• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

brew

Reaction score
I'm having some sizing issues here. I'd really appreciate help.

I've been wearing the Stows in UK 10 with thick boot socks for a while now, and they've been comfortable until recently. I think I should have gone for the wider 10.5, because I'm getting some pain at the outer edges of my foot after several hours of wear; they seem narrow to me now.

I'm also having trouble with the Chepstow (their jodhpur) model. I was advised to stay size UK 10 because I'll be wearing thinner socks with the Chepstow and the Stow is intentionally made larger to accommodate thick socks, so I went with a 10 for Chepstow. After some wear, I saw 'UK 10.5' written on the inside; Pediwear had mistakenly sent me the wrong size. They were comfortable at first, but now I have heel slippage. Although, the width is comfortable, reinforcing my reasoning for believing I should wear a 10.5 Stow. However, given the slight heel slippage, I think a 9.5 Chepstow would better suit me. I wore the Stows with thin dress socks for a day, to see maybe if the pain was a result of too-thick socks. But, I still got some pain, along the outer edges of my foot, again, likely due to narrowness.

I'd like to return the Chepstows to try a size 10 or 9.5, but I doubt Pediwear will accept the return. There is a minor defect in the left shoe; it seems to actually fit better than the right. There's less slippage in the left. The shoe tree is obviously more difficult to insert and remove in the left as well, also indicating a sizing discrepancy, despite both shoes being marked as 10.5. The inner heel padding on the insole is peeling as well - but I still doubt they'd refund me at this point, despite them sending the wrong size, because the soles are a little scuffed up from outside wear.

I appreciate any feedback. Whether you've noticed sizing discrepancies in the same pair of shoes, had similar experience where Pediwear accepted worn but slightly faulty returns, your Trickers sizing dilemmas, etc.
I'm unsure of what to do now.

Last edited:

Mighty Morris

Reaction score
10.5 is not 10 1/2 ... it is size 10, width fitting 5 (average). 4 is slim (women's shoes and boots), 6 is wide.

If your Stows were size 10 1/2 they would say 10 1/2.5

When you say that you have been wearing them for a while, how long do you mean? I used to wear a 10, I now wear an 11. Many people's feet spread a bit with age. But maybe you mean a shorter period than several years.

However, if you can show that your Chepstows are differently sized to one another then I believe that you have grounds for returning them ... providing the wear is minimal (ie .. you could never have known they were faulty before wearing them, but you haven't gone on to trash them). Of course having one tighter tree could also mean that the trees are different to one another, so you will have to find another way of taking the measurement.

Good luck,
MM

Last edited:

brew

Reaction score
10.5 is not 10 1/2 ... it is size 10, width fitting 5 (average). 4 is slim (women's shoes and boots), 6 is wide.

If your Stows were size 10 1/2 they would say 10 1/2.5

When you say that you have been wearing them for a while, how long do you mean? I used to wear a 10, I now wear an 11. Many people's feet spread a bit with age. But maybe you mean a shorter period than several years.

However, if you can show that your Chepstows are differently sized to one another then I believe that you have grounds for returning them ... providing the wear is minimal (ie .. you could never have known they were faulty before wearing them, but you haven't gone on to trash them). Of course having one tighter tree could also mean that the trees are different to one another, so you will have to find another way of taking the measurement.

Good luck,
MM

As I understand it, taking for example a UK 10 and a UK 10.5, they are both the same length, however the 10.5 is a little wider, correct me if I'm wrong. Then, there's the 'fitting' value, which is also an indicator of width, the Chepstow and Stow being available only in fitting 5, unless you special order.

I've worn the Chepstows for about four days and the Stows for almost a month.

EDIT: I now understand what you've said, and realize I have mistakenly thought the '10.5' written on the inside to actually mean '10.5.5' LOL, whoops. Thank you for clarifying that. Pediwear did send me the proper size in that case.

Well, it's strange that the larger-last UK 10 Stow now causes pain and the more TTS UK 10 Chepstow is too large. This is maddening.

I just tried out my Viccel heavy merino socks that I recently received and they seem to work a little nicer with the 10 Stow - still thick, but thinner than the other boot socks I was using before.

Last edited:

Tricker's Expert!!

Reaction score

As I understand it, taking for example a UK 10 and a UK 10.5, they are both the same length, however the 10.5 is a little wider, correct me if I'm wrong. Then, there's the 'fitting' value, which is also an indicator of width, the Chepstow and Stow being available only in fitting 5, unless you special order.

EDIT: I now understand what you've said, and realize I have mistakenly thought the '10.5' written on the inside to actually mean '10.5.5' LOL, whoops. Thank you for clarifying that. Pediwear did send me the proper size in that case.

Well, it's strange that the larger-last UK 10 Stow now causes pain and the more TTS UK 10 Chepstow is too large. This is maddening.

I just tried out my Viccel heavy merino socks that I recently received and they seem to work a little nicer with the 10 Stow - still thick, but thinner than the other boot socks I was using before.

If I made add my 'two penneth' Brew, and in no particular order ?
Tricker's mislead many by using Numbers instead of Letters to denote the Width Fitting of their shoes, so as correctly pointed out, if it is hand written on the Lining 10.5. then it is a size 10, width fitting 5 (standard width). Half Sizes would be written 10 1/2 .5. but......the 'Half' is written as a fraction (1/2), and is most often so badly written that it is indercipherable.
You have the Stow, on 4497s Last which most would find to be more or less true to average size. If anything, it might be just slightly more generous in the Width than a regular fitting shoe, but working with many customers in store, I never usually find them sizing up or down into this Last. Your Chepstow is on 2161 Last, and again most will find this true to average size.
Just for interest, along and across the 'Footbed' of an English shoe, there is a measured difference in Length in each Half Size, of around 4mm, and less then 3mm Width. For each Half Size, there is a proportionate difference in the 'Volume' of the Upper, and it is in the Volume, where often the most significant difference in how a shoe fits and feels is found.
As individuals, we all have one foot slightly larger than the other, but some more noticeable than others. It could well be a slight difference in the size of your feet where you feel one shoe fits different. That said, it is also possible to 'Last' a shoe during manufacture, slightly 'looser' than the next. Low tension areas such as the Vamp, and Arch, if they are not shrunk tight to the Last, will mean the volume is slightly greater.
To fix the problem with your Stow being tight ? It is very easy for any good shoe repairer to stretch Width, or Volume over the top of the foot. All that's required is a commercial strtching machine, We have several in our store, and they are always busy 'tweaking' shoes for customers, mostly with great success.
If you find a shoe slightly too large, you might try wearing either a full or half Insole, which can be found in various materials and thicknesses. Using an Insole will reduce the volume, and so making the shoe a closer fit.
I will finish with......All shoes are made on a 'Last', and it is the Last which dictates the physical size, shape and fit of a shoe. English shoes (high end) are designed to 'fit', and fit very well but.....whilst there is a considered average size and foot shape, so there are considered average size and shape Lasts to make shoes on, we as individuals can have feet that are 'outside' of average. Some might have a wider forefoot, a narrower heel or a high instep. The trick is, to find A, a shoe that you like and B, a shoe that is made on a Last that suits your feet particularly well. Ultimately, there are shoes made that no matter how much you might wish to have them, they are made on a Last that doesn't suit your feet. This is why, when working with customers in our store, a pair of Insoles, or a stretching machine can come in very handy. In an ideal world, a shoe should fit perfect without adjustment, but perhaps we don't live in an ideal world :)
Always happy to offer any help if I can. [email protected]

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I made add my 'two penneth' Brew, and in no particular order ?
Tricker's mislead many by using Numbers instead of Letters to denote the Width Fitting of their shoes, so as correctly pointed out, if it is hand written on the Lining 10.5. then it is a size 10, width fitting 5 (standard width). Half Sizes would be written 10 1/2 .5. but......the 'Half' is written as a fraction (1/2), and is most often so badly written that it is indercipherable.
You have the Stow, on 4497s Last which most would find to be more or less true to average size. If anything, it might be just slightly more generous in the Width than a regular fitting shoe, but working with many customers in store, I never usually find them sizing up or down into this Last. Your Chepstow is on 2161 Last, and again most will find this true to average size.
Just for interest, along and across the 'Footbed' of an English shoe, there is a measured difference in Length in each Half Size, of around 4mm, and less then 3mm Width. For each Half Size, there is a proportionate difference in the 'Volume' of the Upper, and it is in the Volume, where often the most significant difference in how a shoe fits and feels is found.
As individuals, we all have one foot slightly larger than the other, but some more noticeable than others. It could well be a slight difference in the size of your feet where you feel one shoe fits different. That said, it is also possible to 'Last' a shoe during manufacture, slightly 'looser' than the next. Low tension areas such as the Vamp, and Arch, if they are not shrunk tight to the Last, will mean the volume is slightly greater.
To fix the problem with your Stow being tight ? It is very easy for any good shoe repairer to stretch Width, or Volume over the top of the foot. All that's required is a commercial strtching machine, We have several in our store, and they are always busy 'tweaking' shoes for customers, mostly with great success.
If you find a shoe slightly too large, you might try wearing either a full or half Insole, which can be found in various materials and thicknesses. Using an Insole will reduce the volume, and so making the shoe a closer fit.
I will finish with......All shoes are made on a 'Last', and it is the Last which dictates the physical size, shape and fit of a shoe. English shoes (high end) are designed to 'fit', and fit very well but.....whilst there is a considered average size and foot shape, so there are considered average size and shape Lasts to make shoes on, we as individuals can have feet that are 'outside' of average. Some might have a wider forefoot, a narrower heel or a high instep. The trick is, to find A, a shoe that you like and B, a shoe that is made on a Last that suits your feet particularly well. Ultimately, there are shoes made that no matter how much you might wish to have them, they are made on a Last that doesn't suit your feet. This is why, when working with customers in our store, a pair of Insoles, or a stretching machine can come in very handy. In an ideal world, a shoe should fit perfect without adjustment, but perhaps we don't live in an ideal world :)
Always happy to offer any help if I can. [email protected]

well said and explained!

Mighty Morris

Reaction score
Anyone know what happened to the Retrickers store on ebay? Are they on holiday?

The answering machine says that they are closed until June 2nd.

By the way, and because I have seen others here refer to it this way (and sorry for being pedantic) but it is actually the Tricker's Factory Shop, not the Retrickers Store. Tricker's shoes are made by R.E. Tricker Limited, est. 1829 ... hence the ebay name retricker1829.

Best,
MM

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The answering machine says that they are closed until June 2nd.

By the way, and because I have seen others here refer to it this way (and sorry for being pedantic) but it is actually the Tricker's Factory Shop, not the Retrickers Store.  Tricker's shoes are made by R.E. Tricker Limited, est. 1829 ... hence the ebay name retricker1829.

Best,
MM

Thanks for the info. They usually post on their ebay account that they are closed.

And yes, I was just sloppy in referring to them - using part of their username as shorthand.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom