• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy suit, white shirt, black tie?

Pace10

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm in a bit of a crisis as I'm going to a wedding this Saturday and was planning on wearing a black suit, black shoes & belt, white shirt and black tie. Classic and easy. Thing is that I've forgotten to send my black suit to the cleaners so I've got to wear the next best thing, a dark navy blue suit. Will it be ok to match this navy blue suit with the same shirt, shoes and tie? Navy suit and white shirt is of course no problem, but does this go well with a black tie? I think it does personally, but maybe I'm blinded by making this work so I don't need to think any more about this. Do you guys think it would go better with a blue tie? And the black shoes and belt is ok?

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi.

I'm in a bit of a crisis as I'm going to a wedding this Saturday and was [COLOR=FF00AA]planning on wearing a black suit, black shoes & belt, white shirt and black tie. Classic and easy. [/COLOR]Thing is that I've forgotten to send my black suit to the cleaners so I've got to wear the next best thing, a dark navy blue suit. [COLOR=FF00AA]Will it be ok to match this navy blue suit with the same shirt, shoes and tie? [/COLOR]Navy suit and white shirt is of course no problem, but does this go well with a black tie? I think it does personally, but maybe I'm blinded by making this work so I don't need to think any more about this. Do you guys think it would go better with a blue tie? And the black shoes and belt is ok?

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

A) That is not classic or easy.
B) I would wear a different tie.

Pace10

Reaction score
Why would you not consider this classic? I'm probably a noob compared to many of you guys online here, but at least my impression is that where I'm from (Norway), this is the typical attire for finer occations like weddings or NYE.

Any tips for tie color? I'd prefer keeping it darkish, so not red etc.

Last edited:

gsgleason

Reaction score

Why would you not consider this classic? I'm probably a noob compared to many of you guys online here, but at least my impression is that where I'm from (Norway), this is the typical attire for finer occations like weddings or NYE.

Any tips for tie color? I'd prefer keeping it darkish, so not red etc.

In general they say to avoid black suits unless it's a funeral.

A navy suit with black belt/shoes is good. You can get away with almost any color tie with that setup. Get something colorful. How about lavender?

Check out the conservative business dress WAYWRN thread for inspiration as it sounds like you prefer conservative dress.

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score
NAVY SUIT:
White shirt - yes
Black shoes & belt - yes
Black tie - depends, on the pattern and the suit cloth. It can work but it can go completely wrong too

Personally with a plain white shirt, I would suggest a patterned navy tie if the suit is plain

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a black/white Glen plaid tie, like this:

This is a classic wedding tie, and will go perfectly with your navy suit, white shirt, and black shoes.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid and shiny black satin tie = no
Most else textures, weaves and patterns = sure

I've seen some pretty good navy suit/white shirt/black grenadine or knit tie combos.

Also depends on the navy/black contrast. Is it "True" navy that is almost black, or a brighter shade?
A light blue shirt could also make that combo more interesting.

edit: A couple of pics.

Last edited:

Pace10

Reaction score
Saturday, driving down tomorrow so if I'm gonna buy anything I would need to do it on the way down. Thinking of using a blue tie with red diagonal stripes. Don't know about the pocket square yet though. White? I think that looks cleanest. Or something that goes with the red stripes in the tie?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Navy suit is better than black. I would avoid a black tie at a wedding, but otherwise black shoes, navy suit, white shirt and black tie is a classic combination (you could do a lot worse, even at a wedding). The glen plaid suggestion is good and if you have any tasteful ties in the silver / grey range, they'd work in a pinch. Navy suit, white shirt and silver / grey tie is incredibly elegant. Something colorful and festive like pink or lilac would be better than black for this occasion IMO.

I'd prefer a black tie to the striped tie you described if it's a choice between those. For pocket square, simple white is best.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Saturday, driving down tomorrow so if I'm gonna buy anything I would need to do it on the way down. Thinking of using a blue tie with red diagonal stripes. Don't know about the pocket square yet though. White? I think that looks cleanest. Or something that goes with the red stripes in the tie?

Whatever you chose, be sure to post photos so we can either commend you or silently shake our heads.

Last edited:

Pace10

Reaction score
Sorry for using a bit of time to get back to you guys. I just got a picture sent over by a friend from the wedding so I just cut out a small part of it. I went with a dark blue tie with small white stars/dots. I don't know nearly as much as you guys about things like this but for me at least it looked ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads