• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

manasota

Reaction score

^That looks like some proper logging leather.

For a while I've been using some Red Wing 3140 as my do everything work and casual boot, but I'm looking to take a step [or 2 or 3] up and get some custom fitted White's or Nicks. Probably Nicks tbh because their stitching seems more consistent and I like the way the heel counter overlaps with the upper more. That's practically the only difference between the two boots and the grumpy old man at my local distributor of White's and Nicks kept stressing how much they were exactly the same. Sadly he was a giant douche and probably had never ordered a boot for someone that wasn't a firefighter, so I won't be dealing with him again, but that's a story for another time.

I've been doing research and trying to decide on what configuration I want. I think I'm pretty set on natural CXL, but I wanted to make sure it would be ok for a work environment that takes a lot of scuffs. Seems like that would add a lot of character to that kind of leather, but I've heard somewhat different things about the toughness of the leather. Want to make sure it can take these kind of hits on a daily basis.

Another thing I'm mulling over is the sole type. Since my current boots are a wedge sole and I'm walking on smooth concrete all day, my first instinct was to go for something like this in a 6" version.

But after seeing awesome pics like this, I'm wondering if a traditional logger/cuban heel and a Vibram 700 could be just as comfortable for 8 hour days standing and walking on concrete.
900x900px-LL-9de17b79_IMG_4509.jpeg

I'm concerned the 2021 sole will wear down too fast with the foot miles I put in, but at the same time having that elevated rubber sole could be better for when I have to stand in up to 1/2" of water when cleaning in the cooler at work.

Lastly... a question about lasts. So, if I wanted the Nicks version of a bounty hunter, I'd just order a 6" boot with the #3 toe? Not really sure what the equivalent would be.

Thanks

I went through the exact same thing. Go with the 2021 wedge. You'll thank me later.

Chris Tran

Reaction score
^"It's aesthetic preference but I'm not really understanding the concerns with toe collapse and boot price correlation. They're boots not dress shoes."

The difference is intended use. I'm not buying them to work in and I prefer them to not look all beat up since they will be worn with a variety of pants/shirts. Personal preference based on use and desired appearance. I never wore my RedWing work boots out, they were for work. But this class of boot I 'can' wear out and coming from the perspective of one who has worn work boots, work shoes I beat up, dress shoes or non work shoes, I wear in social situations or urban/office environment. Totally different applications.

^^Chris, thanks for the reminder on shoe trees. I need to buy some. Any thoughts on the regular vs. the boot version to go in boots? Thanks.

I don't use shoe trees, in the boots. The combination of Obenauf's plus my rotating has proven to be enough. My toebox hasn't collapsed or anything. I use the extra thick oil-tanned leathers, and all my CXL/aniline stuff from Nick's usually has a toe cap which is self supporting.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol, I took the time to complete their fit sheet and sent it to them almost one month ago and no contact or follow up yet, even though I called twice and left messages.. If this is any indication of how long it will take for the boots to be made, I think I will pass..

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
It's aesthetic preference but I'm not really understanding the concerns with toe collapse and boot price correlation. They're boots not dress shoes. I've seen plenty of great examples with and without celastic and it's not something that's always needed even in a work environment. To me it makes a boot look nicely broken in and super comfortable.

are those nick's?? If so do you know what leather?

Also, can someone visually illustrate the difference between the rolled welt and mckay stitch construction please..

4characters

Reaction score
Those are White's Bounty Hunters in natural Chromexel.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the Cascadia Boot thread, but figured I ought to put it here as well. Some nice waxflesh boots made by Nick's for the Taiwanese store Mansway:

petersim

Reaction score
I posted this on the Cascadia Boot thread, but figured I ought to put it here as well. Some nice waxflesh boots made by Nick's for the Taiwanese store Mansway:

ok guys, so who's got the skinny on the 'new' line of casual boots from nick's? on their 'shop' webpage for casual boots, they have a new pic of a 5" boot with no name listed [or maybe just a new version of the 5" robert?] and i've also seen instagram pics similar to the one linafelt posted above. i'm looking to get a roughout service boot and i like the way the counter does not overlap the upper/vamp seam. more like the original service boot.

and speaking of that, has anyone got a roughout boot from nick's? comments vs similar boot from white's?

Chris Tran

Reaction score
ok guys, so who's got the skinny on the 'new' line of casual boots from nick's? on their 'shop' webpage for casual boots, they have a new pic of a 5" boot with no name listed [or maybe just a new version of the 5" robert?] and i've also seen instagram pics similar to the one linafelt posted above. i'm looking to get a roughout service boot and i like the way the counter does not overlap the upper/vamp seam. more like the original service boot.

and speaking of that, has anyone got a roughout boot from nick's? comments vs similar boot from white's?

That is the new 5" boot with lowered block heel and more relaxed arch. I think Nick's can do a better product than White's from time to time. Have a close friend who switched from White's after his pull tabs broke almost right away on his new Bounty Hunters, then his second pair developed an incurable squeak which Baker's then refunded him,.

The roughout has the same leather care as the smooth, but is much more resistant to surface scuffs and scratches, so it's an excellent choice for heel counter and toe vamp.

petersim

Reaction score
That is the new 5" boot with lowered block heel and more relaxed arch. I think Nick's can do a better product than White's from time to time. Have a close friend who switched from White's after his pull tabs broke almost right away on his new Bounty Hunters, then his second pair developed an incurable squeak which Baker's then refunded him,.

The roughout has the same leather care as the smooth, but is much more resistant to surface scuffs and scratches, so it's an excellent choice for heel counter and toe vamp.
thanks. does anyone have this new boot yet? [or is it even for sale yet?] wondering about that lowered arch. i got a pair of hathorn travelers with an advertised lower arch than white's other options and it is almost un-noticable. [maybe i just have high arches??] wondering if this new nick's is the same. IMO, the arch support is what sets nick's and white's apart from the rest.

BTW, this boot would look great in a light/medium brown roughout.

Chris Tran

Reaction score
thanks. does anyone have this new boot yet? [or is it even for sale yet?] wondering about that lowered arch. i got a pair of hathorn travelers with an advertised lower arch than white's other options and it is almost un-noticable. [maybe i just have high arches??] wondering if this new nick's is the same. IMO, the arch support is what sets nick's and white's apart from the rest.

BTW, this boot would look great in a light/medium brown roughout.

It's on sale right now if you call in and ask for it. They have no site literature on it because they are building a new site to be based on their newer, bigger facility which will be capable of more production with the same standards, and pushing more online sales.

I personally would never mess with a lowered arch. It's a comfort feature unique to this style of footwear. You can adjust to a higher arch 90% of the time, I spent my life in chuck taylors and adjusted just fine.

I can be on my feet for 12 hours a day now, whereas I see people at convention centers struggle for 4.

petersim

Reaction score
It's on sale right now if you call in and ask for it. They have no site literature on it because they are building a new site to be based on their newer, bigger facility which will be capable of more production with the same standards, and pushing more online sales.

I personally would never mess with a lowered arch. It's a comfort feature unique to this style of footwear. You can adjust to a higher arch 90% of the time, I spent my life in chuck taylors and adjusted just fine.

I can be on my feet for 12 hours a day now, whereas I see people at convention centers struggle for 4.
yeah, i tend to agree with you. the high arch is nice. and it took no time for me to adjust to it. the arch on my white's semi dress feels only moderate to me. not sure how high that one is compared to whites other lasts or how it compares to nick's 'standard' arch, tho.

i did read somewhere that nick's is toying around with different [higher] arches in this new nick's boot. would be nice to get a higher arch in a lower block heel.

and i hadn't heard about nick's expansion plans. they need it but you can't just take anyone off the street and say 'ok, go make this custom boot'. i hope their quality doesn't suffer while the 'expanded workforce' comes up to speed.

Art89b

Reaction score

Here is my third pair of Nicks. These are Roberts with a Olive chrome-excel. the heel is massive, might consider taking them to the cobbler for a slight trim. I hate the fact that its been to hot to wear them in LA at the moment.

persco

Reaction score
I bought a pair of 5" Roberts a couple of months ago and have been trying to order a second pair from Nick's. They replied to one email inquiry but haven't replied to any of my follow up emails. I've tried a couple of times now. Anyone else having trouble getting a response out of them? When I was ordering my first pair in May, their communication was just super. Very responsive. Now I just get silence...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads