• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preventing Armpit Stains?

stuartSan

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was ironing some of my shirts today and noticed patches of white on my black shirts, and patches of yellow on my whites.

They're not really obvious, but I don't like the idea of donning shirts with armpit stains, no matter how little, to a party or club.

I do sweat a lot, and I do use deodorants and anti-perspirants too. I'm guessing either one could be the culprit, but my deodorants are usually clear liquids, as opposed to the chalky white kind.

Any idea how I could prevent these stains? Thanks.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the aluminum in anti-persperant is what causes the stains. switch to deoderant only. you can also try something like tea tree oil, etc...

sorry, everyone sweats...

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stuartSan
Hey guys. I was ironing some of my shirts today and noticed patches of white on my black shirts, and patches of yellow on my whites. They're not really obvious, but I don't like the idea of donning shirts with armpit stains, no matter how little, to a party or club. I do sweat a lot, and I do use deodorants and anti-perspirants too. I'm guessing either one could be the culprit, but my deodorants are usually clear liquids, as opposed to the chalky white kind. Any idea how I could prevent these stains? Thanks.
I think the stains are from aluminum in dedorants. I have heard that oxyclean will remove the stains. I try to stay away from those dedorants and use more natural products, even if it does require me to either change or shower later in the day
plain.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Close fitting undershirts is my solution. Shaving your pits also helps because sweat and stuff can't aggregate along the hairs, which are more likely to touch the fabric.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
stop using antipersperant, not just because it stains yours shirts though. The aluminum can clog up your pores which can lead to breast cancer (not just for chicks).

scog

Reaction score
Clear vs. white deoderant/anti-perspirant doesn't make a difference, 99% of the time that's just the same active ingredient in different mixtures. Anything with an aluminum compound in it will cause the stains. I tried switching to a non-aluminum deoderant/anti-perspirant for a few days but I found that it just wasn't very effective as a deoderant, so I switched back and instead wear v-neck undershirts with shirts that I'm worried about staining.

capnpyro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Wait... what? V-necks prevent your arm-pits from sweating?

Yes smartass, they prevent my armpits sweating onto a more expensive outer shirt. The thread title is 'Preventing Armpit Stains' so I guess you're right, my v-necks get stained which I couldn't really care less about.

calvin1663

Reaction score
yeah, aluminium has been linked to alzheimers, I believe...there are some anti-perspirants out there w/o aluminium, but i forget which ones...

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Switching from an AL antipersp to Toms was 100% effective for me.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
Yes smartass, they prevent my armpits sweating onto a more expensive outer shirt. The thread title is 'Preventing Armpit Stains' so I guess you're right, my v-necks get stained which I couldn't really care less about.
Smartass? Honestly, I hadn't the slightest clue what the **** you were talking about. Maybe v-neck undershirt' would have been more appropriate. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsgtfo1984