• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 9, 2015

MitzEclipse

Reaction score
Hi all, I do lots of travelling to very cold winter climates and currently in Seoul where it's freezing in the city. I'm looking for the best and warmest mens gloves and hat for the city not slopes.

All reviews online I can find are for ski/snowboarding - I'm looking for some good quality mens gloves and hat for walking around the city -

here are my requirements:

- very durable, a quality brand that will last many years

- made of natural fibers like wool/cashmere/etc not synthetic

- doesn't have to be waterproof - therefore I'm not discounting leather gloves, but it needs to be very warm. My current cashmere leather gloves which are pretty thick aren't cutting it in the Seoul winter+wind chill.

- looks good with not much branding I was originally thinking the canada goose gloves and hat here: http://www.canada-goose.com/northern-glove-5156M.html#start=1 http://www.canada-goose.com/aviator...mens-accessories&dwvar_5187M_Color=11#start=1 but I absolutely hate the branding they put on the outside with the obnoxious logo.

I'm willing to spend the right amount of money on these gloves as I'll be relocating to Zurich so I'll need them in the next winter season for sure! Cheers

mjmyers28

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, mj. I think the only people suited to answer this question are bespoke tailors themselves. Lucky for you, you live in the same city as one of the best in the US, Chris Despos, who is also a member of this forum. I know he's a busy man, but maybe shoot him a line or drop by and see if he can offer some advice. Best of luck.

Thanks for the quick reply! Still getting the hang of this forum. Any suggestion on where to post this for the bespoke tailors in this forum to see?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

domon

Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen,

Long story short, im getting married, and never having been the most stylish person want to look my very best on my bride's special day. A little background on the setting to help justify my choice in suit. It is an outdoor wedding at our home which we have built together, late afternoon in what photographers tend to call the golden hour.

I've been looking at different suits for some time, with no prejudgement or idea of what i wanted other than that a tux was too formal, and in my search, i found a style that seems relatively uncommon, but caught my eye.

Pictures speak 1000 words, so here are three

Through my narrowing down process, I determined that i liked grey, vested suits. Further along that line, i preferred suits with 5 or 6 buttons, that had a fairly high V on the vest. Finally, what jumped out most about the suit above for me was the lapels on the vest. I realize it is a bit rare, but I really like the look.

Heres the catch. The suit is a chinese suit, 60% polyester, and just generally ill fitting. It was only 100 dollars, so i ordered it just to see it in person. It is not suitable (no pun intended) in any way, so I am left with the task of finding a similar or like suit, of higher quality.

I was hoping you gentlemen might have some ideas that would help me find one.

I am located in maryland, so clothiers in DC, baltimore, or annapolis are all viable options.

michilius

Reaction score
First post...

I recently bought the Banana Republic Kentfield slim pants in Taupe, which I really like. I tend to pair them with my light brown suede shoes and a couple of my solid blue shirts. I was thinking about buying the Navy color (link), which is more of a light blue/grey color.

Problem I'm having is figuring out what color/pattern/style shoes and shirts I should pair with them for my business casual workplace.

Any thoughts for a neophyte?

domon

Reaction score
Thank you for moving my post over here. I wasnt sure if it was too in depth for this thread.

Its strange, i saw a popup about a response to my post, and now its gone though. did any responses on my original thread also get moved in here?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for moving my post over here. I wasnt sure if it was too in depth for this thread.

Its strange, i saw a popup about a response to my post, and now its gone though. did any responses on my original thread also get moved in here?

No worries, I moved it here because you are new but you would actually get more help in the official wedding thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/329568/official-wedding-attire-question-answer-picture-thread

That look is actually fairly common...the lapeled vest not so much, but it is a matter of personal preference. If you want to stick around in this thread for help, what is your budget? You have a lot of options in the DC area.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all, I do lots of travelling to very cold winter climates and currently in Seoul where it's freezing in the city. I'm looking for the best and warmest mens gloves and hat for the city not slopes.

All reviews online I can find are for ski/snowboarding - I'm looking for some good quality mens gloves and hat for walking around the city -

here are my requirements:

- very durable, a quality brand that will last many years

- made of natural fibers like wool/cashmere/etc not synthetic

- doesn't have to be waterproof - therefore I'm not discounting leather gloves, but it needs to be very warm. My current cashmere leather gloves which are pretty thick aren't cutting it in the Seoul winter+wind chill.

- looks good with not much branding I was originally thinking the canada goose gloves and hat here: http://www.canada-goose.com/northern-glove-5156M.html#start=1 http://www.canada-goose.com/aviator...mens-accessories&dwvar_5187M_Color=11#start=1 but I absolutely hate the branding they put on the outside with the obnoxious logo.

I'm willing to spend the right amount of money on these gloves as I'll be relocating to Zurich so I'll need them in the next winter season for sure! Cheers

Welcome to the forum, Mitz. I wish I could help, but I am from California! I spent one winter in Boston and never even bothered wearing gloves....toughed it out! Hopefully some of our eskimo pals can help out. Best of luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads