1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Oxxford suit on Ebay...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by witwar, Aug 9, 2006.

1. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

I just looked at the listing closer. The pants are flat front and they don't have cuffs. In my experience, the Oxxfords on Ebay with flat front pants are generally very old. Usually 20 to 30 years old! As Chuck F. has pointed out, Oxxford is a timeless garment, and if you like the classic style, then the age should not matter. But this suit is probably an oldie but goodie! And I would certainly inquire if there were some fabric to add cuffs. Unless, you are OK with that too.

I'm OK with uncuffed flat fronts. In fact, I think with flat fronts I'd prefer it. My greater concern is whether I could let out enough of the hem to avoid looking like Thom Brown. 29" is pretty short.

2. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

There are no red flags about Neiman Marcus Oxxford's in general. However, that particular suit is way vintage. Also, I don't like the seller cause they stole their copy from my auctions, but I guess that is more of a personal issue [​IMG]

3. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Why on earth would you want cuffs on flat front pants?

4. grimslade

Oops. Forgot to buy that vintage oxxford suit on ebay today. @#$@#% work, getting in the way of my shopping... [​IMG]

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Note that the suit that is the subject of this thread is single-vented. Not that that's the end of the world - I have some single-vented suits I'm quite fond of. But it's neither au courant nor, I gather, the preference of most posters here.
    Just FWIW.

6. grimslade

Note that the suit that is the subject of this thread is single-vented. Not that that's the end of the world - I have some single-vented suits I'm quite fond of. But it's neither au courant nor, I gather, the preference of most posters here.
    Just FWIW.

Do you mean the original $600 suit, or my thread-jacking suit?

Have side-vented suits really become the style? Maybe then it is time to start a center-vent rebellion...

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Do you mean the original $600 suit, or my thread-jacking suit?

Have side-vented suits really become the style? Maybe then it is time to start a center-vent rebellion...

The $600 one - didn't notice one way or the other on the one you let get away. [​IMG]