• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new roommate

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Thanks for the definition. I also came across its etymology:

rube:
1896, reub, from shortened form of masc. proper name Reuben (q.v.), which is attested from 1804 as a conventional type of name for a country man.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be an adjustment issue, and it could be that he just doesn't like the food you're giving him. Generally, I'd recommend avoiding that canned food if you can. It's much higher in calories and it's more difficult to clean if you happen to be saddled with a puker (one of our cats throws up frequently and has done so all her life - it's simply lovely).

If he won't eat the straight dry, try some of the moist stuff that comes in pouches. Also, experiment with a few different brands at first until you hit upon one that he likes. Once you do, I recommend sticking with it. Unlike people, cats don't generally demand a lot of variety. Also, my understanding is that constantly changing their food can actually lead to digestive issues.

Bottomline - I've never known a cat to intentionally starve himself. He'll eat when he's hungry.

Edit: I just realized that I gave basically the same advice as ddml. Thus, like many of my posts, the above is most likely irrelevant.

trogdor

Reaction score
If he's off his food for more than a week, get his teeth checked. To follow on from JBZ, the only time I've known a cat to starve itself was when it had a bad tooth and eating was too painful.

If you think he sheds a lot now, wait 'til spring! Will he be an indoor cat, or an outdoor cat?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He'll be an indoor cat; if I let him outside in my neighborhood he'll end up in someone's crockpot.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
Wait, you know hockey?

Neat.

I used to teach ESL to hockey players from the Czech republic, Russia, etc, so I learnt a thing or two and was given a great many free tickets.
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trogdor
+1. Cats own. Time to get going with the "invisible X" pictures now, DR...
More, please.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
More, please.
Have you seen the "Cats in ur stuff" site?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads