• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question For Those That Are Married

Hey Man

Reaction score
We all know that the flame usually dies out in a marriage, but can anyone admit that they are not really sexually attracted to their wife/husband anymore - despite the love you may still have with them.

Did they change? Are they no longer your type of woman/man? Did they let themselves go right after the wedding? What's your story?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like most of my friends' wives let themselves go
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I get married I will leave the healthy threat of divorce in the air just so that she doesn't get fat!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
devil.gif

Now sing along!

76classic

Reaction score
It seems to me that both people let themselves go, but women catch it the hardest because society tells them they have to look a certain way. Both partners tend to let up and get comfortable. My advice is be proactive and lead by example. You don't want your wife to let herself, then you have to be the same. That being said, I've just got married but I have been with my woman for nearly 9 years. You just have to keep working. Ironically, I dressed like a bum before I met my wife. I had to bring myself up to standard because going out into public was getting to be slightly embarrassing.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
when I get married I will leave the healthy threat of divorce in the air just so that she doesn't get fat!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
devil.gif

Now sing along!

How toolish. I am sure your kids will love the explanation that you had to leave mommy cause she got pudgy.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
How toolish. I am sure your kids will love the explanation that you had to leave mommy cause she got pudgy.

GQgeek is a bitter divorced man who's never been married. Please ignore.

76classic

Reaction score
This might not be popular, but sometimes the flame dies because the man just stops being "the man". I've seen it. Yes, those lazy sex having, video game playing, ESPN watching, and beer belly drinking are the first ones to complain that their wives let themselves go. Maybe they should look at their wife a little closely, they may just see themselves.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
GQ's take on women and marriage always makes me sad.

My wife takes care of herself, and I think she gets prettier every year, but she also becomes a better woman every year which is even nicer.

flylot74

Reaction score
There is an old saying that familiarity breeds contempt. Now I'm not going to particularly espouse that concept, however there is a phenomena about living life together and the sheer repetition of daily activity has taken the "sparkle" out of certain relationships.

What most fail to realize is that when young and married, often control and financial issues start to arise, couple that with kids, and we now have a tense and possible hostile environment that can lead to an unhappy relationship.

Marriage takes a lot of work. It is each persons responsibility to communicate adequately and honest, trust me it's a tough row to hoe.

I've been married three times! Divorced the first one, my second spouse died and have been happily married now for twelve years (I'm old, OK?). At my age, I can see trouble in relationships before it happens, after a while you can tell if things simply won't work...... respect, integrity and commitment have a lot to do with it.

An old line come to mind..."I've been happily married for three years! Hey! Three out of twenty ain't bad!"
smile.gif

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah id imagine even if your wife doesnt gain weight or lose her beauty or whatever, the sexual flame is bound to die out.

Even if youre dating the hottest girl around, youre bound to at some point not be as attracted or not be attracted at all to her.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
GQ's take on women and marriage always makes me sad.

Well particularly given the fact that the whole 'Sean Connery-bang 'em and leave 'em-too much of a hardass for emotions" schtick sort of hinges on actually banging the women.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the OP's point, I think part of it is that some women simply age better. I mean stuff that you can control- weight, muscle tone, etc.- aside, some women have faces and skin and whatever that look better at a given age than others.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My wife takes care of herself, and I think she gets prettier every year, but she also becomes a better woman every year which is even nicer.

Now if she could just stop reading all your SF posts...
laugh.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I got married, I was in the gym 6-9 hours a week. then, I had to chose between sitting on the couch with my wife, or being in a gym with a bunch of stinking rats. I chose the one that led to a quick hundred pound wieght gain.

I work hard, and travel for work. my wife deals with 3 kids, two of which are babies. we are tired a lot of the time, and I am guessing that neither of us our as hot as we used to be. so, frankly, there is a hell of a lot less sex than their used to be. if I told you how little, you would never get married.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads