• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a very shallow foot and the 363 worked well for me recently (see the boot above). The Jermyn Street staff kindly added full leather insoles, which helped a lot.

The 360-handgrade last. Comes with full insoles standard. 
I have a very shallow foot and the 363 worked well for me recently (see the boot above). The Jermyn Street staff kindly added full leather insoles, which helped a lot.

The 360-handgrade last. Comes with full insoles standard. 

Thanks guys!

Skyfell

Reaction score

Just got a response from C&J saying they will send me some hooks to be installed by my local cobbler. They also said that if there's any issue I can send them the boots.

Good news Mickey,

Hope wearing them in good health again very soon. Is beautiful boot, love mine!!

Skyfell

Reaction score

Recently, I received a couple of new pairs of C&J shoes: 341 Sydney 9.5E loafers in dark brown burnished calf (on left) and 348 Edgeware 10E oxfords in dark brown burnished calf (on right). (@Cleav agreed, the dark brown burnished calf are great, mate. Thanks for the earlier advice!) The new Sydney loafers will join my earlier ones in black calf, to form a mated pair. The Edgeware oxfords are my alternative to MTO Westbourne in dark brown burnished calf. However, I may end up getting both. Hmm. I sent a pair of Sydney loafers in snuff suede back for exchange for MTO Teign loafers in snuff suede, i.e. exactly the same as the stock model available from C&J France. Alas, I tried unsuccessfully to source a pair via C&J UK. So, I will be forced to go down the MTO route, if I can't source a pair directly from C&J France presently. @PCK1 again, thanks for recommending the sleeker Teign loafers to me, which I prefer over the more chunky Sydney loafers as my preferred C&J suede loafers.
Beautiful Edgewares Kiwi :slayer:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Brunswicks.

Although they are featured here with Double Monk's generic trees, I did not in fact purchase them from Double Monk, but from American Tailors in Melbourne.

Very pleased.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a half hour to kill in midtown yesterday, so I popped into Paul Stuart. It's not on their site, but I wanted to mention they had several C&Js on sale, including the Severn boot that Barney's and Sky Valet carry:
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandwar...t-Show?pid=503639720&cgid=mens-shoes&index=30
https://skyvaletshoes.com/product/crockett-jones-severn-boot-dark-brown-burnished-calf/

There were several different styles of it including brown suede and navy suede and I think they were all marked down to $378 IIRC. Pretty good price so if you have any interest it in, give the store a call.

Last edited:

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a half hour to kill in midtown yesterday, so I popped into Paul Stuart. It's not on their site, but I wanted to mention they had several C&Js on sale, including the Severn boot that Barney's and Sky Valet carry:
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandwar...t-Show?pid=503639720&cgid=mens-shoes&index=30
https://skyvaletshoes.com/product/crockett-jones-severn-boot-dark-brown-burnished-calf/

There were several different styles of it including brown suede and navy suede and I think they were all marked down to $378 IIRC. Pretty good price so if you have any interest it in, give the store a call.

That is a damn fine looking boot. Does anyone know which last it's on? It looks pretty narrow.

Fred - was the brown suede dark or snuff?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is a damn fine looking boot.  Does anyone know which last it's on?  It looks pretty narrow.

Fred - was the brown suede dark or snuff?

I can't remember the last now. It was dark brown like the Barney's version though. There were other C&Js too including the wingtip monk that @othertravel asked about here which was definitely on the 348. The Severn boot in came in navy suede, and at least one other color in calf, I just can't remember. I should have taken pics.

Faster

Reaction score
Looking for some more feedback....

I currently own a couple of C&J Finsbury/341 last and want to get a Skye 2 boot which is a 335 last. Wondering if anyone has gone through this, looking for any pointers or concerns, do I size down?

Thank you

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supersad at the moment.
frown.gif

Today I got in my inbox the speed hooks that C&J sent me (they took less than 48 hours from UK to Spain) after one of the hooks in my Islays came off the 3rd time I wore them (maybe I'm stupid but they're my nicest boots at the moment so I baby them and wear them in special occasions).

So I took them to my cobbler (best in town... sigh) and he did this:

Completely misaligned and he applied too much pressure so now the leather has a visible fold and who knows how much damage there is. Also the hooks are silver and the original ones brown.
frown.gif
Trying to avoid sending the boots was a terrible idea in the end.

I've contacted C&J again, I want this fixed by them even if I have to pay.

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I know it's a first world problem but this left me very sad after a day that was not great either (at work and outside).

adebisi

Reaction score

@adebisi
 it appears to say "LECBURY".  Let's see, two-eyelets (check), squarish chiseled toe (check), and sounds like "TETBURY" (check).  Perhaps, we're looking at an early version or a special variation of the current 348 Tetbury boots.  Also, the above boots are in sand colour and have desert soles, which makes them closer to real desert boot than the present Tetbury.  Anyway, nice score -- especially if you intend them for hot climate/desert/beach use.

P.S. Welcome to the thread @Faster
!

Thx dude ! :D

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MickeyPunch , have you realized that the hook is different colour when you received it? Why installing the different colour in the first place?

Question is would CJ accept to pay the postage in both direction from Spain to UK and back. That alone would cost at least 40 EUR .. Don't blame yourself for trying to deal this on your own. However, I would have asked for a full refund or exchange in the first place.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MickeyPunch , have you realized that the hook is different colour when you received it? Why installing the different colour in the first place?

Question is would CJ accept to pay the postage in both direction from Spain to UK and back. That alone would cost at least 40 EUR .. Don't blame yourself for trying to deal this on your own. However, I would have asked for a full refund or exchange in the first place.

To be honest I'm stupid and didn't realize the hook was of a different colour... I had the boots in their dust bags inside the box and didn't take them out until I was at the cobbler. If the cobbler noticed he couldn't care less. I noticed only at home.

Also it's strange because there seem to be some Islays with silver hooks out there:

I'm perfectly fine if I have to pay for shipping costs. The bad work done by my local cobbler is not C&J's fault. I just tried to avoid having to ship the boots and then wait, I hate waiting. I learned the hard way that I should have just shipped them.

So far C&J customer service has been excellent (except for sending in the wrong colour hooks, which is an understandable mistake if there are Islays with silver hooks). I sent the email on Sunday, got a reply on Monday morning (saying I could send the boots if my cobbler had any issue putting the hook in place) and today I had the hooks in my mailbox.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads