• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New cell phone: Style before content!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Great design on this. I wonder if it can be hacked to work on US networks...

Originally Posted by spertia
My favorite-looking cell phone is the Talby, designed by Marc Newson:

Talby.jpg

20060819_1c.jpg

Unfortunately it was made for the Japanese market and does not work in the U.S. I'm such a design junkie that I've considered picking one up anyway, "just to have."

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-fascinating thread update:

********If you care for interesting stories and/or dislike an anticlimax, please, don't read.**********

I chose sim only (no new phone, about half price minutes). Could not toss my beaten down w890i just yet. Also this is cheap, as am I.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Great design on this. I wonder if it can be hacked to work on US networks...

Japanese phones don't work in the US, period. Any phone designed for the Japanese market won't work with any other service except the one you bought it for. Protectionist business practices for the looose.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Japanese phones don't work in the US, period. Any phone designed for the Japanese market won't work with any other service except the one you bought it for. Protectionist business practices for the looose.

not true, some of the old Vodafone phones worked in the states and a few of the new (906 series) phones worked in the states via Hypersim. So it wasnt a simple unlock and not all would work, but some did.
Unless its AU. AU uses some super funky band and is impossible to use their phones on any other network.

Brian SD

Reaction score
^^ didn't know that. I'm pretty sure you can't use the NEC, Sharp, etc. phones for Softbank or DoCoMo either.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I meant Docomo when I said the 906 series. The P906i was a fairly hot export for phone junkies. AU gets all the really cool phones though, like the Sanyo Xacti Camcorder Phone that records in 720p, and all the super high quality Camera phones with decent size sensors and optical zoom

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love resurrected threads.

I have a T-mobile G1, which I don't particularly like. As the initial reviews said. It was a decent 1st try at an android phone but it wasn't ready for prime time.

I believe that T-mobile just went "cheap" with HTC when they had the phone designed and built. My main gripes are the form factor, the build quality, and the camera and video quality.

Specifically, the camera is 3.2 megapixel without autofocus and a flash. Video capability has been added but it's poor. Very important to me is screen size and resolution quality. Again the G1 is "OK", about a 6 out of 10. I would like a much better screen. Younger people are making me a texter so I like a physical keyboard which the G1 has. Touch screen capability is nice and I've gotten used to it though if I had to I guess I could live without it. I particularly don't like the trackball speed and effectiveness of the G1 nor the touch screen dragability. I love the android OP and the frequent updates and improvements to it.

To give you an idea of my feelings, I have many friends with BB Bolds, Apple 3gs, and Nokia E 71s which all seem superior to my G1 to me. But I don't need ( nor particularly like ) Windows Mobile 6. I do very much like the android system because I'm not part of a large group and for my simple purposes the integration with Google and Gmail is ideal. I suppose I could easily live with an 3G iphone but I don't want to leave T-mobile, since I'm a very long term customer and they treat me very well as to service and rate plans.

And yes I know I could use an iphone on T-mobile but I would loose 3G speed ( which I like and need ). T-mobile is the only carrier that has a 1700 MGHZ 3G network so that shuts out all competitor's phones and unfortunately even unlocked phones direct from the manufacturer. I believe T-mobile is working with some of the big makers, Nokia, Motorola, SE, etc. to make unlocked 3G 1700 MGHZ phones.

Right now T-mobile is about to issue it's newest and supposedly best android phone, the Motorola Click,look here. Anybody know anything of it and do you think I should be one of the first to get it?

Also, does anybody know of a phone that is android based, T-mobile 3G capable, and will be available soon? Which also would be of course a clear improvement over the G1. I never used to be this interested in phones but since my disappointment with the G1 I've had to learn quite a bit. I know I could go to GSM arena ( where I occasionally go ), but I love SF.

To the OP CDFS, I love this:

Yes, and of course the same goes for:

-Clothing: keep you warm and not-nude
-Houses: provide shelter out of the rain
-Cars: drive
-Art: covers damp spot on wall
-Grilfriend: uncovers damp spot in body

I want my phone to phone (tele).

Most of them do.

I laughed and agreed with you. If you can afford it, why not get exactly what you want.

So in a nutshell. Any opinions out there on the best phone for someone who wants an android based phone that will work with T-mobile's 3G system?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a whole slew of new android phones coming down the tubes soon, the Motorola Click or something is shaping up to be a decent looking phone with a slide out keyboard. If you want something with some serious balls I say look at the Acer A1. 1GHz Snapdragon processor, and a high res screen.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the market for a new phone at the moment, since I'm saving up for a motorcycle and accompanying gear, but if I were...
LG-Chocolate-BL40-3.jpg
lg-bl40-chocolate-2.jpg
Cnet.co.uk review

turboman808

Reaction score
I needed something good for business and working on the go. So got my first blackberry. I am very happy but it's not something pretty thats for sure. Can't imagine not having this kind of access and trying to do business.

Anyways I found a company named Piel Frama that makes some really nice leather cases. Getting one custom made for the blackberry without the back clip or snap strap so it will look like a wallet with to many things in it. But the leather and craftsmanship is really nice.

http://www.pielframa.com/indexeng.htm

Johncareter

Reaction score
It is a very tough to one cell phone.because now a days there are plenty of cell phones with latest technology.It is very difficult to choose the best one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads