• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

overrated foods/dishes

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
eh.gif
I've had some damn good lobster, and not all of it was from super expensive places. I will say that the price to substance ratio seems a little off, but the same can be said about many things, such as wines, caviar, etc. As far as sushi goes, it's flavorful, requires minimal prep (rice + fish + veggies if interested), and fairly cheap if prepared at home. If you're looking at ordering, there are plenty of low-mid range places ($10-17 per roll) that have a lot of flavor and substance for what you're paying. This thread should probably be titled "foods that I don't particularly enjoy" at which point I would like to add egg plant. I've had it prepared well, but the texture tends to mess with me.

I have tasted what I consider good sushi by my standards(admittedly lower than most). But I can't get as excited as most people get by it. Plus I'm never full no matter how much of it I eat. CT has pretty good no frills lobster places. One of the best is in Noank, you can just sit on a park bench near the sea and eat lobster.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I have tasted what I consider good sushi by my standards(admittedly lower than most). But I can't get as excited as most people get by it. Plus I'm never full no matter how much of it I eat.
CT has pretty good no frills lobster places. One of the best is in Noank, you can just sit on a park bench near the sea and eat lobster.

It doesn't take a lot to fill me up, so I guess that I lack a bit of perspective there. I'll also agree that it's not one of those things that gets me pumped. There are days that sushi sounds incredible, but otherwise I find it to be satisfactory given other options in a similar price range.

Living in Texas means a pretty brutal premium on good lobster for the most part, and generally all of the frills that comes with said premium. I'd love a chance to get good lobster up north though.

I don't understand buying crab at restaurants. It's so easy to do at home, involves minimal mess (you can even get it pre split), and runs you 1/3 of what you would otherwise be paying. I know that the price argument could be made for many things, but the ease of prep is one thing that always gets me. I've never looked in to making lobster at home, so it may be similar, and I'd understand the issue with lobster at restaurants then.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
+1 on lobster

I think crab tastes so much better than lobster, though it is more annoying to eat. Koreans love the female crab because of the roe, so I'm pretty sure Maryland people hate us. :\\

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General Tso's chicken

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
General Tso's chicken
People rate this dish highly to begin with?
confused.gif
Oh, filet mignon is my go-to non-order.

Oldboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
People rate this dish highly to begin with?
confused.gif

Oh, filet mignon is my go-to non-order.

+1

I would take rib-eye steak over filet mignon any day of the week

Milpool

Reaction score
Steaks in general are overrated in my opinion. I rarely go to steakhouses. I think there are much more flavorful cuts of beef, and that tends to be what I prefer.

I also agree on the lobster thing. I like lobster, but for the money, I'll take crab.

Tomatoes are also pretty overrated. They are good, I like them, but I just don't understand the obsessive passion so many people have about them.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sushi --- I love it, but it's so trendy that it's hardly worth the price.

Steak --- I try not to order this at restaurants since I can make much better ones at home

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
General Tso's chicken

Are you in New York? There are very few places that can do this properly. Takeout joints aren't one of them.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
really high priced mushrooms. shark fin, birds nest. various reproductive organs of sea creatures.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
various reproductive organs of sea creatures.
Even uni? I've got to go with the whole lobster thing as well.

Valor

Reaction score
Shrimp/Crab > Lobster all day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads