• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Considered Style

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The few times I've received comments on my clothes, it's from people who are interested in clothes. Occasionally, I'll get the kind "you look nice today." But if the conversation is more specific, it's usually from someone interested in clothes. This is independent of their economic background.
I've posted this before: the few compliments I have received on my wardrobe are overwhelmingly from African-American men, often on the older side.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted this before: the few compliments I have received on my wardrobe are overwhelmingly from African-American men, often on the older side.
Every single time I arrive or leave FLL airport the (usually young) Black lads doing baggage etc on the apron will have something positive to say about my gear. (It’s not the same lads each time either!)

dirtbag-delux

Reaction score
Useless without pics!
I've looked through some photos and I have very few of myself. But here is one. It is on the dirtbag end of the spectrum. By that I mean athletic wear.

I am wearing mostly Patagonia and Black Diamond. I get a more consistent fit from Black Diamond. The boots are La Sportiva. Some call La Sportiva narrow, but if I get them wide enough there is plenty of toe space.

The cool thing about this day was that I met Gerry Roach at the trailhead. What a gift to meet a personal hero.

I will take a workwear photo the next time I'm in the onion patch. The next time I'm near a mirror I'll take a dressed up photo.

Colin Haley has an exceptional essay on what used to be called an action suite. Follow the links to Colin Haley at Patagonia, and Gerry Roach at his website.

turtleasension.jpeg

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I haven't experienced this kind of exotification of CM clothing in economically challenged neighborhoods. I've walked through poor neighborhoods both in the US and abroad. I'm sometimes in CM clothing. No one notices and I go about my day.

I grew up in a low-income Vietnamese community and still like to go eat in such communities.

This is all getting a bit off track and I apologize for the derail, but I didn't mean places like that. The fact that you go there for food means that there are businesses there, with employed people being productive. I meant places where there's zero hope at all, where things like drugs and social and economic failure are the norm. My job has given me the chance to (accidentally) come across places like this both in the US and elsewhere and I've found that if it looks like you have money, people will come up to you, sometimes in persistent groups, and ask for it. It's not exotification of someone's clothes, just the practical consideration that someone with expensive-looking clothes has cash to spare. I've never felt like I was in danger, but it's still a situation to be avoided if possible. Little do they know that I'm a SF'er: Brioni on Teh 'Bay, Drake's on sale, arguing with an HK baotau tailor to CMT my piece of Fox Flannel, and Spier & Mackay w/ referral code for all the rest, baby. Ha! Besides, even if you are actually loaded, in the end you won't be able to help anyone much anyway unless your suit lets you implement sweeping social changes magically on the spot, so why set up a no-win scenario? This happened a few times before I learned my lesson; now whenever I travel to someplace unfamiliar, I err on the side of looking not worth talking to.

I've never been to Haiti or the favelas of Brazil, but I'd be willing to bet that the people there would enjoy seeing someone wearing a bespoke Saville Row suit, etc.

I haven't been there either but these examples would be exactly the places where I'd try to keep my head down, just go about my business, and avoid looking like an 'other.' Unlike my previous experiences, which mostly come in bad areas that are nonetheless located in ostensibly wealthy-ish cities with all the rules and norms that come with them, your examples seem legitimately dangerous for an outsider who looks like their family and friends might be able to afford a ransom payment, and lord knows if I were in that situation, my family would be like, "Heh. Nah **** that guy."

Relevant:

If you're this cool though, then go for it.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't experienced this kind of exotification of CM clothing in economically challenged neighborhoods.
The Sapeurs of the Congo come to mind. The force burns brightly in them.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've looked through some photos and I have very few of myself. But here is one. It is on the dirtbag end of the spectrum. By that I mean athletic wear.

I am wearing mostly Patagonia and Black Diamond. I get a more consistent fit from Black Diamond. The boots are La Sportiva. Some call La Sportiva narrow, but if I get them wide enough there is plenty of toe space.

The cool thing about this day was that I met Gerry Roach at the trailhead. What a gift to meet a personal hero.

I will take a workwear photo the next time I'm in the onion patch. The next time I'm near a mirror I'll take a dressed up photo.

Colin Haley has an exceptional essay on what used to be called an action suite. Follow the links to Colin Haley at Patagonia, and Gerry Roach at his website.

View attachment 1602441
I think I may have the same La Sportiva's that you do. They are, or should be, the SF approved high mountain boots. You can't deny the North Italian genius with leather.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't scream "look at me", I ain't wearin' it! ?

I'm very flattered to be included in such a very short list. I'm not sure I could enumerate my approach to dressing in quite such the succinct manner of the OP. Here are a few common themes of mine, though, that have coalesced over the years:

No cuffs (turn ups) on trousers. Ever
When worn with a tie, shirts should be plain white or light blue​
When worn with a tie, a shirt should have french cuffs​
Don't be afraid of color​
What you wear should make you happy (corollary: clothes should be fun)​
Wear a dinner jacket as often as possible​

On short notice, that's the best I can do, I'm afraid.
It may be that UrbanComposition and AnAcuteStyle are a little closer than you are to the mainstream on SF. Well, no, let’s face it, they are a lot closer to the mainstream. I have always admired your approach though, as a lodestar of pure, totally uncompromised, CM style. The fact that you live SF/CM large in the inhospitable wilds of Silicon Valley is even more impressive, as I have also experienced the sartorially challenging task of moving from corporate/consulting environments to a stint in tech.

Your themes have the concise clarity I have come to expect from you. French Cuffs might be a push for the OP in New Mexico though.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever wear a suit while walking through an economically challenged neighborhood, the kind where folks can no longer afford even little luxuries like pride and shame? You'll find that CM is quite the attractive garment (in the most literal and awkward sense) then.
I lived in some affluent, some rapidly changing, and some very poor neighborhoods in Chicago. I commuted in a suit, often on public transportation, in each. I don’t recall encountering any serious difficulties because of the suit. There were periodic positive glances, questions, and comments on my clothes though.

My own experience has been that environmental “fit” was more important than dress. If someone walked down the street in a way that indicated that they knew and were comfortable in the neighborhood, they usually did OK, regardless of what they wore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads