• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK, Need Some Help in a Debate with the Wife

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
The wife and I were in Charleston over the weekend and happened to see some of the felt flower lapel pins in a local boutique. I don't own one, but I have always like them and just never got around to getting/making any for myself. At this point, I will likely never sport one.

BUT!

She made a comment about how they were very girly and it surprised me. She is usually rather progressive when it comes to clothing, and I took offense to her judgment. We asked my sister and she agreed with my wife.

Since I have been at the office this morning, I have been trying to find some pictures of men wearing these lapel pins (and pulling them off), but don't really know where to look.

Can someone either post a good picture or two (or let me know where to look)?

I just want to show them a picture or two of someone pulling off the look. I guess in their minds the things would look ridiculous (which isn't true). At this point I just want to win the argument.

Y'all are so good with pictures, I thought you might post a few good ones.

Thanks guys.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
They are right that it is kinda girly, but they're wrong if they think that's necessarily a bad thing.

They might be right in saying that you can't pull it off, but that's a judgment call. I don't think I could pull one off either, but some can and do.

Edit: Just buy one. If it works, good for you. If it doesn't, give it to the wife and maybe she'll wear it.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a pink one with a light blue center on right now with a navy linen/wool patch pocket sportcoat. A lot of people tell me it looks girly...but i rarely give a **** what my collegues say about my dress.

im a ****** photographer so i dont wanna put up a pic to help you LOSE this battle.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you want to wear a flower, get a real flower. $1 in most florists.

Flartchy

Reaction score
Something like this?
diana+w+lapel+pin.jpg
I'd go with the wife.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I have a pink one with a light blue center on right now with a navy linen/wool patch pocket sportcoat. A lot of people tell me it looks girly...but i rarely give a **** what my collegues say about my dress.

I wouldn't even wear a real flower to work.

Originally Posted by Manton
If you want to wear a flower, get a real flower. $1 in most florists.

Agreed. I hate this felt flower trend.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Darn it. Okay, I guess I lost.

I wasn't going to get one. Honestly, even if I were going to get one I would only wear it if I were doing something celebratory like a wedding, etc. I just thought they were fun.

I know I have seen some pictures on Non-Sart and other threads that made them look good/manly.

I just figured some of you photo guys might have a few on hand to share.

I guess I will just lose the argument. I was only trying to defend men who care about their dress and dare to take some risks...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flartchy
Something like this?

diana+w+lapel+pin.jpg

I'd go with the wife.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
I know I have seen some pictures on Non-Sart and other threads that made them look good/manly.

I'd have to see it. They sound bad in theory but maybe they can look good if done right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads