• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That would be a bummer. I picked up some Saphir Renovateur today and the Marlows were my first target. They are gorgeous shoes. Unmatched.

Cleav - when you make your polish "homebrew" do you layer it on or just mash all the colors together? I'm a dark(er) shoe guy and think my Pembrokes need a bit of this treatment.

just light layers of what is at hand, may be a first step being a brush over with something a little darker and see where it takes you

it'll come off anyway if you don't like it :)

CDRiis

Reaction score
The cavalry calf Pembrokes look really nice. How do you find they hold up? Do they tend to crease about the same as full grain, less or more?

I'd like to see more pics in the wild if you care to post more.

This picture is pretty bad, huh? :)
I've only had them for about six months or so, but I'll try to grab some pics, that show creasing a bit better.

Averroes1198

Reaction score
My latest additions ...

Merton (black), Monkton (chestnut calf), Tetbury (brown suede)

Shopping spree
biggrin.gif
, you just need to put in some shoetrees!

blueline7

Reaction score
Inaugural wearing of my new Cardiffs.

Hot!! What a great colour.

I know it is annoying to be told this, but you should give the straight-across lace tying a shot. It looks nicer. I was told to do this by a friend, and it was quite annoying, as I thought I knew how to tie my own shoes. As it turns out, I had to watch 2 hours of Youtube videos on the subject, and still couldn't pull it off myself. I had to ask my secretary, who is good at braiding, and promised her the day off if she figured it out. That didn't work either, so I asked my wife for help. That seemed to work initially, but then I couldn't tighten the damn laces. So I had to bring them back to the store for a a tutorial, but I am still hopeless trying to do it myself. Now, I get the store to lace them up for me, as it saves a lot of grief. Who would have thought this would be so difficult lololol?!

TokenMao

Reaction score

I know it is annoying to be told this, but you should give the straight-across lace tying a shot. It looks nicer. I was told to do this by a friend, and it was quite annoying, as I thought I knew how to tie my own shoes. As it turns out, I had to watch 2 hours of Youtube videos on the subject, and still couldn't pull it off myself. I had to ask my secretary, who is good at braiding, and promised her the day off if she figured it out. That didn't work either, so I asked my wife for help. That seemed to work initially, but then I couldn't tighten the damn laces. So I had to bring them back to the store for a a tutorial, but I am still hopeless trying to do it myself. Now, I get the store to lace them up for me, as it saves a lot of grief. Who would have thought this would be so difficult lololol?!

I think that straight bar lacing looks better on an oxford. On a derby, especially in that tan color, I prefer criss cross lacing.

blueline7

Reaction score
I think that straight bar lacing looks better on an oxford. On a derby, especially in that tan color, I prefer criss cross lacing.
That is good to hear, as if there is a consensus that criss-cross works on a derby, it will be a helluva relief for me given my personal limitations in effecting the straight lacing.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

True beauties, though quite daring of you to wear suede in the rain! :)

Thanks B

Thing is they are much more resilient than calf.

Brushed, sprayed with some protector (only occasionally) and left to dry naturally if needed. Simple. These for example are somewhere around 5 years old

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my whiskey and brown shell loafers today. Reaching out to Lauren as both pairs have major creasing around the cups of the shoes. I have included one pic of each pair, but the whiskey has this creasing on just the right shoe on both sides of the cup (that's the worst one, really distorts the shoe) and the brown has this creasing on both shoes, more minor (even though the picture makes it look worse).

While unlined shell cordovan will, inevitably, have creasing, this is on odd non-wear related creasing that I think probably shouldn't have occurred. Sent her a polite request to see if better pairs can be found. Fortunately, spring is several months away, so I have time.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do appreciate the input, although as others have suggested, I do cross cross lacing for all bluchers/derbies and reserve bar lacing for oxfords/balmorals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads