• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada Linea Rossa?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Then again, this is a forum called "style forum" rather than whatever you seem to want out of your clothes which from this thread seems like pure utility. Regardless, i'm sure you look pretty poor walking around the city and going to the clubs so as long as you're having fun and are comfy.
I actually liked the look versus the alternatives mentioned in this thread. then again, i also like minimalist, black on black, ballistic nylon look (i.e. tumi), which is what these shoes kind of reminded me of. maybe that's eurotrash. who knows.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to revive this thread, can anyone comment on the quality difference between the old Italian Prada runners and the new Vietnamese ones? I really like these shoes. but am leary about the quality. http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...13529cat226105 I wouldn't wear them often, but would expect them to last a long time. I know common projects and converse do the same styles and has a better reps around here, but I can't find any chuck's with that color of suede, and common projects seem much more expensive.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Just to revive this thread, can anyone comment on the quality difference between the old Italian Prada runners and the new Vietnamese ones? I really like these shoes. but am leary about the quality.

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...13529cat226105

I wouldn't wear them often, but would expect them to last a long time. I know common projects and converse do the same styles and has a better reps around here, but I can't find any chuck's with that color of suede, and common projects seem much more expensive.

http://www.revolveclothing.com/Displ...Sep+25&d=b&n=n

CPs, sold out at 150, probably still some on supermarket/marketplace if you looked

can guarantee you that cps are better quality

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Just to revive this thread, can anyone comment on the quality difference between the old Italian Prada runners and the new Vietnamese ones? I really like these shoes. but am leary about the quality. http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...13529cat226105 I wouldn't wear them often, but would expect them to last a long time. I know common projects and converse do the same styles and has a better reps around here, but I can't find any chuck's with that color of suede, and common projects seem much more expensive.
It's probably just psychological, but the new MIV America's Cup sneaks feel clunkier and stiffer to me than the older MII ones that I had back in 2002-03. From what I've heard, though, the MIV ones hold up just fine over time, so perhaps they are the same, only made in cheaper factories in Vietnam out of the same materials. SO, I'd say quality will be fine and they'll hold up like any other top-end suede shoe, though I don't own any MIV Prada shoe (the last one I bought, Made in Italy, was in 2004). What bothers me is that Prada raised its prices while cheapening the manufacture; Vietnam is chosen often for products because it is cheaper even than china. Even China is outsourcing there.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
What bothers me is that Prada raised its prices while cheapening the manufacture; Vietnam is chosen often for products because it is cheaper even than china. Even China is outsourcing there.

Because of this, I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy them despite them being very attractive shoes.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I have a pair of the old Americas Cups shoes in grey and white. I do not wear them anymore, they are kind of big and chunky. The leather is decent quality and I think they are really comfortable. I also imagine they will last a long time as the soles are so thick. I have not bought a pair of Prada shoes in a really long time so I do not know what the quality is like anymore but frankly they are just a waste of money at around $300. You can get a better looking pair of sneakers for $60.

FidelCashflow have you looked at Tretorn shoes before? They make some pretty nice sleek looking tennis shoes.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Great thread! I was contemplating getting a pair of the MIV Prada sneakers at $180CAD, but after reading Prof. Fab's incredibly informative posts I have changed my mind. I suppose I can hold out for the MII Prada sneakers to come down in price, but they are still well over $300CAD on sale.
frown.gif

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I actually liked the look versus the alternatives mentioned in this thread.

then again, i also like minimalist, black on black, ballistic nylon look (i.e. tumi), which is what these shoes kind of reminded me of. maybe that's eurotrash. who knows.

Idk why, but I picture steve jobs in his turtleneck, newbalance (lets switch em for black ones), and dad jeans when you say that hah.

personally, I don't really care for the sneaker. Then again, I never wear sneakers.

While I respect your opinion, I think there is a very odd assumption that a Prada sneaker is "more than just any old sneaker". Take off the red strip label and you've got a pretty regular sneaker.

on that though, last time I was in new york, I happened to meet some very "ghetto" people that loved to pair these sneakers with ed hardy t-shirts to hit the clubs.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, I like them still, my go-to everyday shoes really. they hold up quite well and i have abused them pretty badly. unlike sneakers, they haven't really gotten ratty at all.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how times have changed... i just bought a pair of america's cup (50% off!) for $240... apparently just 3 years previous they were selling for $300 which was outrageous since they were made in vietnam. (now $480.. made in vietnam).

i think the sole is thicker though.

its funny, but 3 years ago i thought these pradas were the ugliest things possible but... theres just something about them that is more enduring for me than the CPs i raged over 3 years ago.

conclusion after wearing them for about an hour? not that comfy at first, but feels like once they break in they will be a favorite.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still wearing them after 4+ years...very frequent wear and still going strong, looking relatively new. I have 2 pairs of CPs that are collecting dust, just not that happy with them versus these shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads