1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Laces come apart sometimes. It's not worth it.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Ended up spending 450 on gear today.

Unfortunately, I have to buy boots with laces since none of the zip ups fit me. Small calves coupled with a small instep makes me really hard to fit. Happens with dress boots too. I've been looking for chelseas forever.

Shop recommended sneaker shoes that came above the ankles and were reinforced with pads in there. I might make a trip to Boston or NH tomorrow to try on Rev' it stuff since those are the two closest stores that stock it. I like the look of those boots a lot and I'd actually get more wear out of them. The ones I got are pretty cool. They're hi-tops so not sneakers and like I said they have ankle protection.
    These are the shoes:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-vice-wp-riding-shoes
    Reviews look mixed. Blegh.

This is the jacket I got. I loved the cut and didn't notice the logo on the back, but I think I'm okay with supporting the brand! It'll look hilarious on my Suzuki though.
    http://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/jacket/id-0101K/Ace_Cafe_Jacket_2

Elbow and shoulder pads on the jacket AND they threw in a back insert they had sitting around.

I also bought gloves with knuckle protection etc.

And finally.... I bought the bike today, got it insured (208 for the year?), and went to the RMV and got it registered and the title transferred. I'll get my friend to pick it up on Saturday and I'll get used to the controls at a parking lot before riding it out on the street.

Re: Insurance, what do you recommend. 208 isn't bad but is higher than I expected. I got halfway between basic and 'max' protection and no insurance to damage on my bike outside of having it hit by an uninsured motorist. I'm putting frame sliders on it asap though. Thoughts?

(I'm stupid excited!)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

What shoe size are you?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  4. ridethecliche

About an 8-8.5 in most brands. Why do you ask?

5. ridethecliche

What about riding in red wing boots?

Theres a Store close to me and they have moto boots.

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Congrats @ridethecliche

Welcome to the sickness - where we convince ourselves saving money on gas will be a boon of pragmatism... in order to justify spending all our disposable income on upgrades and gear that is effective and looks cool (for cheap, you get one or the other). You may soon become aware of this thing Hunter Thompson referred to as the "edge:" that mythical point where you can still drink of sweeeet, sweet adrenaline without having exceeded your (and the bike's) abilities, resulting in fiery doom. But the more you push it, the farther toward the edge that sweeeet adrenaline sits.

I recommend staying far away from the edge. It makes you do strange things, like drive in the wrong lane much too fast, or see how close to red line you can get in sixth, or split lanes instead of slowing down. Bad news.

Do some parking lot drills once in a while. Cut tennis balls in half for markers and practice smooth throttle through tight turns, short stops (understand your braking potential), and zig zags.

Join a forum and read about bike maintenance and safety.

Watch crash videos and learn what they did wrong.

Stay away from Boston during morning and evening rush hour.

Drive like a p**sy for your first year and keep highway travel to a minimum. You've got all the time in the world to get better, but it can all end in an instant if you ride beyond your ability.

Don't stress too much about gear. In a year you're going to want to buy all new stuff anyway. Number one thing to do is get yourself a proper helmet. You don't want to fuck with your noggin. Beyond that, just make sure to always wear proper armor.

I recommend Arai or Shoei. Your head shape will fit one or the other better, and that's how you decide (riders talk about having an "Arai Head" or a "Shoei Head.") Personally, I have an Arai Vector 2 that I bought after a year with some shitty HJC. It's like moving from a Honda Civic to an Audi A4. Better air flow where it counts, legendary protection, lower road noise, a slot for your sunglasses, better upgradable shields, more rain resistance... A good helmet drastically improves safety and ride enjoyment.

Shoes are the second most important piece of gear (or, arguably, spine protection), because you've got a lot of tiny bones in your foot and feet can get crushed easily in a wreck. You want a solid shank underfoot and slide plates on the exterior of the ankle at minimum. Better is a full shank up the shin and resistance to twisting forces at the ankle.

For gloves, you want abrasion resistant padding on the palms and wrist exterior at minimum. Knuckle protection is more important if you offroad, but knuckles are a great place for air vents. Since you're in new england, buy two pairs of gloves. One for warm weather and one for cold. If your hands get chilly in those autumn evenings - or worse - cold and wet, it reduces your reaction time at the hand controls and makes for a miserable ride. There are also convertible gloves that have a gore-tex lined chamber and a perforated leather palm chamber. That's what I have and they take me through all seasons. Then I have some stupid cutoff-finger gloves for running to the store on summer days.

As for insurance, you really aught to get comprehensive collision on your bike. Last season I did about $2k damage to my bike and got it all fixed for the $500 deductable.

If you want to do some distance rides, check out Kriega gear. It's my favorite. And GIVI, if you're into tank/tail bags.

1 person likes this.
  7. ridethecliche

Hey BH!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have a bit of experience riding, but I'm hyper safety conscious especially because I've seen a lot of what can happen if one is overconfident. I used to work in an ortho spine clinic, so yeah.

I already have a good helmet from the seller. She's incredibly meticulous about gear and maintenance and I'll let you guys know what it is when I pick the bike up this weekend.

Regarding gloves: The bike has hand warmers so I'm good for 'winter' gloves. The bike will likely be garaged most of the time anyway. I got some solid gloves with knuckle protection as well. I think they'll be great in cooler weather with the hand warmers.

Jacket: The jacket I bought (linked in last post) has shoulder and elbow armor and now has a spine insert. So woo!!!

Shoes: This the area I'm having issues with. Shoes with zips and pull ons don't fit me well. I wanted to get a more 'casual' looking boot that did have protection as well. Which is why I was looking at Rev' it.

I'm uncertain about the insurance aspect as I paid 3500 for the bike with tax. If it costs 600 a year for me to insure it... Then... Yeah. If it was a daily driver then I might have done that but I'll be riding only a few hours a week at the most. The other option is to go for way more expensive insurance and then cut down and get a refund when it's garaged in the winter.

8. Cool The Kid

Yea good post BH. You are very right about the edge. I find myself leaning further and further on the street. I really need to just suck it up, get a suit and go do some track days. That is another thing I would recommend too, even after just a few months. There is a ton of value in knowing how you and your bike interact and respond at your collective limits, as well as developing the instincts and reflexes that can save your ass in an emergency.

*EDIT* I would still get some thicker gloves. I have Cortech Scarabs and I damn near get frostbite once the temps get below 50, at least on the highway. I think those gloves WITH heated grips would do the trick. They are no bueno alone.

9. BostonHedonist

Yeah I've been meaning to go to a track day too. Sucks though, my riding season is only one month this year since I moved to England for a few years. Keeping my bike with my brother in New Hampshire (I refuse to sell it). Next time I'll be back here is december =(.

For shoes/boots, just go to every moto shop you can find and try on everything. Engage the sales staff. You'll find something that works. My two local shops that I go to for gear are Riverside Motorsports and Greater Boston Motorsports in Arlington.

1 person likes this.
  10. ridethecliche

So what do you guys think I should do? I might be able to get to a shop again either this weekend or next week. Should I buy better boots and wear timbs till then or just start out with the cortech sneaker shoe things and get something better in the future?

I'm going to boston for a wedding in 2 weeks and I'll likely be able to check out both the shops that @BostonHedonist mentioned at that time. Most of my riding till then is probably going to be done on local roads and in a parking lot till that time point. The cortech shoe I bought looked decent, but I don't think they're what I'm after.

While I might want different gear in the future, I don't want to spend money on something that's useless. It sounds like you guys are saying that those shoes are totally meh. Would red wings be better till I find something that works well for me?

11. BostonHedonist

Red wings aren't riding boots. I mean yeah, they're heavy leather boots. Leather will protect you in a slide. But feet don't take slide damage as much as your hips, arms and back. Feet usually take twisting/crushing damage. Like I said, don't buy footwear for the purpose of riding that doesn't at least have a solid under-foot sole shank (which protects against crushing). Some armor to mitigate twist would be optimal but my light riding shoes don't have as much protection for that.

I have two pairs of riding footwear. My tooling-around-town reinforced high-tops and my best-in-class daytona touring boots for longer rides.

As soon as possible I'd go riding boot shopping. Until then, do you have any sturdy leather boots currently? Timbs you said? They're better than nothing and it'll probably be okay short-term if you're taking it easy.

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Just as a counterpoint...It is not like the world is going to end if you ride in a pair of super hardy leather boots. Lots of folks out there recommend heavy boots as a fair compromise.

Especially if you are taking it easy in your early ownership...I'd rather have a real armored jacket and pants with some sort of enhanced protection long before getting rid of some redwings as riding boots.

13. ridethecliche

Yeah I currently have timbs. I tried almost all the boots on in the store where I bought the triumph jacket and these were the only ones that fit me. I bought them, but can probably return.

These are them. Like I said earlier, they have ankle and heel reinforcing and the crash pads there for stability and abrasion protection. They go about as high if not higher than chuck taylors.

[​IMG]

If you think these are good basic boots for starting out, I'd be okay sticking with them since I'm sure I'll use them for shorter rides around town if/when I get better boots that work for me. They're about 110 so it's not terrible. I'm on a student budget now so I don't want to spend money without reason, but I get that there's no one boot that works for everything.

Here's a review I found: https://rideapart.com/articles/cortech-vice-wp-shoe-review

And here's what revzilla says: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-vice-wp-riding-shoes

They're alright. I honestly sorta wanted better looking leather boots. These look pretty decent and I doubt they'd look out of place with jeans and a leather jacket. The rev it boots just looked so much better but no one stocks them. I can also order 2 pairs of them from revzilla and return the ones that don't fit and use my timbs till then.

Already have a solid helmet, leather jacket with armor, thick jeans and riding pants.

14. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Re: your helmet, did you say that you got it from the bike's owner?

If so, toss it.

Go get yourself fitted properly for a new helmet. Doesn't have to be pricey. Icon makes really good ones for decent prices.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. Cool The Kid

Dude get good boots. I was riding in my Wolverine 1Ks and came across a plastic sheet leading up to a stop light. Bike lowsided violently and landed on my foot. Broke it. Def would not have happened with a legit motorcycle boot. U can get a decent pair for like $200, it's definitely worth it. Dont skimp on gear

16. BostonHedonist

Yeah. See? Crushing force.

BTW @Cool The Kid, it's because of you I'm always looking out for plastic sheets on the freeway.

17. Cool The Kid

I think that was a Harlem exclusive lol.

18. BostonHedonist

Hey I never asked. Did they have to cut off the 1K from that foot?

19. ridethecliche

I understand why you're saying that, but I'm not worried about it given the owner on this one.

Helmet is this guy by HJC: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-is-max-bt-bluetooth-helmet

Also, she gave me a pair of moto boots that should work till I find something better. I might actually rebuy the same ones she gave me because they're pretty awesome.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    2 people like this.
  20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I think there is a Corbin seat for the sv650 that is supposed to be way comfier and about an inch taller.