• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Torn between selling my 1959-60 Gibson GA-18T amp (and Danelectro reissue, my last guitar) and thus stop lying to myself that I'll ever have the time and inclination to learn to actually play.

Or, get a Thin Skin '62 Telecaster or Jazzmaster (or a K-Line guitar) and continue bashing out a few chords and a lot of noise just to amuse myself.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Vox AC30. Beaten to hell, from the late 60's with the speakers having been changed in the 70's(to some type of Celestions) and with no plate in the back. Sounds ******* awesome, and was only about $600. Not a versatile amp, but the crunch this thing has with humbuckers at volume is insane, especially with a pedal, and the clean is nice too. Awesome steal, so happy.
Has anybody ever played one guitar into two amps? Is there anything I need to know other than to buy a Morley ABY?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Just bought a Vox AC30. Beaten to hell, from the late 60's with the speakers having been changed in the 70's(to some type of Celestions) and with no plate in the back. Sounds ******* awesome, and was only about $600. Not a versatile amp, but the crunch this thing has with humbuckers at volume is insane, especially with a pedal, and the clean is nice too. Awesome steal, so happy. Has anybody ever played one guitar into two amps? Is there anything I need to know other than to buy a Morley ABY?
Very nice! I have an AC30 an it's my #1. Gonna have to disagree with your assertion that this is not a versatile amp. On the contrary, I get some of the best overdriven and clean tones from the same amp. Play a Tele into the bright channel with the volume below 40% and you'll see what I mean. (Note that the volume knobs are pretty interactive, so you may want to play with both volume levels even with your guitar plugged into just one. Jump the channels for even more options.) See if you can find out exactly what Celestions you have in there. I've got blue alnicos in mine, and they're just the ****. As for playing into two amps, I do that on occasion with the AC30 and my Super Reverb. I strongly suggest an Ebtech Hum Eliminator, particularly if you're planning on going stereo into both. I find it's good to have one amp on the brighter side and the other on the warmer side as well. What's the second amp you're considering going into? - Keith

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Very nice! I have an AC30 an it's my #1. Gonna have to disagree with your assertion that this is not a versatile amp. On the contrary, I get some of the best overdriven and clean tones from the same amp. Play a Tele into the bright channel with the volume below 40% and you'll see what I mean. (Note that the volume knobs are pretty interactive, so you may want to play with both volume levels even with your guitar plugged into just one. Jump the channels for even more options.)

See if you can find out exactly what Celestions you have in there. I've got blue alnicos in mine, and they're just the ****.

As for playing into two amps, I do that on occasion with the AC30 and my Super Reverb. I strongly suggest an Ebtech Hum Eliminator, particularly if you're planning on going stereo into both. I find it's good to have one amp on the brighter side and the other on the warmer side as well. What's the second amp you're considering going into?

- Keith

The Celestions definitely aren't the blue bulldogs, they are silver and each have a small round red Celestion made in England sticker on the back, but otherwise don't have any other writing.

Planning on doing it with my Two Rock Classic Reverb, which is blackface-ish. I'm not sure exactly how I plan to do it, I mean, I figured I'd just run the guitar through the pedalboard and then into a Morley ABY which would split it into two signals, one for each amp. Am I missing something?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how I plan to do it, I mean, I figured I'd just run the guitar through the pedalboard and then into a Morley ABY which would split it into two signals, one for each amp. Am I missing something?
Yup, using the Morley ABY will work. Give it a try and see if you get any extra noise. If so, you may want to look into the Ebtech. I don't need an ABY because I can go mono-in/stereo-out with my stereo chorus. Any mono-in/stereo-out effect pedal will do that for you. Should be a nice combination doing the AC30 and Two-Rock.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, using the Morley ABY will work. Give it a try and see if you get any extra noise. If so, you may want to look into the Ebtech. I don't need an ABY because I can go mono-in/stereo-out with my stereo chorus. Any mono-in/stereo-out effect pedal will do that for you.

Should be a nice combination doing the AC30 and Two-Rock.

My Boss DD-7 may be able to do it, actually. Not sure.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
anybody in the market for a teese RMC3?

well at least someone out there knows a real wah....

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
no pics as of now but heres my list of geetars...

1964 Gretsch black falcon
gibson SG...no clue of the year..nothing super special
Epiphone Sheraton...love the little humbuckers..
ESP Eclipse custom shop...way different style for me, but its crunchy as hell and loud
takimine acoustic..nothing special'

Effects...Boss custom modded blues driver, boss tuner, vintage proco rat.

For reverb, Ive fallen in love with the Lexicon PCM 90 rack unit. top notch. Been playing with it at the house this weekend.

we need a sub-thread in here called "tone forum"... the above list being Exhibit A.... with the exception of the Gretsch, this list of gear is a tone nightmare... Derek, maybe you should hang with poly800rock's pedalboard. Come on you're from Nashville.. you should know better.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels
we need a sub-thread in here called "tone forum"... the above list being Exhibit A.... with the exception of the Gretsch, this list of gear is a tone nightmare... Derek, maybe you should hang with poly800rock's pedalboard. Come on you're from Nashville.. you should know better.

What in there is a "tone nightmare"? Aside from the ESP, obviously. SG's are standard, his Sheraton must be vintage and nice, as it has mini humbuckers, and modded Boss BD2's are great pedals.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What in there is a "tone nightmare"? Aside from the ESP, obviously. SG's are standard, his Sheraton must be vintage and nice, as it has mini humbuckers, and modded Boss BD2's are great pedals.
Agreed, and quite honestly, your tone foundation starts with a good amp. If he's got a nice amp, he's 75% of the way there.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

right SG's are standard... nothing tonal about it unless you're Angus Young..... a "vintage" plywood Epi... what about a mass-produced, assembly-line piece of plywood makes it so nice? and I noticed you didn't mention the Takamine... exactly. Let's not go there.

lastly... modded or not... Boss? That's like saying a customized Kia is a sweet ride. Please. Lexicon rack unit reverb is a contradiction in terms. The only way to get true reverb is with a spring... simple as that. We can't even have this conversation until you guys find some real gear & electronics.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, and quite honestly, your tone foundation starts with a good amp. If he's got a nice amp, he's 75% of the way there.

i didn't see the amp listed so I'm not sure. And I believe the operative word in your post is IF. The amp is extremely important... yes. But 75%... I'd have to disagree. Do you think a Jackson Dinky Reverse w/ a Tube Screamer is gonna sound good just b/c you've got it plugged into a Budda or a Dr. Z??? I don't think so............

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Vox AC30. Beaten to hell, from the late 60's with the speakers having been changed in the 70's(to some type of Celestions) and with no plate in the back. Sounds ******* awesome, and was only about $600. Not a versatile amp, but the crunch this thing has with humbuckers at volume is insane, especially with a pedal, and the clean is nice too. Awesome steal, so happy.
Has anybody ever played one guitar into two amps? Is there anything I need to know other than to buy a Morley ABY?

sounds like an amazing deal

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels
i didn't see the amp listed so I'm not sure. And I believe the operative word in your post is IF. The amp is extremely important... yes. But 75%... I'd have to disagree. Do you think a Jackson Dinky Reverse w/ a Tube Screamer is gonna sound good just b/c you've got it plugged into a Budda or a Dr. Z??? I don't think so............
Are you in this room just to pick a fight? A crappy guitar into a great amp will sound significantly better than a great guitar into a crappy amp every time. As for an SG being "nothing tonal...unless you're Angus Young," that has as much to do with the amp and pickups as it does the chunk of mahogany. You seem to have very tight borders around what makes acceptable tone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads