• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Sutor Mantellassi monks at STP

bigskydream

Reaction score
What do you guys think about these Sutor monks that STP just got in?
sutors.jpg

I only have one pair of dress shoes (AEs), and am looking for a versatile brown shoe that I could wear with suits and with jeans. Would these fit the bill?

Would they be a good buy at $480 (incl 20% discount from coupon)?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...p-For-Men.html

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most definitely, and that's a great price. especially since you don't have to pay tax on top of that (assuming you get 20% off too).

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Those shoes are gorgeous. In reference to another thread, I think they'd be a good buy even at full retail. Mantellassi's are distinctive, exceptional shoes. These would add style to a suit or casual wear. Hope you purchase and enjoy!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to purchase them just now, but I really need to save my money. How the hell am I going to drive an M5 if I'm dropping money on shoes left and right!?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the nicest SMs that I have seen. The ghost seam is much more attractive here than on the SM wholecut. I kept waiting for Neiman Marcus to put this shoe on sale for Last Call, but they never did.

mr.carlitos

Reaction score
to me they look quite old-fashioned ...

although i appreciate MANTELLASSI's nice leathers and finishings ... in my opinion they should start reviewing their lasts and designs

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FatController
I find monk straps generally to be worn by ponces. No need for 'em.

What do you mean by "ponces"? I think monks are a good addition to a collection for variety and a different look. One can only have so many lace up shoes (in the case of our very own APortnoy, that is obviously not the case), but for us mortals it's nice to have something other than lace ups. But if you don't like them, that's up to you...

I was never a fan of them until they grew on me, now I want the most *decadent* one of all (arguably), the JL Chapels.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
What do you mean by "ponces"? I think monks are a good addition to a collection for variety and a different look. One can only have so many lace up shoes (in the case of our very own APortnoy, that is obviously not the case), but for us mortals it's nice to have something other than lace ups. But if you don't like them, that's up to you...

I was never a fan of them until they grew on me, now I want the most *decadent* one of all (arguably), the JL Chapels.

I was never a fan of them either until I purchased a pair of RLPL Grants, they have a subtle elegance to them.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I think that in his dialect "ponce" means "guys who aren't douchebags like me".
smile.gif
Just a guess, though.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.carlitos
if i would ever buy a monk ... i would probably go choose an alden http://suityourself.com/previewimagewithID.asp?GID=409

Your objection to monks is that they look old-fashioned, but if you were to buy a pair they would be . . . Aldens? That seems a bit contradictory. I love Aldens and own several pair (none of them monks), but they aren't exactly fashion forward.

mr.carlitos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Your objection to monks is that they look old-fashioned, but if you were to buy a pair they would be . . . Aldens? That seems a bit contradictory. I love Aldens and own several pair (none of them monks), but they aren't exactly fashion forward.

true, they might not be fashion forward.... but neither they are old-fashioned !

... to me Alden's monks are of timeless classic beyond trends and fashion ...

while mantellassi's in my opinion are and remain old-fashioned, nowadays not wearable anymore!

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The ghost seam is much more attractive here than on the SM wholecut.

I agree with that, but I'm still not sure if I like that aspect of the shoe. I like the rest of the look quite a bit though.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One can only have so many lace up shoes (in the case of our very own APortnoy, that is obviously not the case), but for us mortals it's nice to have something other than lace ups.

I love monks, too. Chapel, Vale, Grant, Jermyn II, Naseby, Matta II, Oundle.
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SARUAR1258