• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

CTBrummie

Reaction score

How often do you have to re-apply the Sno-Seal? I was planning on using it for a pair of boots this winter.

All depends on how often the boots are exposed to the elements, mate.

Most of my boots and shoes are designed for walking and they all tend to get waxed a couple of times a year with similar products, more if they need it.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monitoring my wife to ensure she's following the Mac method for breaking in her Chelsea boots. Most expensive footwear she's ever bought. I think I've created a monster...

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Five or six years ago I bought two pairs of Grasmere shoes - one black, one tan. I'm very fond of country grain and like them a lot - the last suits me very well. Last week I bought another pair of black Grasmeres - the original pair are still in quite good order but had become quite scratched.

The new pair appear to be made from a rather different grade of leather - the pebble grain is somewhat more defined, which I like, but the leather seems rather stiffer, which I'm uncertain about. I'm quite sure the original Grasmeres were always softer, it's not a question of their having become softer with age.

I would be grateful if C&J's spokesman could comment on whether the sourcing of their leather could have changed in this time.
Dear Isbister,

There is a big possibility that we could have changed supplier in that time, although it would only have been out of necessity, following a reduction in quality of the previous leather or lack of availability etc.

All the best,
CandJOnline

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Monitoring my wife to ensure she's following the Mac method for breaking in her Chelsea boots. Most expensive footwear she's ever bought. I think I've created a monster...
BootSpell, how did you get your wife into premium footwear? My GF wears 3yr old run over Bjorn walkers and insists that she's just fine.

OREO

Reaction score

Picked up these Tetburys today in the Crockett and Jones flagship store in London. Very happy with them and the service!

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BootSpell, how did you get your wife into premium footwear? My GF wears 3yr old run over Bjorn walkers and insists that she's just fine.

Be, why would you want your GF to be into premium footwear??? That could be distrastrous for her budget (maybe yours, too?)! Seriously, my wife usually looks for sales and buys nice enough looking shoes/boots but cheap ones. They inevitably disintegrate in a year or two. I'm not sure she's still "into" premium footwear but I'm still kinda worried.

In this case, she was waiting for me in the C&J store on Jermyn St while I was trying on boots and we were there for probably a couple of hours. She kept watching the C&J sales girls walking by and finally asked about the shoes/boots they were wearing. That was the end of that. She spent more than I did that day.

I have a feeling it was just because we were on vacation and she felt less reluctant to spend money. We'll have to see going forward. Why don't you try buying your GF a nice pair that you think she'd look good in?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Islays in Bronze Oil Nubuck/Dainite rubber soles after a few weeks of wear

Those look great! Hadn't seen that makeup before. Where did you get them?

BTW, welcome to SF.

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All depends on how often the boots are exposed to the elements, mate.

Most of my boots and shoes are designed for walking and they all tend to get waxed a couple of times a year with similar products, more if they need it.

I'm going to probably be wearing them once a week. I don't plan on hiking in them or anything rugged, just commuting to and fro from work. They'll experience rain/snow/ice for sure. Do you think re-applying every 3 to 4 months should be sufficient?

Somatic

Reaction score
Do any of you order C&J off the internet? Seems like Barney's is the only online retailer here in the States. Any recommended UK ones? May end up being cheaper actually if they subtract the VAT.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Bodileys, Edwards of Manchester, and Pediwear. I hear good things, albeit, sometimes difficult to source. If all fails, try contacting a C&J store directly...

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you order C&J off the internet? Seems like Barney's is the only online retailer here in the States. Any recommended UK ones? May end up being cheaper actually if they subtract the VAT.
If you search, there was a recent discussion on other online retailers in the US. One is Ben Silver. I think you are right, though --- UK may end up being cheaper.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
I'm going to probably be wearing them once a week. I don't plan on hiking in them or anything rugged, just commuting to and fro from work. They'll experience rain/snow/ice for sure. Do you think re-applying every 3 to 4 months should be sufficient?

If you're wearing them once a week then my gut feeling is that every three to four months might be overkill, but you never know. You don't want to saturate them with whatever product you choose to use as it'll make them heavy, greasy and potentially darken the leather. I walk miles in my boots and they only get done at the start of autumn and at the end of winter as a rule, although this isn't set in stone.

Bear in mind, too, that most 'country' boots and shoes will be made from leather that is more water-resistant to standard, 'dress' calf - and will often have been treated with wax as part of the tanning process.

With stuff like Sno-Seal, Chelsea Leather Food and Obenauf's HDLP less is definitely more...

CandJONLINE - are any of your leathers considered to be 'waxy' leathers and if so, which ones please? Do your country calf leathers fall into this category?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads