• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P Johnson Tailors - San Francisco and Los Angeles Visit - May

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P Johnson Tailors will be visiting San Francisco May 3-5 and Los Angeles May 1-2.

The following is information they send about their visit:

We will be conducting fittings in cities around the US every 6-8 weeks. Fitting's and consultations take about an hour and the turnaround time is 6-8 weeks for when we return to your city. So I would say around the first weekend of July.

We offer a different finishes/makes at a few price points. Below is a run down.

We have two workshops, one in Rome, the other in Naples.

There are two finishes in the Rome workshop;

- CLASSIC, which is 95% machine finished with some hand work starting from $1,300 USD no tax for non NY residents.
- ROMA, which is completely finished by hand, including topstitch, buttonholes sleeve & collar attachment etc. Starting at $ 1,600 USD no tax for non NY residents.

Then there is the Naples workshop that is completely Hand-made Starting at $ 2,800 USD and it is completely custom.

Shirts start at $225 USD.

We carry cloths from Loro Piana, Delphino, Ariston, Barbera's, Dugdale, Zegna & more.

.... & we also make casual sports coats, trousers etc.

We also bring over ties, pocket squares, polo's and other accessories to LA & San Fran.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who followed the classic menswear days of Phat Guido knows that a P Johnson Suit can look pretty damn good. What I like is that the construction and fabrics are done with warmer weather climates in mind, so ideal for California. In addition, just looking at his Lookbook, shows a touch of a relaxed Aussie style which, to me is ideal in California and most other casual business locations.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anyone who followed the classic menswear days of Phat Guido knows that a P Johnson Suit can look pretty damn good. What I like is that the construction and fabrics are done with warmer weather climates in mind, so ideal for California. In addition, just looking at his Lookbook, shows a touch of a relaxed Aussie style which, to me is ideal in California and most other casual business locations.

I still follow him on Instagram and he'll post a shot every now and then ....in between a ton of cycling and coffee pics. He always looks great.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I emailed them for an appointment

After heading up Saturday, I doubt I'll make it up there again for their first visit. I'll probably plan on being there when they come back in 6-8 weeks.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I emailed them for an appointment

You won't be disappointed. Everything I have is from them and really I can't imagine anything, bespoke or whatever, possibly fitting me better.

They work with you in terms of your lifestyle and make suggestions which, at least for me, I would never have dreamed of, but which have turned out brilliantly.

They also provide a little caution here and there so you don't run off the rails, falling for something which takes your eye but will be totally impractical.

There is also a variety of details available such as different lapel widths and shoulder treatments.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@spectre thanks for the info on them. You are confirming what I have heard from others. I'm impressed by them fitting a persons lifestyle and their overall stylish fit yet comfortable look. (I'm so tired of seeing guys in too-tight suits - yeah, I'm talking about you Suit Supply, Indochino, D&G :) )

I've already had a chance to review their website and have selected fabric for a jacket and trousers.

After having tailors commissions that have taken 1-2+ years, I appreciate their return visit in just six weeks.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thought they were bespoke shop. Guess not.

:(

P Johnson is a highly experienced MTM operation. Everything I've seen (all online) has been excellent. My personal experience with Ring Jacket MTM and having an expert like Mr Sasamoto measure and fit me resulted in a suit that was on par with any full bespoke that I own, in a fraction of the time and with no hassle. I can see myself only using high quality MTM in the future over bespoke. But, I'll let you know after this upcoming experience.

Brendon

Reaction score
Hi all
I had the rare chance of having a look at a P Johnson suit the other day. Nicely finished as you would expect from a good Italian factory.
6 week delivery excellent instead of up to many months from a busy tailor. having a bespoke suit from a tailor can be a lottery if the tailor does not know what he/she is doing.
Takes many years to get good at bespoke and the only way to even have a chance of being good is to have been trained for a considerable period of time, it's the old don't know what you do don't know thing.

So I had a guy call, he needed a "tailored suit" fixed. I let him know over the phone that I do not do alterations but in the spirit of solidarity of bespoke tailors would have a look at it and alter it, if it was hand made. He said it was as it had come from tailors in Australia and that it was.
It turned out not to be handmade but as I say a nice factory job, tidy. It was not worth ripping apart to fix for many reasons. I convinced him it was good enough and that he should just take it to an alteration shop to get the waist let out. A simple and inexpensive fix. There is no point in making someone unhappy about what they have just bought as I don't think that is kind and ultimately it is just opinion. Very trained and skilled, expert opinion, but still opinion.
He was surprised it was not hand made but there you go, that Tailors in the name can get a little misleading! as one of the posters on SF noted in the thread.
The fact that P Johnson call themselves tailors is disingenuous, sell it for what it is, a made to measure suit.

I respect the opinion that some hold, that a bespoke suit fits as well as a made to measure. This can only be that your tailor, has not explained the process very well and has not satisfied your requirements obviously and perhaps not skilled enough to do so. The ability of a Bespoke suit to fit is a possibility, the chance of a MTM suit to fit is an improbability. This applies even the most experienced MTM operator. You are dealing with a limited hand. The process of having a suit already made up ,then fitted is extremely limiting when it comes to getting something to fit.
P Johnson are not alone in this or calling themselves tailors. We have one or two MTM shops here in New Zealand and one who also call themselves "contemporary tailors", whatever that means... 3 legs in a trouser who knows?

The world needs MTM and I am greatly for it, but the price for MTM should be closer to off the peg prices than tailored suits as there is no difference in the construction and the remedies to fit and fix are limited. You should be paying for the surcharge of 1 suit going through the line. That is one suit on the automated cutting table and the operator keying in about 15 minutes of data. The make, construction is the same as the production line suits. The rest is hype and expectation.
A Made to measure suit from a large factory in Italy will be available under about 100 different labels in about 20 different countries.MTM is a growing business throughout the world and has been for some time.
Good Bespoke is generally shrinking, hence all the good tailors are flat out with long lead times for suits. Companies that call themselves tailors just muddy the waters, tailors work bloody hard for bugger all and the ones who care about their trade work even harder. It is a great commitment of time and learning.
You don't get to become one by putting a tape measure round your neck, holding on to a pin cushion and occasionally picking up a pair of blunt old shears to look the part. However It does seem you can become one by writing it on your electronic sandwich board
I hope the P Johnson trip goes well and they get plenty of US orders, but I think lose the tailor bit on the logo.
regards
Brendon

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Predictable response.

So Brendon, P Johnson is MTM yes, but their suits do not cost $8000 for a fit quality which cannot be universally guaranteed to be better. You should know this or do you regard all bespoke tailors as magicians who can justify their prices by unseen and unnecessary handwork, resulting in something which will always fit better than the highest MTM. Have a look at some of the bespoke crap on this forum and have another think about it.

And P Johnson's prices ARE on a par with off the peg rubbish, at least here in Australia. Their starting point will get you an average Chinese made suit in a department store.

If you choose their Neapolitan high end line, made by La Vera Sartoria, you will find it is half the price of an off the peg suit from an "exclusive" store like Harrolds.

At P Johnson you get to choose fabrics such as Loro Piana, Ariston etc and every detail and preference so it fits you perfectly.

Do you get that at a department store? No, I didn't think so.

You may be a tailor, I don't know, but from what you have written you certainly do not respond to logic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads