• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oasis

PARTY

Reaction score
The guy was a dick for no reason.

Why the problem with Hip Hop? All he did was make himself very vulnerable. And then all his statements about tickets not selling etc etc turned out to be wrong. Jay-Z's tracks immediately began to be recirculated on the radio stations and he sort of made the festival.

brlfvr

Reaction score
No problem with hip hop fans. Just not sure Noel is worried about losing their respect necassarily.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am quite sure Noel Gallagher does not care a whole lot about losing the respect of JayZ fans.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
back when there was the Blur:Oasis rivalry, I was in the Blur camp, but over the years I've grown to like Oasis more and now Oasis>Blur

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their first 2 albums were terrific- that was pure British music. Cue the arguments against, but Liam's voice only worked in the studio. Every live track I've ever heard, he sounds like garbage.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Agreed, it does not translate well.

For me, Be Here Now was the last amazing Oasis album. Everything since has been sort of mediocre. They really were the greatest rock n' roll band in the world at their height.

zupermaus

Reaction score
hey these this is a live recording. Back in the day his voice was great:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

brlfvr

Reaction score
I don't know about his voice live now but everytime I heard him sing live it seemed good. I mean he has a thrashed sound to it on the records and it's not like he's not hitting certain high notes that are on the record. I dig it.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
back when there was the Blur:Oasis rivalry, I was in the Blur camp, but over the years I've grown to like Oasis more and now Oasis>Blur

I was always Blur > Oasis and I still am. At the time, Blur were making fun records and weren't taking themselves seriously (and Graham Coxon was still with them). I do like Oasis more now than I did then, though.

gabby11303

Reaction score
Has anybody gotten this latest record? It's pretty good. My favorite since Be Here Now, although I think there have been a lot of great songs from SOTSOG to DBTT. Gas Panic, Little by Little, Stop Crying Your heart out, Hindu Times, etc.

This latest is really good though. It may take a few listens to grow on you, but it will. I do agree about Liam's voice, not early on, but now it's not too great. I seem to like the songs that Noel sings. Has anybody ever gotten into their B sides? They have about two albums worth of great B sides that would be better than most people's albums. Talk Tonight, Whatever, The Masterplan, Acquiesce etc.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^blur were too british to make it here. oasis>blur, but suede were best of the lot IMO.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ahem

Originally Posted by Magician
If you guy's like Oasis you should give Pulp a listen. While they had none of the exposure of Blur or Oasis, they were making incredible Brit-pop at the same time. Pulp lyrics accomplish the rare feat of being poignant without being saccharine.

The song "E's and Wizz" really perfectly captures growing up as an artsy angsty kid better then anything by Blur or Oasis, IMO.

(though I do like Suede)

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I listened to Slide Away 3x.
I never thought about it, but when you wrote "Slide Away" I first thought of The Verve's "Slide Away" (predating the Oasis track); and then reading the lyrics, they seem to be about Richard Ashcroft. Am I just crazy? I do remember some kind of Ashcroft worship on the part of Noel. Exhibit A:
Originally Posted by oasis, slide away
Slide away - and give it all you've got My today - fell in from the top I dream of you - and all the things you say I wonder where you are now? Hold me down - all the world's asleep I need you now - you've knocked me off my feet I dream of you - we talk of growing old But you said please don't ! Slide in baby - together we'll fly I've tried praying - and I know just what you're saying to me Now that you're mine I'll find a way Of chasing the sun Let me be the one that shines with you In the morning when you don't know what to do Two of a kind We'll find a way To do what we've done Let me be the one that shines with you And we can slide away. Slide away - and give it all you've got My today - fell in from the top I dream of you - and all the things you say I wonder where you are now? Slide in baby - together we'll fly I've tried praying - and I know just what you're saying to me Now that you're mine I'll find a way Of chasing the sun Let me be the one that shines with you In the morning when you don't know what to do Two of a kind We'll find a way To do what we've done\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
exhibit B:
Originally Posted by verve, man called sun
Everybody seems to know when he's around He lifts me up and fades without a sound Mr. Sun won't you shine? Mr. Sun won't you shine? Why he's here I will never know He makes you know you feel Like somewhere to go Mr. Sun won't you shine? Mr. Sun just you shine Walking with a man called Sun I think my journey's just begun Do you think he'll mind? He lifts you up he shines And then he's gone But you know you need him More when he's gone Mr. Sun just shine Mr. Sun just shine Walking with a man called Sun I think my journey's just begun Do you think he'll mind? Shine... Shine... Shine... Shine... Let it shine...
early Verve > Oasis

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads