• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nominate the best posts on the forum and (maybe) win a prize - ongoing Front Page contest

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I understand.
Not everything is going to be compelling for everyone. That said, there are certain characteristics that will make a post good reading to a large audience.
Let's take some more concrete examples of what makes good first page posts. A factory tour, with lots of pictures, is going to be compelling for everyone (except, I suppose, the people who have to work in that factory every day). The shoe post about width and sizing is actually useful to a lot of people. Sure, if you already know a lot about shoes, you already know this stuff, but to see it well presented is interesting. Things like F. Corbera's MC vs. SW&D threads would be compelling to pretty much everyone, for obvious reasons. You could have nearly no interest in clothes, or be a fanatic, and still form an opinion about which outfit you like more.
Walls of text with no accompanying pictures are like academic papers. Unless you are actually saying something mindblowing and revelatory, it's probably not going to get featured.

no worries. i was just interested in the cornerstones.

actually, i agree with your explanation in general. not to sound pompous. i have too few matches with this sw&d perspective. nvm.

in f. c's words. i will not monitor this thread...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whodini's post on coffee, nominated by 1969: http://www.styleforum.net/t/306244/...central-america-with-photos/0_50#post_5561516

Technically, from SW&D, but just shows that good non-clothing related threads are fair game as well. This was perfect for the mix.

I'd love to see posts from MC, actually. There is a ton of stuff here, from the factory tours to pictorials of the bespoke process, (tailoring and footwear) that would be great material. Not sure why people have not nominated any of those.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
OK, I probably can't have two entries in a week, but here's a very good edmorel post from tonight: http://www.styleforum.net/t/308035/on-pattern-coordination-between-jacket-shirt-tie#post_5597796
So I've noticed that a lot of the newer posters like wearing multiple patterns and since I've been here there are always questions on how to wear 2-3 patterns, questions on scale etc. I just put together a few pics of what I think works when combining multiple patterns. Keep in mind that in my manner of dressing, I rarely if ever wear more than two patterns, and really only prefer to wear one, and I am one of those solid navy tie with everything guys. Mostly, these are outfits that I would not wear now, but again, that I think serve a purpose as a base for those that have trouble combining multiple patterns. These are just my opinions, not rules and I hope this threak serves a purpose, maybe even people can post outfits here that they are having trouble with from a pattern perspective to get feedback. I purposely did not use any solid blue shirts or solid ties because I don't think anyone needs help pairing those items.
First up is a suit. The fabric is a muted brown plaid, so it allows for a bolder shirt and tie. If you look at the outfit, you'll notice there are only really 2 colors in the whole thing, but it pops. I find that muted plaids lend themselves nicely to tattersall/gingham shirts, a striped shirt could just as easily be replaced here, but not too wide on the stripe spacing. What I would not wear here are a plaid shirt or tie, regardless of scale. The other thing I would keep in mind, when wearing patterns, the pattern itself are usually loud enough, no need to ramp up the volume by wearing crazy colors. Save the purple and green plaid tie for the solid navy jacket and blue shirt. the louder the pattern, the more muted the color should be.
005.jpg

002-1.jpg

Next up is a somewhat similar outfit, brown coat, blue shirt, blue tie. This coat has a streak or rust/brick running through it, so while muted, it has a bit more pop than the one above. Because of that, I kept the shirt very conservative (short of a solid shirt) and the tie has complimentary colors in its pattern. I think everything here goes together tastefully, nothing clashes nor screams at you and nothing is matchy-matchy. Just because the jacket has that rust/brink line does not mean that I run out to find a tie or shirt with a similar color in it to pick up the jacket, matching is not good, coordinating is better.
015.jpg

017.jpg

Now we get a little bit louder. I've noticed a few coats here, grey glen plaids/PoW's that have been too muted. On any pattern that a suit could be made of, you need to go bolder if it is a sportcoat. If it is a windowpane or PoW, it can't be too muted because then it looks like a suit jacket (applies mostly to worsted's). With a coat this loud, I am going to keep everything else as quiet as possible but since I need to have a patterned shirt and tie, I chose something brown as I find that brown "soothes" greys. Again, there are some coordinating colors and while a loud jacket, the outfit overall is not extremely loud. The big plaid of the jacket is large enough to not clash with the smaller checks of the shirt. the tie brings both things together.
025-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

I ran out of daylight for the pics so that is all that I have for now, feel free to post your own combinations, questions or to take apart my combinations.
/SPOILER]

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I don't get how this works. People nominate posts/threads (thanks, SVB), and then what?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But does it involve a poll or something? Sorry if I missed things.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But does it involve a poll or something? Sorry if I missed things.

There will be a poll every month or so for a small prize, and then, a the end of the year, for post of the year, and then we'll send that person on some magical goose chase to get a pair of MTO shoes or dinner with Manton and Itsstillmatt or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads