• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help for housing in NYC

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Depends where in Brooklyn you are. Most trains go from midtown/Financial District to Brooklyn no problem.

I can get from the West 70s to my friend's place in Carrol Gardens in about 30-40 min during the daytime and 45-1hr late at night.

Though this is accurate, I think it might be not be the easiest information for the OP to understand since he has not been to NYC (ie. it makes Brooklyn seem further than it is.)

If you move to Williamsburg, you are literally one stop from Manhattan. So.... think 5-10 minutes to Houston street or Chinatown. If you were working up in the West 70's and wanted to live somewhere young and cheap I'd head to Astoria in Queens since there is also a large community of young people there. I figure heading to one of these "cool" areas like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, or possibly Astoria is worthwhile if only because there is a much higher concentration of people your own age (and this means a lot of girls). Anyways.... I believe Socal was just making the point that Brooklyn is relatively close even for trips further into Manhattan, but I wanted to clarify.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Yes sorry that's right...we had to explain to him what NY, NY meant.
wink.gif
jk

What I was saying that to get from a random place on the UWS all the way down and over across Manhattan and into a random place in BK in not too bad of a time. A cab with traffic and stuff could take you just as long and cost a lot more than $2.

www.mta.info will give you some ideas about transport.

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
Though this is accurate, I think it might be not be the easiest information for the OP to understand since he has not been to NYC (ie. it makes Brooklyn seem further than it is.)

If you move to Williamsburg, you are literally one stop from Manhattan. So.... think 5-10 minutes to Houston street or Chinatown. If you were working up in the West 70's and wanted to live somewhere young and cheap I'd head to Astoria in Queens since there is also a large community of young people there. I figure heading to one of these "cool" areas like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, or possibly Astoria is worthwhile if only because there is a much higher concentration of people your own age (and this means a lot of girls). Anyways.... I believe Socal was just making the point that Brooklyn is relatively close even for trips further into Manhattan, but I wanted to clarify.

laugh.gif
Yea, what he said! But actually though I seem to have accidently hijacked this thread from vincent (the actual OP).

But thanks for the extra info. To be honest though, when I think of NY I like it more for the "business" side of things - Wall Street etc. and not so much for the social scene - clubbing etc. Although I'm studying to be a graphic designer - I tend to be attracted to the "business" lifestyle (nice restaurants, cafÃ
00a9.png
s etc.) - does that make sense?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
laugh.gif
Yea, what he said! But actually though I seem to have accidently hijacked this thread from vincent (the actual OP). But thanks for the extra info. To be honest though, when I think of NY I like it more for the "business" side of things - Wall Street etc. and not so much for the social scene - clubbing etc. Although I'm studying to be a graphic designer - I tend to be attracted to the "business" lifestyle (nice restaurants, cafÃ
00a9.png

No.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif
Yea, what he said! But actually though I seem to have accidently hijacked this thread from vincent (the actual OP).

But thanks for the extra info. To be honest though, when I think of NY I like it more for the "business" side of things - Wall Street etc. and not so much for the social scene - clubbing etc. Although I'm studying to be a graphic designer - I tend to be attracted to the "business" lifestyle (nice restaurants, cafÃ
00a9.png

Graphic designer? Dude...Brooklyn.

jkennett

Reaction score
laugh.gif

00a9.png

I noticed that you weren't the OP after I had posted that. Sorry Vincent. Anyways.... I think you have thing quite mixed up with categorizing nice restaurants and cafes in the "business" lifestyle. Those are obviously part of the social scene and one of the great benefits of living in a city like New York.

If you were planning on moving to NYC, I would first work in Sydney and get as much experience as possible. NY is a very competitive job market, and you'll have to be something special to get a good job in your field (ie. get working on that portfolio).

Anyways... Brooklyn seems like it would be the best place for you once you are ready to move. I'd suggest visiting the city on holidays, or perhaps trying to get an internship there through your school. You currently are planning things based on an idea of what you think things are, rather than reality. Good luck in any case.

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
I noticed that you weren't the OP after I had posted that. Sorry Vincent. Anyways.... I think you have thing quite mixed up with categorizing nice restaurants and cafes in the "business" lifestyle. Those are obviously part of the social scene and one of the great benefits of living in a city like New York.

If you were planning on moving to NYC, I would first work in Sydney and get as much experience as possible. NY is a very competitive job market, and you'll have to be something special to get a good job in your field (ie. get working on that portfolio).

Anyways... Brooklyn seems like it would be the best place for you once you are ready to move. I'd suggest visiting the city on holidays, or perhaps trying to get an internship there through your school. You currently are planning things based on an idea of what you think things are, rather than reality. Good luck in any case.

Cheers.

Ok I think I need to explain myself a bit better ... it's just that a few posts mentioned the city's/borough's with the nicest clubs/easiest place to pick up girls/casual sex etc. And that's fine and all (given that a typical 20 yr old would be all for that). And I was just noting that although 20, I think (and have been told) that I "act" too old for my age. i.e already planning for future financial success/stability etc. instead of being as spontaneous as most guys my age. So instead of clubs - I'd rather cafÃ
00a9.png
s, NICE pubs etc. I realise now that this too can be considered a "social scene" - just a different one.

But yea, I graduate at the end of this year '08 - and hope to work down under for atleast a few years before even considering a permanent move. And the plan is that I'll be working on creating a solid portfolio in that time. Yea here's the thing right - I was planning on a holiday to NY in Dec '08 (after graduating) - but realised I need a new computer - which is about $4,000
eek.gif
... so that sorta ruined that idea. Just seems that it keeps on getting delayed - been wanting to head up there for the past 2 years!

Curious though, why the definitive response as Brooklyn to be the home of a Graphic Designer?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers.

Ok I think I need to explain myself a bit better ... it's just that a few posts mentioned the city's/borough's with the nicest clubs/easiest place to pick up girls/casual sex etc. And that's fine and all (given that a typical 20 yr old would be all for that). And I was just noting that although 20, I think (and have been told) that I "act" too old for my age. i.e already planning for future financial success/stability etc. instead of being as spontaneous as most guys my age. So instead of clubs - I'd rather cafÃ
00a9.png
s, NICE pubs etc. I realise now that this too can be considered a "social scene" - just a different one.

But yea, I graduate at the end of this year '08 - and hope to work down under for atleast a few years before even considering a permanent move. And the plan is that I'll be working on creating a solid portfolio in that time. Yea here's the thing right - I was planning on a holiday to NY in Dec '08 (after graduating) - but realised I need a new computer - which is about $4,000
eek.gif
... so that sorta ruined that idea. Just seems that it keeps on getting delayed - been wanting to head up there for the past 2 years!

Curious though, why the definitive response as Brooklyn to be the home of a Graphic Designer?

In this city, the 'business lifestyle' kind of places to which you refer are going to be way overpriced, generic-corporate soulless restaurants and chain retail outlets with flashy names. If you're going to be a graphic designer, Brooklyn is where a vast majority of them live, partially because if you want to work at home, you'll appreciate the added space for working (computer/printer/scanner, all that stuff). What you pay in Brooklyn gets you more than if you pay the same here in Manhattan (unless it's Washington Heights/Inwood). Actually, if you really think you're more of an older, responsible man, I'd recommend moving up to Inwood--lots of those up there.

As far as the nice things you say you want, those ARE the young people things in the city, esp. Brooklyn. Unless you're near NYU or Columbia, you're not going to find the kind of 'youthful' places I think you're imagining--places like those in college towns, for example. Young people here are usually young, employed artsy types who like their culture available and reasonably-priced--Brooklyn has the pubs, cafes and restaurants you're looking for, in far more manageable and affordable varieties, than Manhattan. (I live in Manhattan, but ALL of my friends are in Brooklyn, one or two in Queens).

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gawd, I feel for you guys.... It sounds a hell of a lot like London where 500 pounds a week (roughly USD 1,000) is the lowest thing you see in the estate agents windows. And those are gone before you can even get your phone out of your pocket.

Tonight I paid 9 pounds ($18) for a hamburger, plus 3 ($6) for fries, and 3 ($6) for a beer. Then we went out.... A proper meal is much much more.

Someone mentioned a $25 cab ride. My buddy just hopped in an unlicenced cab which wanted 35 pounds ($70), and got bargained down to 20 (40 dollars). It was a deal.... While black cabs might be a better idea, try catching one at this time of night

K

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
In this city, the 'business lifestyle' kind of places to which you refer are going to be way overpriced, generic-corporate soulless restaurants and chain retail outlets with flashy names. If you're going to be a graphic designer, Brooklyn is where a vast majority of them live, partially because if you want to work at home, you'll appreciate the added space for working (computer/printer/scanner, all that stuff). What you pay in Brooklyn gets you more than if you pay the same here in Manhattan (unless it's Washington Heights/Inwood). Actually, if you really think you're more of an older, responsible man, I'd recommend moving up to Inwood--lots of those up there.

As far as the nice things you say you want, those ARE the young people things in the city, esp. Brooklyn. Unless you're near NYU or Columbia, you're not going to find the kind of 'youthful' places I think you're imagining--places like those in college towns, for example. Young people here are usually young, employed artsy types who like their culture available and reasonably-priced--Brooklyn has the pubs, cafes and restaurants you're looking for, in far more manageable and affordable varieties, than Manhattan. (I live in Manhattan, but ALL of my friends are in Brooklyn, one or two in Queens).

It seems the cultural differences between the US and down under - is what had me confused with regards to specific social scenes. But with each post I read it seems that Brooklyn is definitely the way to go - now just need the $$$
tounge.gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
gawd, I feel for you guys.... It sounds a hell of a lot like London where 500 pounds a week (roughly USD 1,000) is the lowest thing you see in the estate agents windows. And those are gone before you can even get your phone out of your pocket. Tonight I paid 9 pounds ($18) for a hamburger, plus 3 ($6) for fries, and 3 ($6) for a beer. Then we went out.... A proper meal is much much more. Someone mentioned a $25 cab ride. My buddy just hopped in an unlicenced cab which wanted 35 pounds ($70), and got bargained down to 20 (40 dollars). It was a deal.... While black cabs might be a better idea, try catching one at this time of night K
Been to London, it's way worse there. As a good friend of mine put it, in NYC, you might go out for a nice dinner, get a good meal, drinks and have a good time, drop 100 bucks; in London, you go out, spend the same amount and come home hungry and wondering what the hell you got for your cash. The exchange rate hurts there, yes, but taking that into account, prices are still godawful there.
plain.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Presto, You should look into Bedford Stuyvesant. Very artsy, full of grand old restaurants, extremely ritzy area.
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads