• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

TKDKid

Reaction score

Any suggestions on what C&J lasts fit wide feet well?  My size is 7.5G.  I'm looking for shoes for businesswear (I work in finance in NYC), so I'd want preferably black calf or a really dark brown.  Also, I have a pretty decent instep.  My office isn't far from the boutique on W 56th St, but I'd like to have an idea of what to look at before I go in case the sales associates are clueless.

You can filter the styles by width fittings on C&J's website:

http://www.crockettandjones.com/Collections/US/Mens

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can filter the styles by width fittings on C&J's website:

http://www.crockettandjones.com/Collections/US/Mens
I'm aware of that, but it's the high instep on my feet that gives me pause. Anybody else with a high instep with wide feet wearing C&J?

Also, of the 2 lasts suggested to me, all the shoes in the 341 last don't appeal to me. The Handgrade 337 last has the Weymouth, which I find to be beautiful, but it doesn't come in G fittings, which worries me. I guess the only way to really know for sure is to walk into the boutique and try it on. Hoping the trip won't be for naught as it's been really hard finding a shoe that I like that fits my feet...

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm aware of that, but it's the high instep on my feet that gives me pause.  Anybody else with a high instep with wide feet wearing C&J?

Also, of the 2 lasts suggested to me, all the shoes in the 341 last don't appeal to me.  The Handgrade 337 last has the Weymouth, which I find to be beautiful, but it doesn't come in G fittings, which worries me.  I guess the only way to really know for sure is to walk into the boutique and try it on.  Hoping the trip won't be for naught as it's been really hard finding a shoe that I like that fits my feet...

I've got a high instep and whilst my feet aren't wide, they aren't narrow, either.

I've got a few pairs on the 337 last (Belgrave, Audley) in a regular width that fit well over my instep, although I went up by half a size on my usual size - I usually take a UK 9 but my 337 last shoes are all UK 9.5.

I also have a pair of benchgrade C&J Drummonds on the 348 last in a G width, and this also fits very well over my instep and it's got plenty of width, too. Just to be confusing, I have those in my usual size, a UK 9.

needlejock

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

3 things:
1. many current Peal models are made by C&J, but not all
2. AS at least used to produce shoes under the Peal name (I have a pair)
3. my original post was in reference to the specific model on the link, and I was merely curious if anyone either owned them or had handled them IRL and could confirm they were in fact made by C&J

Of course I called BB to see if I could get a straight answer but that resulted in a combination of frustration and laughter.

A great weekend to one and all.
These are Crockett Jones on 341 Last. I am 100% sure as i'm wearing them, and its hand written inside. They are very similar to the Lowndes 348 last, but with a shorter rounder less chiseled toe box, also slightly wider then the 348. It is the exact same dark brown leather on the current Lowndes. I bought the Lowndes but returned them because I wear a US12 and felt like a leprechaun or wizard, with 2 inches of unused toe box in the front. These look much better on larger feet. Reminds me of the Lobb William if I had to make a comparison... Hope this helps.

needlejock

Reaction score
These are Crockett Jones on 341 Last. I am 100% sure as i'm wearing them, and its hand written inside. They are very similar to the Lowndes 348 last, but with a shorter rounder less chiseled toe box, also slightly wider then the 348. It is the exact same dark brown leather on the current Lowndes. I bought the Lowndes but returned them because I wear a US12 and felt like a leprechaun or wizard, with 2 inches of unused toe box in the front. These look much better on larger feet. Reminds me of the Lobb William if I had to make a comparison... Hope this helps.
This is in reference to a question about the current Peal and Co Double monks at Brooks Brothers.... Crockett Jones on 341 last...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've got a high instep and whilst my feet aren't wide, they aren't narrow, either.

I've got a few pairs on the 337 last (Belgrave, Audley) in a regular width that fit well over my instep, although I went up by half a size on my usual size - I usually take a UK 9 but my 337 last shoes are all UK 9.5.

I also have a pair of benchgrade C&J Drummonds on the 348 last in a G width, and this also fits very well over my instep and it's got plenty of width, too. Just to be confusing, I have those in my usual size, a UK 9.

That advice re 337 is pretty apt. I should be able to fit a 9.5UK but they were just too tight/snug. The UK10 are more like true US11s and are very comfortable especially by afternoon when you have been walking around a bit.

tacobender

Reaction score
Happy late Friday night.
The C and J markdowns just got announced for the summer sale....I'm expecting a usual 35% markdown...
as always just email me @ rtischler@barneys for size requests and I will let you know what store has your size.
I cant always get to pms thru out the day so best to email me...

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Search-Show?q=501965803
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Search-Show?q=502288992
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Search-Show?q=502289008
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Search-Show?q=502289024
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Search-Show?q=502434571
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Search-Show?q=502434603

Thanks and always looking forward to you guys flooding my inbox!
ryan

Ahriman4891

Reaction score

I'm aware of that, but it's the high instep on my feet that gives me pause.  Anybody else with a high instep with wide feet wearing C&J?

Also, of the 2 lasts suggested to me, all the shoes in the 341 last don't appeal to me.  The Handgrade 337 last has the Weymouth, which I find to be beautiful, but it doesn't come in G fittings, which worries me.  I guess the only way to really know for sure is to walk into the boutique and try it on.  Hoping the trip won't be for naught as it's been really hard finding a shoe that I like that fits my feet...

I am 8EEE on the Brannock device, with a high instep and a narrow heel (which creates its own problems - the shoe's heel needs to be suitably narrow so that the foot is properly "secured" inside).

I just got C&J Radstocks in 7.5G from the NYC store a couple of weeks ago, and so far they seem to be good fit-wise. I like their shape, but then again I have accepted that my feet are not made for sleek shoes :nodding: Will probably go there again to try something on last 325 in G width.

The only other shoes that feel good on me are Allen-Edmonds on last #8 in 8.5 EEE (and they don't make anything good-looking on that last any longer).

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am 8EEE on the Brannock device, with a high instep and a narrow heel (which creates its own problems - the shoe's heel needs to be suitably narrow so that the foot is properly "secured" inside).

I just got C&J Radstocks in 7.5G from the NYC store a couple of weeks ago, and so far they seem to be good fit-wise. I like their shape, but then again I have accepted that my feet are not made for sleek shoes :nodding: Will probably go there again to try something on last 325 in G width.

The only other shoes that feel good on me are Allen-Edmonds on last #8 in 8.5 EEE (and they don't make anything good-looking on that last any longer).

I'm going through this same issue right now, I am a 10.5 EEE on the brannock scale, in AE shoes i fit a 10.5 EEE.

UK experience consists of a pair of GGs in size 10.5 G (TG73 last), which fit quite well. The NYC store tells me they carry all the available wide sized G width C&Js, so my only question would be what size to pick.

I want to pick my same GG size of 10.5 G, but maybe i should pick a smaller 10 G

Last edited:

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
JubeiSpiegel:
My experience is limited to C&J last 341. One thing I found somewhat surprising is a very pronounced size difference between 8G and 7.5G. My feet were literally floating inside 8G, and they were at least half an inch longer than 7.5G IIRC. They looked visibly off on my feet in the mirror. Just for comparison, 7.5 C&J Radstock is the same length as 8.5 AE Hale; the AEs seem longer due to more pronounced welt, but the actual body of the shoe is only ~1/8th of an inch longer, if that (naked eye measurements).

Don't know which last you are considering, but you may have to step a full size down.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JubeiSpiegel:
My experience is limited to C&J last 341. One thing I found somewhat surprising is a very pronounced size difference between 8G and 7.5G. My feet were literally floating inside 8G, and they were at least half an inch longer than 7.5G IIRC. They looked visibly off on my feet in the mirror. Just for comparison, 7.5 C&J Radstock is the same length as 8.5 AE Hale; the AEs seem longer due to more pronounced welt, but the actual body of the shoe is only ~1/8th of an inch longer, if that (naked eye measurements).

Don't know which last you are considering, but you may have to step a full size down.

I am looking at the Radstock & Brecon on the 341 last.

I think the AE Hale was on the 8 last, which i take a half size larger than other AE lasts, so 11 EEE US. In this case, would you suggest UK 10 G for the 341 last? My main concern is usually width, not so much length.

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Yes, Hale was on last 8-108. My main concern is usually also width.

Don't want to give you bad advice, since everyone's feet are different and I don't know if C&J's spacing between sizes is proportionally the same in the 10-11 range as in the 7-8 range. But assuming my experience extrapolates to your size range, yes, you'll need 10G in 341 vs 11EEE in 8-108.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Not sure if these have been posted, but either way, they're worth another look:

http://www.barneys.com/Crockett-Jones-Coniston/502760240,default,pd.html?cgid=mens-shoes&index=26

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coniston in smooth leather, wtf? They look more like my Harlechs, though obviously they're cordovan...

They appear to me to be dark brown calf, and the price point suggests calf, when compared to the BB C&J Coniston boot in shell cordovan for 998. Nice boot though.

But perhaps your comment about cordovan is towards the Harlechs, not the Barney's Coniston.....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads