• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting these on Ebay tonight
Shelter cloth heavy cargo pants
size 34x34 with 8.5"x8.5" pockets

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I recently had the pleasure of trying on a cover cloth weekender. Fantastic jacket. Any thoughts on its utility as a winter coat? I'd get it with the wool liner and/or want to be able to layer a sweater or a fleece under it when the temps drop.
I'm in DC, so I don't expect to have to deal with anything in the 20sF or below.

What's the consensus? Do we prefer a jacket liner or a vest? Which weight?
The reviews of the weekender on the Filson site indicate that some people find that the liner bunches...perhaps that's a bigger problem with the heavier Mackinaw liners than with the lighter fare?

I'm on my second winter with my cover cloth weekender and it is a fantastic piece of outerwear. I also have the Mackinaw wool vest liner and rarely ever zip it in because of the annoying bunching that others have mentioned (I wish I would have looked into ordering the vest in a size smaller). But the vest works well as a piece of outerwear on its own so in the end I don't really have much to complain about there. If I lived in DC, I probably wouldn't even bother with the liner/vest at all, although I am generally a pretty warm person - I think the jacket and a sweater are perfect when the temps are about 20º to 30º.

I do have two complaints:

• I wish the hood would have been included (I have the otter green one)
  • Mine is only just over a year old and could already use a re-waxing (this is my first waxed piece of outerwear though so maybe my expectations were just too high)

Over the year I've had it, I have worn mine in snow, sleet, and rain, to work clearing brush and putting up hay and straw and splitting wood. The jacket still looks great and doesn't look out of place being worn to work at my office in the morning on days I am wearing jeans, chinos, or cords.

Filson also makes a whipcord Weekender that looks really nice. If I ever decide I need yet another piece of casual outerwear (or I somehow destroy my cover cloth Weekender), I will probably upgrade to that one.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Which would be a better choice for a winter coat, the Cover Cloth Weekender (which would require a liner) or the Shelter Cloth Foothills Parka (which would not require a liner)? I can't figure out what the relative merits of either are other than that the Foothills Parka would be cheaper and perhaps warmer, while the Cover Cloth Weekender would be more versatile (since it can be worn without a liner). Anything else I should consider?

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
And by the way, has anyone else noticed that the Mack cruisers are now all with a lighter weight wool? I presume this makes the Cruisers less warm...any idea by how much?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which would be a better choice for a winter coat, the Cover Cloth Weekender (which would require a liner) or the Shelter Cloth Foothills Parka (which would not require a liner)? I can't figure out what the relative merits of either are other than that the Foothills Parka would be cheaper and perhaps warmer, while the Cover Cloth Weekender would be more versatile (since it can be worn without a liner). Anything else I should consider?

you'd only realistically wear the foothills parka barely three months out of the year in washington dc... so in lieu of that it may actually be a more pragmatic choice to go with the more versatile weekender. I wouldn't even buy a liner for it and just layer it with a sweater.

with my Filson Rain Coat I just wear a patagonia super light down fleece vest as a layer if its really cold... but thats rare... I'm in NYC/Boston most of the time.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
I keep coming back to the mackinaw cruiser--I had the pleasure of trying one on recently. However, I balk at the fact that Filson has lowered the wool weight from 26oz to 24oz. I worry that all of the testimonies regarding how warm it is are based on the older 26oz weight; how warm can I expect the coat to be with only 24oz? What difference does 2oz make?

rpiotr01

Reaction score
I keep coming back to the mackinaw cruiser--I had the pleasure of trying one on recently. However, I balk at the fact that Filson has lowered the wool weight from 26oz to 24oz. I worry that all of the testimonies regarding how warm it is are based on the older 26oz weight; how warm can I expect the coat to be with only 24oz? What difference does 2oz make?
They cheaped out, no matter how they spin it, but the mack cruiser is still solid. If you're worried about warmth and weather resistance go for the double mack. I have one and it's the best piece of foul weather gear I own - snow, rain etc. Looks sharp too. Can't beat it!

DC Office Hack

Reaction score

They cheaped out, no matter how they spin it, but the mack cruiser is still solid. If you're worried about warmth and weather resistance go for the double mack. I have one and it's the best piece of foul weather gear I own - snow, rain etc. Looks sharp too. Can't beat it!

I suspect the double's overkill for me in Washington, DC.

Part of what bothers me about the downgrade in the Mack wool is that they're being deceptive about the product. They're marketing the cruiser as an "original" since the beginning of time...it certainly looks the part, but it turns out that it's far from being whatever it was that Filson made and sold back in the day. It's simply not the product that earned the reputation it has. It also is not the product discussed in the reviews on the Filson website.
Still, what can I say? I want one. I walked in thinking I preferred the navy, but that green is really something...

rpiotr01

Reaction score
You'd be surprised with the double. Yes, it's heavy wool with a double layer on the shoulders, arms and back. But it's still unlined, and the nature of the cut means it's drafty. With temps in the 40's and just a work shirt under it I still get a bit of a chill. Then again, when it occasionally gets down into the 20's or lower here in NJ I feel just about the same. I think that's the nature of unlined wool - it retains about as much heat as you need it to, and breathes the rest out. If it's all-around weather resistance you want - cold rain, sleet, snow, wind etc. - I think the double is where it's at. If you want something that's overall more sharp looking then get the single. The extra layer adds visual bulk to the way the double looks, doesn't have as flattering a cut as I think the singles do.

I suspect the double's overkill for me in Washington, DC.
Part of what bothers me about the downgrade in the Mack wool is that they're being deceptive about the product. They're marketing the cruiser as an "original" since the beginning of time...it certainly looks the part, but it turns out that it's far from being whatever it was that Filson made and sold back in the day. It's simply not the product that earned the reputation it has. It also is not the product discussed in the reviews on the Filson website.
Still, what can I say? I want one. I walked in thinking I preferred the navy, but that green is really something...

100 yrs

Reaction score
I'm on my second winter with my cover cloth weekender and it is a fantastic piece of outerwear. I also have the Mackinaw wool vest liner and rarely ever zip it in because of the annoying bunching that others have mentioned (I wish I would have looked into ordering the vest in a size smaller). But the vest works well as a piece of outerwear on its own so in the end I don't really have much to complain about there. If I lived in DC, I probably wouldn't even bother with the liner/vest at all, although I am generally a pretty warm person - I think the jacket and a sweater are perfect when the temps are about 20º to 30º.
I do have two complaints:
  • I wish the hood would have been included (I have the otter green one)
  • Mine is only just over a year old and could already use a re-waxing (this is my first waxed piece of outerwear though so maybe my expectations were just too high)
Over the year I've had it, I have worn mine in snow, sleet, and rain, to work clearing brush and putting up hay and straw and splitting wood. The jacket still looks great and doesn't look out of place being worn to work at my office in the morning on days I am wearing jeans, chinos, or cords.
Filson also makes a whipcord Weekender that looks really nice. If I ever decide I need yet another piece of casual outerwear (or I somehow destroy my cover cloth Weekender), I will probably upgrade to that one.

i also have a weekender cover cloth jacket, in black, and i love it. fits me much better than the barbour beauford i once had. i recently grabbed the hood too, as they just started making it in black. had to sew two buttons on to the collar myself, which i didn't mind doing. not the most integrated hood solution i've ever seen, but it gets the job done.

grabbed the liner vest too at the beginning of fall, and have yet to use it. the jacket is perfectly comfortable in the drizzle-y mid 40's aka Seattle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads