• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF OCT 12, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hi, i would like to buy some dress boots/ chelsea boots to wear with a suit and also casually. can i get some thoughts on this? is it too pointy?

Welcome to the forum, vegeta. Those are too pointy for my taste.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm fairly poor right now, so the cheaper, the better. I'm kind of at the point of shopping around to see what types of things I can afford. I'd love to find something for >$300, but I'm realizing that is a bit unrealistic. But any help finding the sort of suits I'm looking for is still appreciated even if it's way over that price range just so I can have a better handle on the type of things I like (fits, styles, patterns, colors, materials, ~brands, etc.).

Unfortunately you are not likely to find what you are looking for at <$300 (I think you meant less than?), especially if you're interested in a 3-piece suit, but I agree with your plan to check out suits in person.

Since your budget is limited, if you're going to splurge on a wedding suit, perhaps it'd make more sense to go with a more versatile fabric? Not that the tweed fabrics that you posted aren't awesome.

Once you've tried out some suits in person, at your budget you might consider SuitSupply. Good value, and they offer free shipping and free returns, so there is little risk to you. Just be sure to disregard their website Size Advisor--it will recommend something 1-2 sizes too small.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clot...s/PRDOVR~05143/05143.jsp?color_name=hthr-navy

They have my size too which is the hardest thing to find OTR: 34/s

This blazer is most likely fused.. but for $188... it's kind of a good deal, no?

It's not something I would buy. I'd rather save my money and buy once piece that is well made and will last than something that is cheap...price and quality. It really depends on if you need something now and what you can afford.

Markboots

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to draw upon expert knowledge to help me with a Sport Coat purchase. I am looking for two new sport coats, one for work and one for outside work to be paired with Khaki or jeans.

Considerations - I like soft natural shoulders (no padding).
Size - any where between 40 to 42. I normally wear a 42 but not every brands 42 is the same
Material - Probably cotton for jeans and wool for work (soft to the touch).
Design - as basic as possible, solid color
Fit - 21.5 or 22 chest, approx 18.5-19 shoulder, sleeve length around 24-25.
Condition - Prefer new (don't we all) but like new works
Age - Recent
Button - 2 for both but would consider one for the one paired with jeans.
Fitted - Slim Fit. Best off the rack shirt for fit for me is Isaia 15.5 neck or Michael Bastian 15.75 neck. I work out a lot and have a slim waist so want the jacket to be fitted.

I was on yoox and was lost in regards to the different brands. Outside of about 15 brands I don't know quality and even if I saw it in person I am not an expert (only started getting into quality clothing in the last year). Not much information on sizing for yoox as well.

I appreciate the Styleforum and eBay listing because you actually get size information.

Any brand recommendations for the thrifty buying like myself? Name brands are good for me in general because I feel I receive a level of quality but realize I pay for the name brand which is why I turning to the keen eyes of this message board to help me find the value outside the limited names I know.

Feel free to point me to current open listing on the buy & sell board.

Price point... Have not finalized one yet but want each one to be under $500, the lower the better.

Appreciate any help!!

Regards,
Mark

Markboots

Reaction score
Just looking at Yoox now and wanted to provided an example for the one paired with jeans and to show I am looking : ). Great price point with the sale. Yes, I am one of those people that you can makr it up and then mark it way down and I think I am getting a deal. If the links don't work. The brands is Christian Pellizzari (picture looks very slim cut)

http://www.yoox.com/us/41347242WK/i...s=sr_samplesaleman80&cod10=41347242WD&sizeId=

The Eidos Napoli on Styleforum, I really like it except the armpit to armpit is 22.75 so that would be too big.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/506311/...ianchi-mantova-pal-zileri-cashmere-silk-linen

I also like the Tagliatore but the cut is more relaxed than the Eidos

regards,
Mark

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi,

I recently obtained my first double breasted suit.  Being new to DBs, I have a few questions I am hoping I can get help with.  First, there seems to be some basting (or stiches) connecting the collar to the lapel.  Is that supposed to be cut out?  It holds the two together nicely, and is almost invisible.  But nevertheless, it's basting, I think and if so, should probably go.

Also, indoors, generally, I button my SB suit when I stand and unbotton it when I sit.   Does this rule apply to DBs?  DBs look awfully messy unbottoned.  And I dont find it restrictive in the least when sitting buttoned up.  What's the rule for DBs, if there is one at all? If there is none, what do you experinced DB wearers do?
Thank you in advanced for your assistance.

Hey Jim, if your sure it's basting thread, carefully cut and remove it. You always leave a DB buttoned when sitting. Cheers.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just looking at Yoox now and wanted to provided an example for the one paired with jeans and to show I am looking : ).  Great price point with the sale.  Yes, I am one of those people that you can makr it up and then mark it way down and I think I am getting a deal.  If the links don't work.  The brands is Christian Pellizzari (picture looks very slim cut)

http://www.yoox.com/us/41347242WK/i...s=sr_samplesaleman80&cod10=41347242WD&sizeId=

The Eidos Napoli on Styleforum, I really like it except the armpit to armpit is 22.75 so that would be too big.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/506311/...ianchi-mantova-pal-zileri-cashmere-silk-linen

I also like the Tagliatore but the cut is more relaxed than the Eidos

regards,
Mark

Hey Mark, I don't know anything about that Yoox brand but I am a big fan of Eidos. If your looking for something really casual to wear with jeans, look at Boglioli or LBM1911. What kind of jacket are you looking for to wear in the office? A staple navy blazer or just anything that appeals to you?

Markboots

Reaction score
Thanks Murlsquirel for your reply. I actually pulled the trigger on the Christian Pellizzari. I had an itchy trigger finger and now crossing my fingers that it fits. Figured at that price is was worth the risk. I can say that now since it doesn't not fit yet : )

Anyways I can always add another blazer so I will look at Eidos, Boglioli or LBM1911. I did see a few Boglioli and they looked solid. Any price point, based on your experience, is what I should look to spend on Eidos, Boglioli or LBM1911?

For work I actually have a solid navy, gray and brown. All E Zegna that I purchased on eBay. So, it is more around something that appeals to me at this time.

I see quite a few CA members on here. Good to see. Mill Valley guy myself.... well for the last 1.5 years.

Regards,
Mark

Jim Chu

Reaction score
Thank you very much for replying Murlsquirel. I thought that was the case, but was not positive.

I love the way DBs look, but I find them a little (just a little) cumbersome vs. single breasted jackets.
I guess before one obtains a double breasted jacket, it's important to take it for a serious test run - especially while sitting-before buying or before having the tailoring finalized.

-ciao.

Gent009

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a short question about a shirt.
The shirt is on this link: http://www.zara.com/hr/en/-/red-label-shirt-c437566p2773570.html
Here, where I live, oxford shirts are very hard to find. Almost no one sells them, but I'am in need of pale blue and white one. I came across these ones in Zara, they really look and feel like an oxford cloth, but I'am inexperienced in cloths, sou could any of you that have the knowledge confirm this. (You can click on a blue one for better contrast and then click on one of a bottom pictures for better view. The view could actually be even more detailed by opnening that zoomed picture in a n ew tab and then zooming it even more by pressing ctrl+mouse wheel)
I've also included the picture here.
Thank you all for your answers!
Thank you all for your answers.

Laclede

Reaction score
Hello,

I have lurked this forum in the past, but now have a question. I am attending a matinee performance of my local symphony tomorrow and was wondering if a navy blazer and chinos would be appropriate? It is the only properly fitting jacket I currently own due to recent weight loss. Any advice would be appreciated.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello,

I have lurked this forum in the past, but now have a question. I am attending a matinee performance of my local symphony tomorrow and was wondering if a navy blazer and chinos would be appropriate? It is the only properly fitting jacket I currently own due to recent weight loss. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Laclede. Sounds like it's your only option. Do you have any grey wool trousers? Congrats on the weight loss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads