• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Job - Manhattan and wardrobe

NYliGuy

Reaction score

i want to know why you are reaading that awful John Malloy book

I came across his blog, and never read the book. I just found it interesting and relatable when he brought up the 'fashion failure' stories of passing over a guy for promotion because his attire. I'm sure more to it than his clothes, but still I related when I thought of comments my old bosses would make if I came in wearing fancy brogue shoes and a slightly flamboyant shirts.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this case, variety in dress shirt patterns probably would be the safest way to include a stylish edge while still complying with a conservative dress code. Plus, patterns help when switching over to bar mode.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IF YOU DO NOT OWN THE FOLLOWING THINGS, YOU ARE NOT WELL DRESSED

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-decent, non-chino khakis
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit
-a navy worsted single breasted suit
-a white FC shirt
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD
-black stitch caps
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you)
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine
-a plain white linen hanky

For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
-at least one linen suit
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check
-at least one wool or cashmere tie
-at least one linen or linen blend tie

If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/...ollowing-things-you-are-not-well-dressed/0_50

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That list is not particularly relevant to this situation. The second half is quite irrelevant.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Nothing "funky" about it. Different kinds of stripes and, if acceptable, checks - which wasn't actually stated in #17. Based on the presumption that he wants to look stylish, but is hemmed in by the conservative dress code. If he wants more details, he can ask here.

Balfour

Reaction score
I supplied 'funky', as I found your suggestion somewhat asinine (& revealing about 'image consultancy' ...
facepalm.gif
).

If the OP actually wants to learn about dressing well in a conservative environment (including, yes, some suggestions more suitable for the more rarified heights of conservative business dress), he could do a lot worse than reading Manton's list (and indeed that thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/...ollowing-things-you-are-not-well-dressed/0_50).

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Biased against a service you've never used? Great. Besides, clearly he's disinclined toward conservative business dress and feels pressured to dress more conservatively.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
Biased against a service you've never used? Great. Besides, clearly he's disinclined toward conservative business dress and feels pressured to dress more conservatively.
Not tried fortune tellers or astrologists either. Could be I'm missing out, but I'm cool with that.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some consultants might just push their own opinions, but legitimate image consulting is based on scientific principles, research, etc. - and importantly as pertains to this thread, actually listening to what someone wants and seeking more information from him.

mp1472

Reaction score
After losing tons of weight Ive been building my wardrope back up and can recommend

Neimen marcus last call
Zanella slacks (awesome quality for price)
Hickey freeman mainline suits sportcoats (need to know the difference of the model names)
Brioni zegna charvet ties
Variousbrand dress shirts
When they have the additional% off sales i cruise by and always kop a few good items on the cheap.
Luxire.com good value custom shirts
Some great deals on the forum also bought quite a few pieces ... look at belvest for sport coats amesome quality/price point

Once u find some brands you like theres some deals on flea bay!

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not tried fortune tellers or astrologists either.  Could be I'm missing out, but I'm cool with that.

Why are you being so ill mannered?

I got stopped in union square about a year ago and asked if I wanted a makeover by image consultants with funky spikey hair and tats, I had to laugh.

Balfour

Reaction score
^ A jocular response to the implication that because I hadn't tried image consultancy, my disdain for it was somehow to be questioned.

"You can't knock it until you've tried it" is really the hallmark of the Sixth Form Debating Society.

What prompted me to comment in the first place was that m.i.c. dismissed a rather helpful link to Manton's list as "irrelevant" and provided an asinine suggestion about varying dress shirts. Precisely what I would expect from image consultancy TBH.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got stopped in union square about a year ago and asked if I wanted a makeover by image consultants with funky spikey hair and tats, I had to laugh.

There's almost zero chance those people are trained image consultants, and shame on them if they are.

The argument is not "You can't knock it until you've tried it" - the argument is your perception of the industry is way off, which it wouldn't be if there was some past experience.

As usual, stupid arguments go on while the subject of the thread stays quiet. At least post #27 is well-meant and possibly helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads