1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess that's what it is. The fact that it was centrally located on the pocket was what threw me, but I guess they just did it to have it look better than being sewn onto the tag or the bottom inside of the placket.

2. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Well-Known Member

Nothing but an extra button to sew in place of any you might lose on front. Including spare buttons like this on the inside of a garment used to be a fairly common practice with men's jackets & trousers.

3. balto

balto Member

Bag looks fantastic, unique patina. Have you re-waxed it? If so, curious about the process.

4. trvlr472

trvlr472 Well-Known Member

Yes, I re-waxed it a few years ago. I just brushed it off, took it and washed it/scrubbed it in the bathtub inside and out. Let it dry out and then spent quite a while rubbing Filson wax back into it.

Since then I looked up online how to make my own parrafin/beeswax mix online and keep it stored in a slow cooker.

I've used that since to re-wax my Filson raincoat and me extra large Filson roll around duffle.

It's touchy using home made and brush but at $50.00 for probably a life's supply instead of $10.00 for a small tin of Filson's it's worth it.

It's much easier on the fingers as well.

When you start re-waxing jackets and large pieces of luggage you need a brush. Fingers just don't cut it.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Is $180 for the Filson navy briefcase bag pretty reasonable?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

Very reasonable ... who's offering it for that price?

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

8. chrisstylez

chrisstylez New Member

So I just got off the phone with a Filson rep to order the 256 tan.
    But when I told them that I'd like to add the handgrip for $20, they said that this feature is only for the green and brown version.
    Huh?
    Is that right?
    That doesn't seem to make sense to me at all...that the color would matter as to whether I could add the handgrip or not...
    Is she misinformed?

Thanks for the help/info in advance

9. converge

converge Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. The color shouldn't matter.

I wonder why Filson is getting so weird regarding the handgrip?

Having used a non-handgrip 256, 257, and now a factory-installed handgrip 256, I can say it's essential!

10. trvlr472

That does sound pretty stupid. I might also add that if you add the hand grip at I did on my Otter Green briefcase 10+ years ago it would be nice if they sewed it on. I can see why they don't in case you only want it on there sometimes but those hand grips can get lost. I haven't lost mine but it gets to be a pain to constantly snap that thing closed so you don't lose it.

11. trvlr472

Quote: Whoever made that decision just might have had one too many energy drinks that day.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  12. venyv

venyv New Member

After doing my research and reading almost every page on of this thread I ended up going with the Tan 258. It does get a little heavy but I usually do not have to do much more walking then from the parking lot to the office. If I did alot more walking I think I would have ended up going with the 257. Her are some pics of mine loaded out. I usually have a 15" macbook pro.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Youngj

Youngj Well-Known Member

When purchasing a zip-in liner
    Would you match it to the colour of the collar or the jacket?
    I've got a green cover clothe mile marker, which has a brown mole skin collar

14. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

I had mine added two years ago when I bought my 256 and , luckily, they did sew it on for me.

15. dreamsburndown

dreamsburndown Active Member

Just got a Sportsman's bag as I'm going on vacation soon. It's my first good piece of luggage. It looks pretty immaculate right now so I hope to break it in with time.
    [​IMG]

16. trvlr472

I've owned one of those Sportsmans bags for over 10 years. It still looks pretty much like new with the exception of the patina it has picked up.

1 person likes this.
  17. PootyTang

PootyTang Active Member

Im between the small and medium duffle for my travel needs. I need a bag I can use as a weekend bag for 2-3 nights on my frequent weekend jaunts but I can also use to travel lightly between the NY and LA. I have clothes in both places to so I need a bag I can throw a few t shirts in along with a few books and tablet and a few odds and ends I always end up bringing. So something i can use for a light carryon and also something that I can use to fill up for a weekend trip. Will the small duffle limit me? Will the medium duffle be too big for my needs?

I've checked them out both in person, but I was hoping to get advice from people who might know first hand how it ends up working out.

Thanks folks!

18. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Mine is only half that, but gets dragged through the rain, snow and mud at sporting clay courses and camps during hunting season so likely looks like it is 10. My favorite bag by far. I used it in a photo contest a few weeks ago, or at least part of it
    [​IMG]

As far as the photography think I'll keep my day job LOL.

19. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

No pic posts for me

20. Trcik

Trcik Member

Anyone looking to trade their 256 for a 257 (Tan)?

Do pm me.