• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pie? Or Cake? A Poll

Which is better?

• Pie, you flippin' communist

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Cake, you rube

Votes: 27 48.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in reality, a cheesecake is more of a custard but made with cream cheese. The inclusion of a crust lends itself more to pie than cake (kind of like why pumpkin pie is not called pumpkin cake)

Exactly. It's a baked custard, which is far closer to pie than cake.

I've had plenty of "good" cake... But in just about every instance, I would have rather had a pie.

I mean, tell me a good warm apple, blueberry, or pecan pie with vanilla bean ice cream on top is not better than some bland cake. TELL ME.

omnomnomnomnomnom

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is not better.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Also: Cheesecake is neither cake nor good.

WRONG!

Pie is only more reliable if you grade on the most generous curve ever conceived. Most pie is crappy. Soggy, tasteless crust. Overly sweet filling. Ugh, that **** is foul.

And most cake is what? Tasteless and dry cake from a box recipe and disgusting sweet duncan hines icing from a plastic container. Plus everybody is putting ****** things on top of the cake, like outdated sprinkles and pictures of whichever asshole is having the birthday.

No thanks.

Pie, on the other hand, still has it's dignity.

Chocolate Bourbon Walnut Pie

Pecan pie

Chicken Pot Pie

Pizza Pie

Pie charts

By every available metric pie is superiour to cake.

As illustrated above, pie is both dinner and desert, and is therefore superior to cake.

I'm having dinner at Pi tonight. Pie will be eaten.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whiskey Apple Pie
1 Basic 9" Double Pie Crust (unbaked)
6 or 7 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (1/4 - 1/3 inch thick)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
2 tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a saucepan, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Add the bourbon and lemon juice, and whisk until evenly blended.
Cook over medium-high heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture boils and thickens slightly.
Add the apples and stir and toss them until evenly coated with the mixture.
Set aside for about 20 minutes, stirring twice.
Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust, mounding slightly in the center.
Cover with top crust and seal the edges. Cut several steam vents.
Bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 45 minutes.

You can put liquor in a pie and it's still respectable. Anyone putting liquor in a cake is a ******* lush.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Holy **** that sounds good

Nobody ever tells a woman to "go in the kitchen and make me some cake".

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As illustrated above, pie is both dinner and desert, and is therefore superior to cake.

Dude, Pie is breakfast too.

What happens if you have cake for breakfast?

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would destroy that whiskey apple pie. Delicious.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pie is lunch, too. After all what is an empanada or a calzone or a stromboli but a hand pie?

Spicy Chicken Empanadas

1 whole chicken breast (1 pound), skin removed
1/2 white onion, halved
1 dried bay leaf
1 fresh poblano chile
6 cups (48 ounces) vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground canela (Mexican cinnamon) or regular cinnamon
4 canned plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, coarsely chopped
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted and coarsely chopped
Empanada Dough
1/2 cup shredded queso blanco
1/4 cup sugar, for sprinkling
Crema pura or sour cream, for serving (optional)
Directions

Make filling: Place chicken breast, half the onion, and the bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and poach until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; reserve 1 cup cooking liquid, and discard onion and bay leaf. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred meat from the bone with a fork; set aside.

Roast poblano chile directly over a gas flame, turning as each side blackens and blisters. (Alternatively, roast chile under the broiler.) Transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap; let steam 10 minutes. Remove plastic wrap; peel off and discard blackened chile skin. Remove stem, seeds, and ribs; discard. Slice chile into 1/4-inch strips; set aside.

Finely chop remaining onion. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic; saute until soft and translucent. Stir in cumin and canela; cook 1 minute. Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, chipotle, poblano, and reserved cooking liquid. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until liquid has thickened, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper; stir in cilantro and pepitas. Set aside to cool.

Make empanadas: Break off a 1 1/2-inch ball of empanada dough. On a clean work surface, roll dough into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Using a 3 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out a round of dough. (Or use an inverted glass as a guide, cutting around it with a sharp paring knife.)

Place 1 teaspoon filling in center of each round; sprinkle with cheese. Using a pastry brush, moisten edges of dough with water; fold dough over to seal, pressing gently. Crimp edges with a fork; set aside. Repeat with remaining dough. Gather scraps and reroll. (Only do this once, to avoid toughening the dough.)

Pour remaining oil into a medium saucepan; oil should be 2 inches deep. Place over medium heat until oil reaches 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Working with a few empanadas at a time to avoid overcrowding, fry until golden, turning once, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to drain on a paper-towel lined baking sheet. While still hot, sprinkle tops with sugar. Serve immediately with crema pura or cream on the side, if desired.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because I have integrity, I will acknowledge that I would prefer an egg pie to an egg cake.

However, you cannot claim pizza as part of the genus Pie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads