• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the reasons I like TLJ so much is because is was trying to do something new. Take the universe in a direction we haven’t seen before. But a lot of fans punished them for it.

A perfect example is the "Holdo Maneuver". A breathtaking scene. The theater I was in was in stunned awe when it played. Easily one of the best-looking scenes in all of Star Wars.

Yet bring it up on social media? You get flooded with people who complain it somehow "breaks lore" just because it hasn't been seen before. Too many fans don't really want to see anything new.

IMG_8314.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post-Mando is when they embraced the Prequel trilogy. Before that they were bending over backwards to ignore that era and stress they were moving forward with something that felt connected to the Original Trilogy.

Enough backlash made them rethink the corporate strategy and here we are.

I’ve made this point multiple times before but fans get way too worked up over lore. That’s what causes properties to feel “boxed in” because writers bend over backwards trying to make everything connect. I’d rather they just tell good stories and stop worrying if some neck beard will accuse them of plot holes based on contradictions with twenty year old stories.
images

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I like TLJ so much is because is was trying to do something new. Take the universe in a direction we haven’t seen before. But a lot of fans punished them for it.

A perfect example is the "Holdo Maneuver". A breathtaking scene. The theater I was in was in stunned awe when it played. Easily one of the best-looking scenes in all of Star Wars.

Yet bring it up on social media? You get flooded with people who complain it somehow "breaks lore" just because it hasn't been seen before. Too many fans don't really want to see anything new.

View attachment 2127577
Yeah, that scene was spectacular but, even suspending disbelief, was nonsensical. I mean it's sci fi but I was still reeling from the opening silliness of bombers going full WWII and dropping gravity bombs in space.

I mean I could forgive the original with X-Wings flying like P-51s...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I should have never even brought it up. I knew this would happen…

The ships had artificial gravity inside and the bombs contained to move once they entered space. Star Wars has always mimicked modern warfare and this was just a new example of it.

The Holdo maneuver was a suicide run involving an expensive resource. No military would exploit that except in desperation.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have never even brought it up.

The Holdo maneuver was a suicide run involving an expensive resource. No military would exploit that except in desperation.
Okay, I'm a nerd as well. Of course they would. The X-Wings and smaller ships all have hyperdrives. Super simple to create a drone and start knocking out Capital ships. That plot device was the same as Capt Kirk using the apparently omnipresent "override" button or every spaceship/evil base ever made having a self-destruct option for some reason.

Anyway, I agree that you should never have brought this up. :box:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love that people just accept laser swords and space wizards but trying to explain that bombs would continue their momentum once they enter the vacuum of space breaks their brains.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that people just accept laser swords and space wizards but trying to explain that bombs would continue their momentum once they enter the vacuum of space breaks their brains.
It is complicated. We should shift to LOTR. I wonder where the two Blue Istari ended up?

Anyway, all in good humor!

brokencycle

Reaction score

View attachment 2127577

I haven't paid attention to this thread in a long time. TLJ was my favorite of the sequels by far. Conceptually, I think it was the best because it tried moving Star Wars away from it being about Skywalkers.

The bigger Star Wars has gotten the smaller it feels. They always tie the stories back to the same heroes and villains from the original movies. Also, they don't understand that as they flesh out cool characters they make them less cool. Boba Fett was cool when we knew nothing about him - who is this random bounty hunter that talks back to Vader? Our imagine does a lot of work, but the real thing can never make him as cool as we imagine.

That's why the Thrawn and Thrawn: Ascendancy are so good. They're set in the universe and outside of a few references to Vader and Palpatine, the books are completely separate while leveraging and expanding the universe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads