• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need wedding tux advice

Shoedddude

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am interested in wearing a tux for my summer outdoor wedding coming up this July on lake Michigan in Wisconsin.
These are the vibes I'm going for...
https://www.insideweddings.com/insp...msmen/navy-blue-suit-with-blue-grey-bow-tie3/
3CA67D20-218C-45BF-9A0E-0F639C00A23D.png

...navy blue tux with shawl collar, colored bow tie, spread collar shirt with pleated bibs, basically just like this guy did. Only thing I may do differently is add tuxedo studs to the shirt but idk.

Not sure if this falls in the "classic menswear" category since there's some less traditional things going on here, so feel free to tell me to buzz off to the advice threads or something, but since it's a tuxedo I figure it does.

Anyway, how does one best go about procuring a tux like this? I'd prefer to rent this as I don't think I'd ever wear it again ...
Shop online? Go somewhere?
Almost all the jackets I have seen for purchase have a black lapel...I like that the one in the example pictured is true Navy and matches the jacket.

St1X

Reaction score
If you'll rent a tux it's not going to fit you the way it should. So I think it might be better to invest in your own made to measure tuxedo. Perhaps check Suitsupply or any other reputable American mtm company for what it's gonna cost you and if they can make something you want.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to rent a tuxedo like that. Rentals are almost always black and cheap.

And, why on earth would you want to go with a rental for something as important as your wedding? If you don't want to spend a lot of money, take the above advice and look at Suit Supply. You might even find something fairly close to what you want. And once you have a dinner jacket, you can find plenty of reasons to wear it.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your budget? Have you tried on some off the rack tuxes? MTM and online ordering can be a hassle.
If you decide to order online, get measured by a decent tailor. Without accurate measurements, you're wasting your money. Better yet, if you're going MTM, get fitted in person by the maker. It's your wedding, so don't skimp. If you wear something classic, you'll find all sorts of uses for it in the future.

Shoedddude

Reaction score
No I haven't tried anything on off the rack. Where would you suggest I try to do so?

Like off the rack at suit supply ? Off the rack at Mens wearhouse?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indochino is abysmal. Men's Wearhouse is very much the low end of the RTW market. If you have a Suit Supply near you, go there first.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about J.Crew's formalwear as a starting point? You can order a blue shawl collar tux from them and take it to a reputable tailor to customize the fit. That will be more predictable than MTO.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indochino is abysmal. Men's Wearhouse is very much the low end of the RTW market. If you have a Suit Supply near you, go there first.

Twenty years ago Men's Wearhouse had a very decent tuxedo rental operation
at least in the Bay Area. I was responsible for choosing a rental service for my
daughter's wedding party. Not for me, I wore my own tux.

Shoedddude

Reaction score
What about J.Crew's formalwear as a starting point? You can order a blue shawl collar tux from them and take it to a reputable tailor to customize the fit. That will be more predictable than MTO.
Anyone know of a reputable Tailor in the St Louis area? If not, Are Yelp/Google reviews good enough to go off of?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Online reviews are a decent starting point. In terms of fit, buy a tux that fits well in the shoulders. The rest can be tweaked pretty easily.

Have you tried on some tuxedoes at various shops? St Louis must have some nicer independent menswear shops. At the very least, trying on some RTW models will help you refine your sense of what you want.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuitSupply's Washington Tux and Havana Tux

Both of these have a style to the image posted above and relatively affordable in the grand scheme of things...if you do not have a SuitSupply brick and mortar near you I'd order a size or two and see how they fit. IIRC SuitSupply does free shipping and returns, so really no penalty here for trying out a couple of models and sizes.

If one works you can get it altered by a reputable tailor in your area. I would imagine this would come out to be about 1/2 as much as a "nice" rental, and you would be able to keep it. I found that once you have a tuxedo in the closet its a bit easier to find occasions to wear it

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
First of all, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Secondly, if you’ll permit, some friendly advice. You will be looking at these photos for a long, long time. So I would always recommend something relatively timeless. Shawl lapel is great, but maybe midnight blue rather than navy. And getting matching high quality grosgrain trimmings will be hard - much more likely to get high quality in black (especially if not bespoke). For the bow tie you will never regret black (and a matching cummerbund) but you will likely regret everything else at one moment or another. Above all pay attention to proportions and get a DJ that fits you well. Shop around for RTW if you don’t want to go for MTM (don’t rent; please). Maybe you are six foot two and whippet thin; but if not the proportions on this one will look very weird.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the wedding! But that combo in that photo looks immature and J.Crew circa 2010. I'm not sure how you'd feel looking back at the wedding photos 10 years down the line. If you want to wear a tuxedo, stick with the rules of black tie and it'll look good a hundred years from now.

P5351_1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads