancourt site and missed out on the nice looking natural denim you offered. I assume you've got a thread here at SF. I'll have to check it out to see if I can keep up to date.

They are very nice. I've suggested they reissue them with tan stitching like the old Levi's ones.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Well, if the moderator says so, then they have to do it, right?:)

Also, wearing brown CXL pinch pennies today. These are the 11.5Bs I ordered as an experiment. They fit very nicely. Will try to post a few photos soon.

Last edited:

uninkco

Reaction score
Just received my beefrolls in brown with tempest sole. Sized the same as my barrie (half size down from TTS). Snug fit now, but should be perfect with some stretching. Quality is top notch and the tempest sole isn't bulky or heavy. You can see from the pics that it doesn't add much to the sole and isn't heavier than my other loafer from what I can tell. I will definitely be ordering more shoes from Kyle and Rancourt... probably a suede make up the next go around. Any suggestions?
photo+2-2.JPG
photo+1-1.JPG
photo+2.JPG
photo+3.JPG

Last edited:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I should have gone with that sole, the leather one is far too slippery hah.

Calikid

Reaction score
Just received my beefrolls in brown with tempest sole. Sized the same as my barrie (half size down from TTS). Snug fit now, but should be perfect with some stretching. Quality is top notch and the tempest sole isn't bulky or heavy. You can see from the pics that it doesn't add much to the sole and isn't heavier than my other loafer from what I can tell. I will definitely be ordering more shoes from Kyle and Rancourt... probably a suede make up the next go around. Any suggestions?
photo+2-2.JPG

photo+1-1.JPG

photo+2.JPG

photo+3.JPG
Those look really nice... good choice

cking

Reaction score

Are they regular brown or 'plainsman' brown?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads