1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Need help with turtleneck alteration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by poorsod, Jun 28, 2005.

1. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I have a 100% silk turtleneck that I want the armholes taken in because it is baggy at the armpits. Who can I take this to in NYC? A tailor?

2. stache

stache Well-Known Member

Because it's a knit, I would take it to someone that does ladies' alterations. Are the armholes too deep? Because they would have to take it apart and raise the shoulder line, in which case it would get shorter at the waist. Have you tried washing it in hot water to shrink it, or would that make the sleeves too short?

3. poorsod

The problem is that when I raise my arm, it looks like I have a wing or web under my armpit. I was hoping to reduce that effect.

I haven't thought about shrinking it because I don't know how to control the degree of shrinking. How do you control the shrinking? Do you have to dry it in a dryer or do you air dry?

4. stache

stache Well-Known Member

Only shrink it if you have some extra length in the sleeves. Try hot water first, air dry. If you want more shrinkage, wet it and then put it in the dryer.

5. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Kinda reminds me of this...

6. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

LOL Very good. This is why I like it when clients try to solve their legal problems without a lawyer first.

7. poorsod

Does this mean that nobody knows where to alter silk turtlenecks? Is it not possible?

8. j

j Well-Known Member

There is a place near me called "Alterations and Reweaving Center" in Seattle. If you get desparate, they can take apart and re-knit the sweater. However, what you want done may not be possible. I saw the lady in there with a stereo microscope working on a very fine cashmere turtleneck, so they are definitely qualified. Not cheap, though.