• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Great thread, chaps! I think I need to up my brolly game...

Can one buy Talarico in London?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Maglia the maker of James Smith umbrellas, and if so are there differences between those and his own?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a folder and solid stick from Ince, sort of under the radar in this thread.

Michael Jondral

Reaction score
May I suggest / introduce Francesco Maglia Umbrellas ?

He represents one of the last artisanal umbrella manufacturers in the world. His umbrellas are created entirely by hand and about 70 steps are required until such a masterpiece is completed.

Mr. Maglia represents this wonderful - founded in 1854 - family business in its fifth generation and produces exclusively in the family factory in Milan. In his Milan workshop, umbrellas are created for many different world-famous brands, which are merchandised under their own names. Among these brands are: Hermès, Prada, Tom Ford or even the famous London umbrella factory J. Smith & Sons ;)

If you ask me, the umbrellas of the master unite not only quality & function. They rather exude a unique, individual charm. You will never hesitate to take an umbrella with you, as this gentleman accessory will complete your best outfit and provide an additional portion of sophistication and "Sprezzatura".

Michael_Jondral-0490_e4b4dd44-5625-496f-a57a-07e06b71ace8_2048x.jpg

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maglia is well known on this thread and in the Styleforum world.

khughes44

Reaction score
May I ask how one is supposed to "wear" one's umbrella? Does one coordinate the colour with one's coat or hat, or what? Are there any guidelines one should follow?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask how one is supposed to "wear" one's umbrella? Does one coordinate the colour with one's coat or hat, or what? Are there any guidelines one should follow?
Guessing from the fact that most umbrellas sold back in the day were black I'd say it depends on whether you want to go traditional or not. If you're trad, your black umbrella will go nicely with your black bowler and suit...

I just bought a travel and solid stick in what's called "Kingfisher", and I don't own anything in that colour. I say let your freak flag fly when it comes to the shade of your shade.

I'm sure someone with actual knowledge will chime in at some point, or maybe check out the guy at https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/umbrella-guide/ along with the comments at the end of the article.

JJ Katz

Reaction score

A black brolly officially goes with everything, though i think that if one's wearing VERY colourful / summery clothes perhaps not so great.

A coloured brolly, IMO, could be thought of in the same terms as a pocket square: it should complement rather than match the other clothes.

khughes44

Reaction score
JJ, ojaw;

Thank you. I have an umbrella with an olive canopy, and my raincoat is olive. It may be a little too much. Good excuse to buy a black one too, as if I need an excuse!

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, buy a black coat as well.
Maybe a navy umbrella and coat too.
This is the kind of hole I usually fall into if cash is available.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a fairly inexpensive umbrella for occasional use. Would you all recommend London Undercover or Carl Dagg?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a fairly inexpensive umbrella for occasional use. Would you all recommend London Undercover or Carl Dagg?
I like my Ince umbrellas a lot, the solid stick features NOS UK-made hardware! All of their umbrellas are hand made in East London.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Own a Carl dagg. Very nice and great customer support.
Yes I was really admiring the lighter wood stick on those. It's too bad they only have straight black as opposed to charcoal grey. I'd be all over that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads