• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
C&J Swansea in green shell cordovan
20240408_163755.jpg

20240408_163710.jpg

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
I've had my eye on these. Have you found that the color has lightened considerably over time?
My pair is about six years old and it has lightened noticeably but not considerably. The photo was taken in direct sunlight. When buying C&J brown shell new, the actual colour can vary significantly. I own three dark brown shell shoes/boots from C&J and "dark brown" is dark brown on one pair and more a mid-brown on the others.

Marmite89

Reaction score
My pair is about six years old and it has lightened noticeably but not considerably. The photo was taken in direct sunlight. When buying C&J brown shell new, the actual colour can vary significantly. I own three dark brown shell shoes/boots from C&J and "dark brown" is dark brown on one pair and more a mid-brown on the others.
My Bradford’s are the first pair of proper GYW shoes I bought. More than 10 years old now. Mine have become a deep reddish brown, probably from the use of Saphir’s “Cordovan” coloured cream. Beautiful shoes!

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
My first pair of GYW shoes: Alt Wien, model Bach, made by C&J, on double leather soles, nine years old.
I did not know much about good shoes back then and did not notice that it is some kind of corrected grain leather. However, they are nice and well manufactured and still are in very good shape.

IMG_7069.JPG

IMG_7068.JPG

hendralely

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster and long time lurker here (since around 2018). I have learned a lot about GYW shoes and maintenance from this forum. So thank you guys!

Since then, I have acquired 8 pairs of C&J shoes. I was planning to go for 12, but I think I'll have to stop now since they keep increasing price and getting too expensive for me now 😂

IMG_2480.jpeg

Wembley Dark Brown Calf
IMG_E2481.jpeg

Highbury Black Calf
IMG_2482.jpeg

Hallam Dark Brown Calf
IMG_2483.jpeg

Courtenay Black Calf
IMG_2484.jpeg

Weymouth II Dark Brown Calf
IMG_2485.jpeg

Lonsdale Black Calf
IMG_2486.jpeg

Courtenay Dark Brown Calf
IMG_2487.jpeg

Alex Black Calf
IMG_2489.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

jellyroller

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster and long time lurker here (since around 2018). I have learned a lot about GYW shoes and maintenance from this forum. So thank you guys!

Since then, I have acquired 8 pairs of C&J shoes. I was planning to go for 12, but I think I'll have to stop now since they keep increasing price and getting too expensive for me now 😂

View attachment 2165417

Wembley Dark Brown Calf
View attachment 2165419

Highbury Black Calf
View attachment 2165421

Hallam Dark Brown Calf
View attachment 2165423

Courtenay Black Calf
View attachment 2165425

Weymouth II Dark Brown Calf
View attachment 2165427

Lonsdale Black Calf
View attachment 2165429

Courtenay Dark Brown Calf
View attachment 2165431

Alex Black Calf
View attachment 2165433

Thanks for looking!

Excellent collection. What are your toe mirror shine secrets?

hendralely

Reaction score
Excellent collection. What are your toe mirror shine secrets?

Hi! Thanks for the compliment.

There's no secret at all. I use Saphir products. The usual Renomat -> Renovateur -> cream wax -> hard wax route. For the mirror shine, I'm using their mirror gloss wax out of curiosity, but I'll get back to my old dried-out hard wax method in the future. I get higher shine with it.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for the compliment.

There's no secret at all. I use Saphir products. The usual Renomat -> Renovateur -> cream wax -> hard wax route. For the mirror shine, I'm using their mirror gloss wax out of curiosity, but I'll get back to my old dried-out hard wax method in the future. I get higher shine with it.
How often do you use Renomat? I assume not often as it is harsh stuff. I have been thinking lately about whether using it on occasion helps to move the wax into the pores of the leather and create a better mirror. The best shine I have on any of my boots/shoes are the two pairs that have had the toe cleaned with Renomat.

Sp0o0kyC

Reaction score
Hey all,

Has anyone else noticed the boot boxes getting smaller? I just received a new pair of Chelsea 11s and after trying them on and trying to put them away, I realized I was struggling more than I should have been. I finally got them squared away nicely and decided to see if the box is smaller than my other 4 C&J boots (all the same size) and the new box is less wide and less deep. The shoe bags are also different in that they feel less plush but are considerably larger. Overall don't care for this change and just wondering if anyone else noticed.

1000010563.jpg

hendralely

Reaction score
How often do you use Renomat? I assume not often as it is harsh stuff. I have been thinking lately about whether using it on occasion helps to move the wax into the pores of the leather and create a better mirror. The best shine I have on any of my boots/shoes are the two pairs that have had the toe cleaned with Renomat.
Hi! I use it every time. More on the toes and heels as they get mirror polished and can get built up quickly.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Brown Islays, Suede Rough-out & Scotch Grain, yesterday and today.

20240411_133417.jpg
20240411_133348.jpg
20240412_083117.jpg
20240412_083142.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads