• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unbreakable is my favorite M. Night film. He started going downhill after that.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Via: http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062..._studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man.

Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.

The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel's world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other Super Heroes in the MCU.

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: "Spider-Man is one of Marvel's great characters, beloved around the world. We're thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building."

"We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. "This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans."

"Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future," added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

"I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. "Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel's involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years."

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Marvel Studios Schedules New Release Dates for 4 Films

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/24065...s_new_release_dates_for_4_films#ixzz3RJe0Kx9Y

Four future installments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe have received new release dates through 2019, including Thor’s next solo adventure as well as the first films for Black Panther, Captain Marvel and the Inhumans!

Marvel’s “Thor: Ragnarok” will hit theaters November 3, 2017. The following year, Marvel’s “Black Panther” will make its way to theaters on July 6, 2018, and Marvel’s “Captain Marvel” on November 2, 2018. Finally, Marvel’s “Inhumans” will now debut in theaters July 12, 2019.

The previously announced dates for Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War Part 1” and “Avengers: Infinity War Part 2” on May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019, respectively, remain unchanged.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, North Korea. Without you, this would not have been possible.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DANGIT, was just coming to be a hero and post that about Spiderman. Should've known RFX would be on the ball

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you to the Universe and the MC Universe for this!!! I had long been hoping this would happen.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If this deal goes smoothly and highly profitable for both parties, I wonder how long it will be before Fox makes a similar agreement?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fox doesn't have a good relationship with Marvel though while Sonys has had troubles on the Spidey franchise even before the hack. I mean ASM2 made money but they expected so much more that they kind of panicked and threw away their plans for ASM3 & ASM4 with solo Venom and Sin6 films then started brainstorming on an Aunt May films and all female Spidey film. Sony didn't know what to do after it couldn't beat the first one in the box office.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And it helps that Fox is holding some properties like X-Men and F4 that have pretty rich universes of characters, settings, concepts etc. Time-travel and going across the universe. Spider-Man is very limited.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plus DoFP just made the most money out of all the X-Films to date and a Deadpool film is moving along too.

And next Wolverine film will supposedly be in this new timeline too so they are pretty much disposing all of the past films that not many liked.

Then there's also the XForce film with the fan favorite Cable that will also likely include Deadpool.

Fox will be fine by themselves for a while.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First Class and DoFP but they came after the disaster that was X-Men 3. What about the rest of Fox's properties? The Wolverine films did ok, but were not loved critically or by the fan community. Both FF films managed to be steaming turds too.

In terms of future projects from Fox, only AoA is looking hot. The FF film had already become a joke to the fan community and we have only seen a single trailer.

Deadpool? I guess that could end up being good, but it's from the same studio and actor who brought us his dismal appearance in Wolverine. X-Force? No one really knows one way or the other. These are future projects that I just don't have a ton of faith in yet.

If Sony decided to lean on Marvel for some creative input to help the franchises they own do better, I don't really see why Fox couldn't do the same down the line. It's all about money and cross promotions at the end of the day.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bu Marvel is tactically killing any books that might promote the Xmen and Fantastic Four. Again their relationship isn't in good terms. Sony and Marvel was already working together for years now. Sony exchanged their merchandising rights for more movie rights.

DoFP proved that Fox can churn out a very good film and make money along the way. DoFP got the same flack FF is getting now but that is because people want to judge before they see the film. They said awe Singer is back. Boo! They do not have yellow leotards. Boo! The Sentinel design sucks! Boo! That's Quicksilver? What a joke! Boo! And look how well received it was.

I mean this is nothing we haven't seen from the fanboy community before, anything not touched by Marvel Studios is crap.

The Wolverine may have not been well received but it was the second highest box office film of all X-Films just behind X3 so they were happy with that. I also thought many fans liked it for the most part, probably not too hard since Origns was so bad. It made $415m on a $120m budget though and that was big enough for Fox. And DoFP coming off the weakness of The Wolverine equaled to the highest grossing X-Film that was one of the best films of 2014, made about $750m iirc. Also got to keep in mind the controversy Singer faced before the movie came out and it still made loads of money.

Apocalypse will likely surpass that so that is another win in the eyes of Fox. Wolverine will come off the strength of that film and likely beat the last Wolverine film. Gambit being in Apocalypse then branching off to his own film starring Channing Tatum will likely do well. XForce is still up in the air. Deadpool really gained momentum because of the leaked footage and based on the hype on that and the fact that Fox limited their budget just means they can make money on it even if it's rated R.

FF will likely surprise people, hell many already turned after seeing the trailer. I can see it easily making $500m and that will be considered a success for Fox. Worst comes to worst, an XMen and FF crossover in a few years and that will bank money.

Also keep in mind that merchandising rights for the XFilms belong to Fox so they probably make their money back on that alone and everything else from the box office are profit. That's not the same way with Sony Spiderman franchise, Marvel banks on those.

The biggest difference to the current Fox plans in comparison to the old is that it is actually planned out. They arne't making one film, let that simmer a bit then make another. They knew Apocalypse was the next film before DoFP came out. They already have other stories outlined as well like the next Wolverine sequel in the new timeline and such. That is a big deal. They also seem to have their own Feige in a way in Kinsberg. He works with Singer and Vaughn but tries to keep everything in check and so far so good.

There is no doubt XMen can only benefit from putting Wolverine in the Avengers but they don't have to, they aren't in as big of a financial trouble as Sony and they are content in their own world. As neo said, without that hack this may have never come to fruition. It's also easier to put Spidey in Marvels Studios world because they can make a soft reboot. XMen just had a huge reboot that would be wasted. I am sure they can come up with a way to combine them and make sense but again Fox doesn't need them and the way Marvels being a *****, I wouldn't be surprised if these guys do not get together at all, ever.

It's really better this way anyway. I mean look at this new solo Spidey film, it pushed back every other Marvel films. I still wish Thor 3 and BP wasn't pushed and Spidey was just added to that year. If Marvel had right for XMen then that might happen as well. As a matter of fact, BP is now facing off against Apocalypse so that is interesting but at the end of the day, that could be shooting your own foot as BP is still unproven with a minority as a protagonist so you never know how it will be received. I just hope BPs part in Civil War wasn't cut because of Spideys acquisition because I can already imagine BP getting the short end of the stick.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fact is, Spider-Man is the face of Marvel and Disney would move heaven and earth to shoe-horn him into the current MCU. It does kind of suck though that a huge chunk of character's movies are being pushed to make way for it. Would they like to have back X-Men and F4? Definitely but Spidey is the golden goose egg.

Regarding Fox and Marvel relationship like RFX mentioned, they are ridding the comics of mutants and rebranding a bunch of them into Inhumans (which Marvel has the movie rights to). Very petty. :foo:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads