• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Nice boots. I was one click away from ordering these in cafe burnished but then remembered the advice my wife gave to me a week or so before.
So you were threatened and duressed a week in advance :laugh:. I can feel you brother :nodding:

A comment i got yesterday was: "who on earth and what kind of people spend £400 on a pair of shoes?" (while in the background was a cupboard with handbags stashed in it that are four times more expensive).
:tinfoil:

Last edited:

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you were threatened and duressed a week in advance :laugh:. I can feel you brother :nodding:
speaking of cafe burnished…

IMG_4009.jpeg

MarkinLondon

Reaction score
Newbie question: I’m new to Stow boots, but not to shoes generally, so when I received my Marron/Dainite boots, I gave them Renovator, Creme Universelle and a light (at least I hope it was light) wax and then managed to wrangle them onto my feet. These are my first pair of high, laced, thick-leather boots, and quite frankly it was enough of a struggle to make me question my decision to own such boots. My sense is that the break-in and softening time is in tension with my patience. Which of course leads me to some questions.

Should I have conditioned them more deeply to soften them somewhat and reduce the break-in time? And if so, how would I go about removing the Saphir wax? I certainly have saddle soap, and a bottle of Medaille D'Or Leather Cleaner will be delivered soon. Though I also have some isopropyl alcohol and acetone lying around the shed, my sense is that this really isn’t the time to experiment.

Thanks in advance,
M

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newbie question: I’m new to Stow boots, but not to shoes generally, so when I received my Marron/Dainite boots, I gave them Renovator, Creme Universelle and a light (at least I hope it was light) wax and then managed to wrangle them onto my feet. These are my first pair of high, laced, thick-leather boots, and quite frankly it was enough of a struggle to make me question my decision to own such boots. My sense is that the break-in and softening time is in tension with my patience. Which of course leads me to some questions.

Should I have conditioned them more deeply to soften them somewhat and reduce the break-in time? And if so, how would I go about removing the Saphir wax? I certainly have saddle soap, and a bottle of Medaille D'Or Leather Cleaner will be delivered soon. Though I also have some isopropyl alcohol and acetone lying around the shed, my sense is that this really isn’t the time to experiment.

Thanks in advance,
M
My friend. With all the love in the world I say that it sounds to me that you might be over thinking this. New boots are going to be a nuisance for the first 30 - 40 wears I should think. If longer use is annoying you it might be worth considering wearing them for around 15 - 30 minutes a day for a while before extending usage times. Tricker's especially are built like tanks. My own Stows have been used for months and maybe had one conditioning and they look and feel fantastic now. There were days however when I fought foot fatigue etc etc but long gone now. Good luck with your new pair.

* : I will also add that the above only holds if you are sized correctly.

vubui

Reaction score

Thanks in advance,
M

My friend. With all the love in the world I say that it sounds to me that you might be over thinking this. New boots are going to be a nuisance for the first 30 - 40 wears I should think. If longer use is annoying you it might be worth considering wearing them for around 15 - 30 minutes a day for a while before extending usage times. Tricker's especially are built like tanks. My own Stows have been used for months and maybe had one conditioning and they look and feel fantastic now. There were days however when I fought foot fatigue etc etc but long gone now. Good luck with your new pair.

* : I will also add that the above only holds if you are sized correctly.

I completely agree with Mr Spud. I recently went through this with my partner. She has owned GYW boots before, but it’s been many years since she broke in a tough pair, and after two wears she was convinced she was doing something wrong, and was discouraged that she’d made a mistake purchasing them. I told her that wearing them for a full day right off the bat was probably not the best move, and she started wearing them for shorter sessions as advised above.

Yesterday, on her 10th wear or so, she finally got through to that first time when they start to feel right for her, and she was quite relieved.

Although she is still set on only buying Tricker’s deer skin boots from now on because they are amazingly soft right from the start and her two pairs were a joy to wear almost immediately, even with the quite heavy and tough full commando soles. 😂

Stay the course, and give them time to adapt to your feet. And don’t worry about adding products, they don’t make a big difference to the break-in but they can make a big difference to the look so you want to be sure of what you want them to look like before you add too much product, and you don’t want to over condition them.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Mr Spud. I recently went through this with my partner. She has owned GYW boots before, but it’s been many years since she broke in a tough pair, and after two wears she was convinced she was doing something wrong, and was discouraged that she’d made a mistake purchasing them. I told her that wearing them for a full day right off the bat was probably not the best move, and she started wearing them for shorter sessions as advised above.

Yesterday, on her 10th wear or so, she finally got through to that first time when they start to feel right for her, and she was quite relieved.

Although she is still set on only buying Tricker’s deer skin boots from now on because they are amazingly soft right from the start and her two pairs were a joy to wear almost immediately, even with the quite heavy and tough full commando soles. 😂

Stay the course, and give them time to adapt to your feet. And don’t worry about adding products, they don’t make a big difference to the break-in but they can make a big difference to the look so you want to be sure of what you want them to look like before you add too much product, and you don’t want to over condition them.
He he even that deer skin is tough ****. I have a pair on a Vibram soft sole and there too the first few wears were tiring after a long day on the feet.

Funnily enough, the first pair of Stows I bought I ended up wearing for around 20k steps on day one and nearly collapsed at the end of the day. No blisters or what not but severe fatigue. Must be like being in the army, I guess.🤣

Fenners81

Reaction score

Thanks in advance,
M
As previously said, patience is the key. Over-conditioning will not help them break in but may well damage the leather or remove the colour depending on what you use. Go easy on the products as less is generally more, and for God's sake leave the isopropyl in the drawer.

Last edited:

vubui

Reaction score
He he even that deer skin is tough ****. I have a pair on a Vibram soft sole and there too the first few wears were tiring after a long day on the feet.

Funnily enough, the first pair of Stows I bought I ended up wearing for around 20k steps on day one and nearly collapsed at the end of the day. No blisters or what not but severe fatigue. Must be like being in the army, I guess.🤣

I haven’t tried any deer skin boots yet but she got a pair of chelseas and a pair of motorcycle style boots from Trickers a couple years ago and they are so soft that the mc boots don’t even hold their shape when they are off the feet, they just flop over!

She keeps trying to convince me to try a pair but in men’s there aren’t many in deer.

20k steps in a day with NEW boots?!? You, my friend, are either very brave or very… tough. 😂

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t tried any deer skin boots yet but she got a pair of chelseas and a pair of motorcycle style boots from Trickers a couple years ago and they are so soft that the mc boots don’t even hold their shape when they are off the feet, they just flop over!

She keeps trying to convince me to try a pair but in men’s there aren’t many in deer.

20k steps in a day with NEW boots?!? You, my friend, are either very brave or very… tough. 😂
I’ll go with very….tough. 🤣🤦🏽‍♂️

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads