• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, no, sorry - I wasn't trying to imply she knew who the guy in the suit was, just that he's Palpatine's ass kicker and, I would think, that Palpatine had long ago dropped the whole Diplomat charade and gone bad guy.
But .... I think he's got a point here. I thought Palpatine had "gone public" at the end of III but clearly in IV the threads of the remaining Republic charade are still lingering.

Unfortunately, I think we're in murky retcon territory. Actually, I'm kinda surprised it still holds up to as much scrutiny as it does. Still, it's been fun to kick around!

It is an intriguing question, though. Vader just sort of shows up as the Emperor's right-hand guy/enforcer at the end of Ep.III--doesn't anyone wonder where he came from? I wonder if there will be any nod to that question in Rogue One.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is an intriguing question, though. Vader just sort of shows up as the Emperor's right-hand guy/enforcer at the end of Ep.III--doesn't anyone wonder where he came from? I wonder if there will be any nod to that question in Rogue One.

Now that you've made me really think about it a bit, there are some interesting dangling ends...

At the end of the fight between Obi Wan and Vader in III, Obi Wan leaves Vader presumably to die and doesn't necessarily know that Palpatine rescues him and puts him in the armor. However, in IV he tells Luke the story that Vader murdered his father; so he's definitely aware of Vader as a player at the time. Granted, after Luke learns the truth in V and Obi Wan reworks the tale that Vader "kind of" murdered his father, so there's even more evidence that Obi Wan knew of the Anakin-to-Vader evolution that took place after he left him.

But, that still might not have been first hand or public knowledge though, maybe that was only know in Jedi circles. Such events might be cause enough feedback through the force for Obi Wan to have just "known" that Anakin survived and didn't perish and was made whole/stronger and still out there (maybe the way the force feels has a quality to it that one's who are sensitive enough can tell who caused the movement; much like being able to identify a musician just by listening to them play). Given some of Luke's dreamlike sequences on Dagoba that revealed things to him, maybe other Jedi's had similar events elsewhere that gave them some insights.

There's definitely a lot of fertile ground to be covered here, more so than I originally thought.... cool!

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vader isn't the first evil and mysterious right hand man to Palpatine...so I am not sure that people would be that confused about where he came from.

Also, R2-D2 never had his memory wiped and he definitely knew a bunch of **** that he wasn't letting on.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Vader isn't the first evil and mysterious right hand man to Palpatine...so I am not sure that people would be that confused about where he came from.

Also, R2-D2 never had his memory wiped and he definitely knew a bunch of **** that he wasn't letting on.

That's because R2-D2 is an asshole.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's true, and Vader was the first one to appear once Palpatine became Emperor. Maybe people just shrugged and figured he'd been around for a while. Palpatine's Sith history wasn't common knowledge so I doubt anyone considered his prior apprentices at all.

I suppose that it's entirely possible that only Obi-Wan and Yoda knew that Vader was Anakin. Other Jedi probably knew but they had all died or disappeared.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's because R2-D2 is an asshole.

The prequel trilogy certainly re-cast some of his actions in the original trilogy ("Wait--he knew this all along?"). And then his drama-queen "shutting himself down after Luke disappeared" act in TFA? Unacceptable.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rogue One tickets just went on sale about an hour ago.

Got my IMAX 3D tickets for opening weekend at the newly renovated AMC Lincoln Square theater in NYC. :slayer:

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a spoiler rule on posting about the movie in this thread? One week was the general consensus right?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is there a spoiler rule on posting about the movie in this thread? One week was the general consensus right?

I think two to three weeks minimum to post about spoilers without a spoiler tag.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think i will be watching this anti-white propaganda ;) in the cinema unless reviews here are great, i think ill go see ghost in the shell instead

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rogue One is getting crazy good buzz and reviews from the screening they did. My hype level is reaching epic heights. :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cocktail Cuff