1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New Job - Manhattan and wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NYliGuy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

AE is probably the best made shoe that is readily available. Of course AE doesn't compare to EG or JL. I would advise to stay away from brown clothing. Navy and various shades of gray...and you are good to go.

One last thing, don't wear Oxford style shoes such as Park Avenue with khaki's or Chino's. wear a derby style shoe with everything except a suit.

My best advice is to stop by a brooks brothers store and they will get you on the right track.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

It is asinine not to vary dress shirts.

3. NYliGuy

NYliGuy Well-Known Member

Purchased some shoes and belts. So far I have the following in my spur of the moment purchases to update my attire and invest in quality over quantity.
    BB Fitzgerald sport coat - Navy
    AE Park Avenues - black
    AE Lasalle - brown
    AE brown and black belt
    [edit] BB non Iron shirts. White and blue, one in each collar and colot, button down collar and Ansley collar [edit]
    J.Crew Bowery trousers - gray
    Banana Republic sport coat - light gray herringbone (arms long, need to get some alterations)

Have some other pants from express and banana republic in the meantime before I can invest in better quality trousers.

Any suggestions on good quality and value for buying several pairs of socks? Looking to just get gray and black socks of all the same brand to make my sock drawer easier to navigate:)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  4. mp1472

mp1472 Well-Known Member

o come on grey and black socks booOOOooooOOring check this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/72565/rock-your-socks-show-your-sock-shoe-pant-combos
    And how could you stand to wear br pants made out of various plastics ?? Get 100% wool dress slacks well worth the money and much more comfortable, they look nicer and breathe better than poly plastic pants.

Those zanella slacks I told you about are 295 retail I paid 93 bucks a piece for 3 pair a couple weeks ago. A steal for the fit/look/quality and there's tons and tons of socks there I think i'm paying like 7-8 bucks a pair for good quality socks.

anyway looks like you're on the right track so far, you cant go wrong adding a lighter tan sport coat in the summer months.

5. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

If you want to easily navigate, just get all navy and maroon.

6. NYliGuy

Haha, I agree boring on the socks. Like I said in the original post, I had always tied to dress for style fashion, although not high quality stuff. So I tended to wear colored socks, stripes and patterns and would get comments on socks, shirts, shoes as woo check out those shoes or woo check out that shirt ECt.

That's why I'm just trying to build a business casual attire, that is versatile and interhanabe with some key standards that are good quality and an investment.

Once I have a good foundation, ill certainly start to add some flamboyant to it via lapel pins, colorful socks and such, but for now I'm going for no tie, nice shirt and sport coat look

Thanks for all the help and recommendations, I hope I can find those zanella or zegna pants fr 95.

Thanks everyone

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  7. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

This i'm finding to be true. I'm in the construction industry, and the guy who doesn't wear carhartt to a business meeting is often the one who ends up leading the meeting, whether he's the owner or a subcontractor.

8. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

for "cheap" good quality dress socks, try the nordstrom house line.

9. mp1472

mp1472 Well-Known Member

+1

10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

If you are working in a khaki's and polo shirt setting, it doesn't take too much to look great without being a show-off. Rather than something fancy, it is often how you wear it.

1) Focus on a good fit, nothing too baggy or too tight. Not every brand or cut will work for you. You may need to find other brands and a basic alterations tailor to look your best.
    2) Keep your shoes shinned, your shirts and pants pressed.
    3) Don't wear a beatup, belt. (I see this all the time. It really detracts from a look)

If you follow the above, I bet you will be way ahead of your peers.

Over time I would encourage you to look for better quality wool trousers on sale in tan. At first glance they look like everyone else's khakis so you won't be showing off. But wool will retain a nice crease, have a better drape and look sharp all day. They will pair nicely with any navy blazer.

1 person likes this.
  11. NYliGuy

Picked up 4 black 4 gray nordstrom socks, $7.90 each

12. NYliGuy

I tried on the zanella Todd fit, nice fabric and seemed like nice pants. I just was not sure about the fit, I'm use to lower quality brands in a slim fit size. I'm fine moving to a non slim fit trouser but will I be disappointed with the Todd cut as being to generous of a fit?

I know I said I just tried them on, but I haven't established the variable cuts yet and don't har the opinion of trying on other fits

Pants are aprox $140 at last call neiman Marcus

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  13. White Lotus

White Lotus Well-Known Member

lol. Just dress like politicians.

[​IMG]