• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford Tux? Calling Manton and Company

pfr0g

Reaction score
So I just got invited to my Universities Foundation dinner. This is usually reserved for people that have been at the University for some time and I am fairly new, under 4 years. I consider it an honor that they have included me so early and want to do my best to look good. I will be sitting with a few VP's, some Board of Trusties and major donatoring members so I need to look sharp. Rental, imho, is not an option.

I was planning on getting a Tux for new years next year but this is forcing my hand as the dinner is March 26th. I wanted a Nitro special but it looks like he is all out, does anyone have his seller name I assume it is Nitro but was not sure if he had special charectures.

Anyway I need help fromn you fine folks to choose a Tux. My tailor has 2 Tuxuedo's that I am considering. I think he is giving me a very good price, let me know your thoughts.

Borrelli: 2300
Peak Lapel (wide)- Satin
2 Button
It has a vintage look to it that I am on the fence about.
Flat Front pant
closed vents

Oxxford- 2100
Peak Lapel- not as wide as the Borrelli
One Button- Very cool horn buttons
Double Reverse Pleats (not thrilled about this)
Hollywood Pant (Very Cool)
double vented- I think I want to seal them.
Grosgrain

img006uh2.jpg

I will get some pictures of the Borrelli when I go back. What do you guys think about the Oxxford and the price? I relize that 2100 is a ton of money but this is a very special event and I want to make a good impression. I am not rich by any means and this will hurt the wallet a bit but not kill me. This is why I am thinking craefully about this purchase and seeking help on this board. Should I just get a rental and hold out for a tux or just take the plunge and get the Oxxford now at 2100?

Thanks in advance for any help in my decision making process.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That Oxxford has flap pockets when it should have besom pockets; but those can be tucked in.

What does the Borrelli have?

While grosgain is more traditional, the wider lapels are more ideal, in my opinion, for a peak lapel, whether single or double-breasted. Also closed vents are strictly traditional. However, the two button is less elegant than a one-button.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What size are you?

Here's a Nitro 42R Isaia Tux for $450:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-348O-ISAIA-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Perhaps not perfect, but a great Tux at an even better price!

Many SF members have bought Tuxedos from Nitro and are very happy.

You might want to contact him and see if he can get something close to what you want in your time frame.

BTW: Nitro has posted on SF. Definitely read this thread about Nitro:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=nitro

The general consensus which I concur with, is that Nitro provides especially good values on Isaia.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If you are on the fence about a $2,300 DJ, I'd disqualify it from consideration immediately. If it weren't a Borrelli, would you even be considering it?

I am on the fence about the wide lapel and 2 button. I think I have already removed it from consideration. I really like the one button look. I like Borrelli suits so that was a factor in my decision making. The cut of the Borrelli tux is very nice.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
What size are you?

Here's a Nitro 42R Isaia Tux for $450:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-348O-ISAIA-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Perhaps not perfect, but a great Tux at an even better price!

Many SF members have bought Tuxedos from Nitro and are very happy.

You might want to contact him and see if he can get something close to what you want in your time frame.

BTW: Nitro has posted on SF. Definitely read this thread about Nitro:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=nitro

The general consensus which I concur with, is that Nitro provides especially good values on Isaia.

I am a 44
musicboohoo[1].gif

3 button is not my style anyway. He did have some one buttons that I would kill for, maybe he still has some.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about the flap pockets on the Oxxford - that's not ideal. The two button on the Borrelli is also less than ideal. I'd keep looking.

pfr0g

Reaction score
That Oxxford has flap pockets when it should have besom pockets; but those can be tucked in.

What does the Borrelli have? Flap I think

While grosgain is more traditional, the wider lapels are more ideal, in my opinion, for a peak lapel, whether single or double-breasted.

I have never been a fan of peak lapels on anything but I think on a Tux they are necessary.

Also closed vents are strictly traditional.

Yeah I would have the Oxxford Vents sealed I think. I really dont like double vents on Tux.

However, the two button is less elegant than a one-button.

I agree. Thats what turned me off about the Borrelli.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Anyone have an unaltered 44r One Button tux from nito? I would pay well above the 449 he asks.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
there's always this if you wanted to go funky: http://cgi.ebay.com/STEFANO-RICCI-IT...QQcmdZViewItem

I want to stay as classic as possible and at that price I would get the Oxxford I think. Thanks for the link though
smile.gif

I am serious about the one button Isaia from Nitro I dont care if it is peak or notch either. If you have a 44r I would pay well above his asking on ebay.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Humm why cant this be a one button arrrr....

I wonder what the lapel roll is like. For the price of this nitro it may be better than a rental.

11734mainqr2.jpg

Belvest I tried on. Not sure of the price, I assume around 2400.

img007xq2.jpg

thoughts on this vest from Brioni? Good price but not sure if it is too bright/shiny.

id41001yw2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads