• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Presale including RLBL, RLPL, and RRL starts the 26th. You can have an SA hold stuffs now.
It goes public on the 3rd.

See http://www.styleforum.net/t/120192/the-official-rrl-thread/17055#post_6746478

Also, the Ralph store in Ala Moana in Honolulu is having an in-store event on the 7th.
25% off reg price stuff and a 15% kicker for sale stuff. I don't know if they'll do send sales for this.

Last edited:

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in RL today and I observed a new RLBL cut - Nigel.

It is a very lightly padded shoulder with some of the suits 3/4 lined. Seemed to be available in both SB and DB suits and a SC.

a nice contrast to the structured shoulder of the Anthony.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Was in RL today and I observed a new RLBL cut - Nigel.

It is a very lightly padded shoulder with some of the suits 3/4 lined. Seemed to be available in both SB and DB suits and a SC.

a nice contrast to the structured shoulder of the Anthony.

It's been around for about a year now. There's also the Austin, which has the Anthony shoulder but with a shorter jacket and slimmer trousers. And I agree, it's nice to have some options now.

Quarks

Reaction score
My first encounter with purple label was the Drake cut. I wear size 36R (EU46) for most suits. For the Drake cut, I had to take 38R as 36R is way too fitting all around. And the trousers fit extremely well with 38R. I am quite surprised how slim it the cut is.

I have just invested on a Savile Row cut on size 36R without having tried on to explore the cut, and it is enroute to me as I type. I will post my thoughts on the cut compared to the Drake. Thus far, I rarely venture out of Tom Ford suits (not out of snobbishness but I had a hard time fitting a RTW suits that truly fit my bodyshape) and since TF has taken a turn with the cutting of the suits, I am looking elsewhere. As of now, after trying on the Drake cut, I am liking the fit but still in the process of getting used to the smaller lapels.

Any input on Savile Row cut would be appreciated.

Also, does 'custom fit' on the purple label equates to Drake cut?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the custom fit I have seen is drake cut, and it's definitely slimmer, savile row cut is pretty TTS

fwedo

Reaction score
I think (but i am not 100% sure) that you have "custom fit - drake" and "custom fit - saville"

They both have the "custom fit" label inside, but the code of the garment contain drake or savile. Yes, Drake is more fitted than Savile.
Drake is to me THE perfect fit, without any alteration (I wear 38R with PL and everywhere else). It is far better than any MTM I have bought for several years.

The new "custom fit" from Polo is quite similar, but with natural shoulders. I have both and they look similar to me, excepted the shoulders and the finish (lot of "sew by hand" on PL). "edit : Oh, and sleeves are far larger on Polo jacket"

The 38R from BL (anthony cut) is to small for me. I think this one of the slimmest cut they have.

Last edited:

Quarks

Reaction score
I have just received my RLPL Savile Row suit and it fits wonderfully. When I removed the suit out of the box, and tried it on for the first time. I dreaded the feeling that I may have made a serious mistake. It was a big risk without having tried on Savile Row cut. But I was very happy that it fitted so nicely all around, including the pants with adequate leg opening. I must say it has a slightly different feel compared to Drake. Drake is too fitted in the size that I wear. I had to upsize from 36R to 38R. The shoulder with Savile Row seemed slightly more padded but visually, not much of a difference imo. I am also surprised how suppressed the waist is, according to my liking, especially coming from wearing Tom Ford. I am soooo sold on RLPL now. Damn.

How can one tell whether a RLPL is made by Saint Andrews or Caruso? Just by the white tag (ie. Caruso?)
Does Saint Andrew made Savile Row and Drake, vice versa with Caruso?

Wayward

Reaction score

How can one tell whether a RLPL is made by Saint Andrews or Caruso? Just by the white tag (ie. Caruso?)
Does Saint Andrew made Savile Row and Drake, vice versa with Caruso?

Saint Andrews doesn't have the small purple tags you might find inside the chest pockets. Saint Andrews has this:

(Photo credit to Brianpore's thread at http://www.styleforum.net/t/352887/the-official-thrift-thread-maker-label-guide)

Caruso has this:

(Photo credit to MalfordofLondon's store at http://www.malfordoflondon.com)

masaccio

Reaction score
Saw these two labels in a PRL Made in Italy suit on EBay.

Jacket:

Trousers:

I recognize the trouser label immediately as Corneliani, but I thought the jacket label should look the same.

Since the jacket is marked as a Size 38 and the pants are 35, that would only represent a 3" drop which seems unusual. I am wondering if it's possible that they are a mismatched set.

Can one tell that from the labels?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Saw these two labels in a PRL Made in Italy suit on EBay.

Jacket:

Trousers:

I recognize the trouser label immediately as Corneliani, but I thought the jacket label should look the same.

Since the jacket is marked as a Size 38 and the pants are 35, that would only represent a 3" drop which seems unusual. I am wondering if it's possible that they are a mismatched set.

Can one tell that from the labels?

The jacket tag is an old corneliani tag. Don't know why it's mismatched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads