• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No wonder Amerikuns are so fat!

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Yeah, but that's only on a weekend when I feel like taking a 1 hour ferry-ride to the Island or a 3 hour bus ride. Here on the mainland there's not much going on :/

Import a couple of Mexicans and start your own restaurant.
teacha.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That isn't a bad idea, if I didn't mind living in a third-world country for a while.
Is an Ameri-kun like a domo-kun?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they have anything similar to Taco trucks in China? With a billion people just seems like such an untapped market for relatively cheap cuisine.

Of course getting the right ingredients might be a *****.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The problem is that corn and beans aren't cheap here, and cheese and avocados are expensive and must be imported. Plus, Chinese people have a palate like a cow's backside, they wouldn't know good food if it slaughtered millions of them, and then put it's face on a building overlooking Tian An Men Square. If I were to start a foreign restaurant in China, it would have to be in an area with a large concentration of foreigners, and even then it would still have a high chance of failing- Chinese people just don't appreciate western food (not that what passes for western food here is even good)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's time the air is cleared around here with iammatt quoting some insightful passages from one of Michael Pollan's books.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
That used to be a problem in the former Soviet Union but the current generation is in much better shape. I was in Ukraine for a week and saw a total of 14 fat people - and that includdes the pregnant ones as well. Now if I had made the same statement you did, kwilkinson would have been on my case lol.

I love that you counted the number of fat people. What a telling fact.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
The problem is that corn and beans aren't cheap here, and cheese and avocados are expensive and must be imported. Plus, Chinese people have a palate like a cow's backside, they wouldn't know good food if it slaughtered millions of them, and then put it's face on a building overlooking Tian An Men Square. If I were to start a foreign restaurant in China, it would have to be in an area with a large concentration of foreigners, and even then it would still have a high chance of failing- Chinese people just don't appreciate western food (not that what passes for western food here is even good)

It wouldn't help either that the large amounts of cheese used on Mexican food would cause the immediate area to vacate due to gaseous Chinese.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
It wouldn't help either that the large amounts of cheese used on Mexican food would cause the immediate area to vacate due to gaseous Chinese.

I was thinking the same thing. Tex-Mex would not be terribly popular among the locals...ex-pats will love you for it though.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
50# loss without eating anything "reduced fat" or "light." Portion control, incorporating a lot of veggies, and removing all the simple carbs the modern diet is laced with i.e. high fructose corn syrup, white flour, etc. is all it took.

Originally Posted by SField
The only thing I disagree with when it comes to your diet (based on what you've told me), is treating potatoes and bread like kryptonite. If I got that wrong, then please forgive me. Other than that, you did a great job. Foie is incredibly satiating, and you probably ingest, far, far fewer calories than some land whale eating "light" everything with the omnipresent bucket of diet coke.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Not quite kryptonite but close. I had three fingerling rosemary potatoes with dinner last night. Saturday I had about 1/3 of a baguette sliced with a meal of charcuterie, cheese, and wine. Of course, that was my only meal that day with a couple of light snacks. Mon-Thurs I will get the lion's share of my carbs from veggies. I slack off (a little) on the weekends.

Good for you, Pio. Pretty much works for me too, when I am not cheating like a bastard -- maybe it's a Canuck thing.

Allen

Reaction score
Well, nachos are appetizers but nu one actually eats a main course after eating lots of nachos, c'mon.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allen
Well, nachos are appetizers but nu one actually eats a main course after eating lots of nachos, c'mon.

In America they do. And then they have dessert.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
This is an appetizer (nachos and cheese) at a sports/bar restaurant in Atlanta. What was more surprising is that someone actually ate half of it all by herself!

Appetizer.jpg

mmm. i would do that myself if it was a good plate of nachos however big.

Originally Posted by musicguy
At most, I saw 5 obese people when I was in Japan. I was there for 6 weeks.

and they were all visiting amerikuns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads