• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm. Well, I like the Plaza last. Shoes made on it fit me better than any other RTW shoe I've tried, particularly in blucher form. I think color #8 happens to match well with pretty much anything I'd wear (grey, charcoal, navy, brown, etc.). I love wingtips and I think the longwing-blucher combination is the most harmonious configuration for one.

But most importantly, other shoes are either less interesting to me or too weird to be the One.

Well everyone is entitled to like what they like, but 5 pairs of the exact same shoe sounds like sheer madness to me. I honestly have no idea what shoe you are referring to other than that it is from that store near BB as I never understood the whole Alden thing (but I have blue corthay shoes so who am I to judge). However, I certainly can relate to slight variations of the same thing (e.g. most of my dress shirts are some form of light blue).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a very Thom Browne thing to do.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
I think you are just f'in with him to see if he does it.

Without an offsetting shoe force in NYC to counteract aportnoy, Manhattan risks sliding off the edge of the Earth to the applause of Pacific hippies like iammatt and Manton.

Portnoy is like a pre Cambrian shoe explosion, while Foof's concept gives him the chance to be the hardy, surviving shoe cockroach while all the other shoes have destroyed each other in an Armageddon of every-cheapening construction techniques.

I would give an Alden longwing among the best chances of surviving nuclear blast.

Corthay? Sayonara. EG? Incinerated at the first wave.

Lobb? Don't make me laugh.

- B

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get in touch with Alden of Carmel, they can't always meet your needs, but they are willing to get you on a list and usually can get it done, though whiskey could be a long wait.

Originally Posted by zjpj83
The more important question is: how does one make a custom Alden order? There's a bunch of whiskey shoes I want to buy.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
This sounds like a very Thom Browne thing to do.

It is, I guess. I like the idea of having a uniform, so long as it's of my own creation.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Do it. It will look fantastic at the beach or poolside.

Well, I'll take them off before I jump in the water or walk in the sand.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Without an offsetting shoe force in NYC to counteract aportnoy, Manhattan risks sliding off the edge of the Earth to the applause of Pacific hippies like iammatt and Manton.

Portnoy is like a pre Cambrian shoe explosion, while Foof's concept gives him the chance to be the hardy, surviving shoe cockroach while all the other shoes have destroyed each other in an Armageddon of every-cheapening construction techniques.

I would give an Alden longwing among the best chances of surviving nuclear blast.

Corthay? Sayonara. EG? Incinerated at the first wave.

Lobb? Don't make me laugh.

Yes, I hear the oils in the cordovan will gradually rise to the surface and heal the abrasions caused by the initial blast. A good brushing will do encourage the process.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
First comes the clothing simplication. Then comes the religion...

AmishScooterLarge.jpg

- B

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Is there a reason why I shouldn't just order four or five more of exactly the same shoe?

There's something slightly arrogant about this idea. I think everyone here, even the best-dressed, admit that their tastes and styles change and evolve and improve. They come to realize that what they thought they knew a few years ago is far from what they want now. It's almost as if you have already determined that you have achieved your own personal style zenith. Perhaps you have, but it seems unlikely.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think this sounds like a 3-season shoe. I can see wearing this shoe now and then in the summer, but not every day. If it was whiskey shell, I could wear it a few times a week but not every day because it's a heavy brogue.

It's too much pleasure, dressing for the season, to have only one thing for all the year long. Blue shirts can come in different weights and textures and materials. Just one make of shoe is overdoing it. The simplicity idea is much better than the all-weather, all-season idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads