• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 21, 2015

RoddaG

Reaction score
Hey guys, Merry Christmas! A couple of days ago I had some Alfred Sargent Chelsea boots come in from an eBay auction I won. They are in great condition and hardly used but one of the pull tabs has been replaced with a piece/loop of leather in a rather home-made repair. This was not mentioned in the description but becuase of the overall condition of the boots (and the rather bargain price I paid for them) I would rather not send them back. Do you think a good cobbler or such like would be able to replace the pull tabs?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys, Merry Christmas! A couple of days ago I had some Alfred Sargent Chelsea boots come in from an eBay auction I won. They are in great condition and hardly used but one of the pull tabs has been replaced with a piece/loop of leather in a rather home-made repair. This was not mentioned in the description but becuase of the overall condition of the boots (and the rather bargain price I paid for them) I would rather not send them back. Do you think a good cobbler or such like would be able to replace the pull tabs?

Yes, but it will never look as new because the leathers won't be exact matches.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently decided to step up my wardrobe game with some better clothes. I wandered to a thrift shop and picked up a worsted wool navy sport jacket for 75 cents. I'm very interested in the history of this brand. It says tailors row by deansgate and made in U.S.A. I've searched the forums and found nothing on the topic as well as a Google search. Any insight on this clothing brand would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Deansgate blazer. It falls into that "they don't make them like they used to" category. Not a particularly expensive garment (not as nice as period BB makers, but better than Cricketeer and the like), but the quality is better than today's "cheap" stuff (mine is half-canvassed, but no hand work and the cloth is a decent-but-not-special hopsack). They followed the times, on the preppy side of things: I have seen '60s Deansgate coats that were pure Ivy league, while mine is very Ralph "updated American" with a wide lapel, high notch, and darts on a fairly tasteful, middle-of-the-road blazer. Forget what the label implies for a date but mine is most likely from sometime between '72 and '82.

If it has a union tag, you can date the rough period from that.

I get the sense they, like many brands, went downhill in terms of quality at some point. I've seen bad '80s stuff from them in addition to the great '60s and '70s stuff.

keeno

Reaction score
Apologize for the continuous questions, but I need some advice on the suit in the attached link. Have been trying to take advantage of some generous pricing on some RLBL suits and this was an option. I like it, but trying to figure out how this plays in a wardrobe geared towards business suits. Thought something different might be nice for less formal occasions. As always, thanks in advance.

http://www.barneys.com/ralph-lauren-black-label-micro-checked-two-button-anthony-suit-504279099.html

newguy2545

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have an issue with a suit, the suit is dark gray (almost black) with black matte buttons.
So I took it to the dry cleaners and the buttons seem to have on about 80% of the surface a white/gray film. When I try to remove it with anything (water, liquid soap) the film goes away, but as soon as it evaporates it comes back.
I tried every substance I have in the house, but to no avail.

All the other types of buttons (which are kind of glossy) do not have this issue.
What should i use?

Last edited:

brycelarkin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

There's currently a promotion for students where AE is selling a package (shoe, belt, and shoe tree) for $350. (http://www.allenedmonds.com/student.html)

I'm planning on buying the dark brown strands. It'll be my first pair of shoes outside of the $50 black dress shoes I own.

I don't really need them until I graduate school and start work in Summer 2016 so I'm not in a rush. I'm also not really looking into buying seconds since I don't think I actually know enough to catch any errors if they happen to be material.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? I wasn't really intending on buying a belt or tree from AE and don't think I'll have trouble finding a matching belt for brown shoes.

Thanks

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

There's currently a promotion for students where AE is selling a package (shoe, belt, and shoe tree) for $350. (http://www.allenedmonds.com/student.html)

I'm planning on buying the dark brown strands. It'll be my first pair of shoes outside of the $50 black dress shoes I own.

I don't really need them until I graduate school and start work in Summer 2016 so I'm not in a rush. I'm also not really looking into buying seconds since I don't think I actually know enough to catch any errors if they happen to be material.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? I wasn't really intending on buying a belt or tree from AE and don't think I'll have trouble finding a matching belt for brown shoes.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, @brycelarkin. That is a pretty good deal. They are great entry level shoes and will serve you well for a long time. Check out our AE appreciation thread when you get a chance http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread-reviews-pictures-sizing-etc

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have an issue with a suit, the suit is dark gray (almost black) with black matte buttons.
So I took it to the dry cleaners and the buttons seem to have on about 80% of the surface a white/gray film. When I try to remove it with anything (water, liquid soap) the film goes away, but as soon as it evaporates it comes back.
I tried every substance I have in the house, but to no avail.

All the other types of buttons (which are kind of glossy) do not have this issue.
What should i use?

Hey @newguy2545 . I wouldn't mess with it anymore. I would just a have a tailor swap out the buttons. It shouldn't be too expensive. The last thing you want is to spill some chemical on the cloth while trying to clean a $1 button and ruin the suit.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologize for the continuous questions, but I need some advice on the suit in the attached link. Have been trying to take advantage of some generous pricing on some RLBL suits and this was an option. I like it, but trying to figure out how this plays in a wardrobe geared towards business suits. Thought something different might be nice for less formal occasions. As always, thanks in advance.

http://www.barneys.com/ralph-lauren-black-label-micro-checked-two-button-anthony-suit-504279099.html

No need to apologize @keeno , that's what the forum is for. I like the suit.

keeno

Reaction score
Thank you murlsquirl. Always appreciate the prompt responses and insight. Take care.

keeno

Reaction score
So, a representative was looking for suits in my size and came back with a tan gabardine. I've never really considered one, but I kinda like the idea in theory. My issue is when to wear it. Would be interested to get your thoughts on this if it's not too much trouble.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So, a representative was looking for suits in my size and came back with a tan gabardine. I've never really considered one, but I kinda like the idea in theory. My issue is when to wear it. Would be interested to get your thoughts on this if it's not too much trouble.

A summer wedding would be one occasion.

keeno

Reaction score
Yeah, that struck my mind, but I'm 36 and my wedding days aren't quite so frequent anymore. Is it considered too casual for the office? I assume it's appropriate to dress down without a tie?
It may be too much of a specialty thing for me and that's fine. Figured I'd get a second opinion though. It sounded kind of appealing for some reason.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
classless