• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

rkusmant

Reaction score
^^
my take on this: midsole is irrelevant, natural crepe sile can be cut/sliced and leave thin layer of crepe, then you glue new layer of crepe.
I believe gluing 2 dissimilar material will make it worse.

I learn this when resoling leather sole boots with cristy sole, swapping to rubber midsole and restitch to the original welt, help the rubber sole to adhere better. I also have other boots with leather midsole and cristy sole glued together. Currently both still in good condition so my theory of gluing 2 different material is not that good idea, has yet to be proven.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

What are the different sole options? Tempest, RLH, Crepe, am i missing anything? What do you guys think would be the most versatile on the ranger moc?

Those three are good options, but there are more. For the ranger moc, you might also consider the camp moc sole, vibram mini lug, the vibram christy, and also the red brick soles. This page shows a wide variety of soles:

http://rancourtandts.tumblr.com/

I guess the answer to your question would depend on what you mean by versatile. But I would say that the tempest is the only option that isn't decidedly casual, and thus it does dress the ranger moc up just a bit. And it is certainly as versatile as the others in any other respect as well, I would think.

mothball

Reaction score
Oooh, that olive suede is sweet. I keep looking at the mushroom suede boots they have on the website. I can never decide if it's more gray or brown, but it depends on the monitor I'm using.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
I should have clarified above that I'm not sure that is actually olive suede, it looks similar to the "moss" suede on these Eastland rangers. I quite like these. Think they look nice with the red soles.

I could be wrong, but I think the mushroom is a green that leans more toward brown than gray, here's another pic;

It's difficult to distinguish between shades on the monitor. The more I look at them, those two shades are starting to look pretty similar.

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score
They look pretty similar here. I love that picture of the boot.

I have to say that you are such an asset to this thread. Thanks!

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Thanks. But I'm just trying to return the favor, and still trying to figure out all these different MTO options myself. As of yet, I don't even have a pair of Rancourts! But that will be rectified later on tonight, finally.

Those 2 do look similar. But I think the moss is more of the green-gray, while the mushroom is more towards green-brown. For sure, though, both the red camp soles and the honey mini lugs look really nice on those models.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

^^
my take on this: midsole is irrelevant, natural crepe sile can be cut/sliced and leave thin layer of crepe, then you glue new layer of crepe.
I believe gluing 2 dissimilar material will make it worse.
I learn this when resoling leather sole boots with cristy sole, swapping to rubber midsole and restitch to the original welt, help the rubber sole to adhere better. I also have other boots with leather midsole and cristy sole glued together. Currently both still in good condition so my theory of gluing 2 different material is not that good idea, has yet to be proven.

Thanks for the info. I think it makes sense. At some point, I still would like to ask Kyle about this. One reason I've shied away from crepe soles is due to the reported difficulty in resoling. But if putting another crepe sole on is no problem, then my fears are allayed.

mothball

Reaction score
I just sent Kyle an e-mail to get a quote on the boots in mushroom. So if I'm able to order them without being placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds by my wife, I'll have pics in a few weeks.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a list of stockists? I couldn't find it on their site. Or are most of you guys just going MTO? Would like an olive mocc, not sure what sole.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
I've never seen a list of stockists. If you mailed Kyle, I'm sure he could give you info on stockists in your area.

What kind of "mocc" are you thinking? There a few sizes of olive ranger mocs available at Club Monaco:

http://www.clubmonaco.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12554587&geos=0

That picture doesn't strike me as very olivey, but who knows. I think almost any of the soles would look good on an olive ranger moc, but I would favor the camp moc (red or honey), the tempest, the RLH (honey) or the vibram mini lug (honey). But that's just me.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I hadn't decided, but looking at the options again the ranger moc is the one I had in mind. I tried looking through that tumblr link you posted above, but not all the pictures said what the sole was. The ones you linked would be very similar to what I want though they appear more brown and less green than I hoped, and I think the red camp moc sole may be better. What's the RLH sole? I had seen it mentioned just recently for being more comfortable. Is there a significant surcharge for MTO? Just looking for casual slip on shoe :)

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Just the opposite. An MTO would be less, for example, than the ranger mocs I linked to from Club Monaco. Have a look at the pricing.

The RLH (Reltex Lactae Hevea) is a rubber sole that Kyle at Rancourt really likes, and a few others on this forum have also raved about. Here's a pic:

I wouldn't say the Ranger Moc is really a "slip on" shoe. If you're after slip on, maybe a loafer or camp moc would be more your speed, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads