• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, last night I watched an episode for the first time, in which RM was a racing driver.  Perhaps he is in all the programmes?

Anyway, I guess time hasn't been kind to the programme but he looked to me like the sort of guy we would have called a 'Quiff'.  Anyone else ever use that excellent appellation for people that looked like that?:D

Here, a "quiff" is a kind of haircut. "Parlour/parlor" is your living room/sitting room, pronounced "PAHH-lah". Greebos are greasers, right?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always thought "greebo" was a festival going Ned's Atomic Dustbin fan from the late 80s-early 90s? Kind of a short lived scene from the mid-lands? Or maybe Greedo from Star Wars younger brother (terrible I know
1f923.png
)
I could be totally off base though..
1f913.png

Edit*
Just checked Wikipedia and it looks like we're both correct
1f44d-1f3fc.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grebo_music

I didn't know the Ned's Atomic Dustbin connection. A buddy of mine who is a British ex-pat from Tidewell Morris(next to Macclesfield) has/had? a band called Big Bad Bollocks. He was a young skinhead in the very early '70s and his lyrics speak of, for example, "Greebos, skinheads, and teds", or fighting with "...the greebos at the spa...".

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, greebo meant anything from a Hells Angels/Outlaws biker to just any heavy metal fan in denim and leather. Seemed to be a newer word for rocker. The 'grebo music' thing is very secondary or maybe even ironic, PWEI hung around a biker pub I think. I would think of that lot as being crustie not grebo.

Might be of interest, but by the early 80s 'the rockers' had disappeared as our natural enemy. Bikers were typically 10 years older than us and heavy metal fans were too pathetic

Last edited:

Sean Carlson

Reaction score
Yep, greebo meant anything from a Hells Angels/Outlaws biker to just any heavy metal fan in denim and leather. Seemed to be a newer word for rocker. The 'grebo music' thing is very secondary or maybe even ironic, PWEI hung around a biker pub I think. I would think of that lot as being crustie not grebo.

Might be of interest, but by the early 80s 'the rockers' had disappeared as our natural enemy. Bikers were typically 10 years older than us and heavy metal fans were too pathetic"

"The devil is a greebo and he rides a motorbike"

Bela Kun

Reaction score
A quick report from the frontline.

Seen in Leytonstone, East London: bloke with turn up jeans, red socks, loafers, Brutus check shirt, wine tank top, crop... and a massive ginger hipster beard and Morrissey specs.

Seen on the 29 bus circa Camden Town: hipster with Ben Sherman, turnup jeans, black DMs, brown belt and red braces.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seen in Leytonstone, East London: bloke with turn up jeans, red socks, loafers, Brutus check shirt, wine tank top, crop... and a massive ginger hipster beard and Morrissey specs.

Seen on the 29 bus circa Camden Town: hipster with Ben Sherman, turnup jeans, black DMs, brown belt and red braces.

Both very strong looks
1f602.png

Fret not though, this too shall soon pass.

yankmod

Reaction score

Sounds a Fright.

yankmod

Reaction score
There are so many kids in my city wearing what basically equates to "The Look" that I don't even notice any longer. Skinny jeans, DMs (usually horrifically unlaced), flight jacket, braces are seen on, well I guess everyone under 25 here. It's an especially popular look with young Asian Americans as the store Uniqlo sells cheap and basic versions of every aspect of our thing for under $50.
As Botolph wisely stated "this too shall pass"
Got a Pair of Charcoal wool slacks from Uniqlo $9.90.Slim Fit,Flat front, slant pockets,two back pockets with buttons (not a huge fan of buttons on pants pockets).XS is Too small for me at that store (I'm 5-7 130 lbs) which wasn't a surprise.A Few nicely done items.They got Chinos for the Spring.

Sean Carlson

Reaction score
Came across this from another friend... Quite a historical image at Hyde Park in 69. It's suppose to be at the Rolling Stones free gig. There's 2 trotters in the back...

Thought a lot would like to see this especially MOM...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics