• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the music was Top Rank...

I'm not saying the music was bad - far from it. But there is a whole world of difference between 'period' music and 'enthusiast' music, hence the comparison to Northern Soul.

and some really Sharp dressers there including several Italians who had "The look " bang on

Again, not saying there weren't some nicely-dressed people there, but 'the devil is in the detail' however.

For example - lots of Harringtons, but no one with the collar raised.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No Weegies in Weejuns then ?

After a while I couldn't see anyone's feet, and I certainly couldn't hear anyone's accent! ;)

It was a great way to spend an afternoon, and I'l certainly go again. I'll pick a seat further from a speaker, though!

Last edited:

roytonboy

Reaction score
Okay, the Windrush event has been and gone. I was there for the afternoon session. Observations.

As always, brilliant to be with Bob and Suzie! Briefly made the acquaintance of a few other people. Bob grilled me about 'original' era details, of course.

Conversation was impossible.

It was a bit strange to see a room full of forty-somethings, dressed roughly how I used to dress when I was 18 but not quite. It was good to notice that most of the blokes' Levis were of roughly the length I would have worn them, i.e. swinging, but not up round their shins. Hardly anyone in a jacket, let alone a suit. Hardly anyone in shoes, lots of shiny ox-bloods.

The atmosphere was really friendly, whereas back in the day it would have been a bit edgy to say the least. Lots of people shook hands; back in the day you would have got a nod and an "Orright?", but often not even a smile.

The music was... um... well, I put it this way: it was the skinhead reggae equivalent of Northern Soul, by which I mean it was obscure, the stuff of enthusiasts and record collectors. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it was another marked difference with the culture of 1969. It was impossible to sit still to it; in fact Suzie remarked that if I didn't stop rocking backwards and forwards I would get sectioned.

M-O-M, that brought back some memories! I think we can all be a bit guilty of looking back with rose tinted glasses at how great those times were but in reality you often had to have your wits about you on a night out (and a Saturday afternoon). I'm not known for smiling much and in retrospect it's probably a throwback to those days. Of course, I'm not saying they weren't good times......

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Okay, the Windrush event has been and gone. I was there for the afternoon session. Observations.

As always, brilliant to be with Bob and Suzie! Briefly made the acquaintance of a few other people. Bob grilled me about 'original' era details, of course.

Conversation was impossible.

It was a bit strange to see a room full of forty-somethings, dressed roughly how I used to dress when I was 18 but not quite. It was good to notice that most of the blokes' Levis were of roughly the length I would have worn them, i.e. swinging, but not up round their shins. Hardly anyone in a jacket, let alone a suit. Hardly anyone in shoes, lots of shiny ox-bloods.

The atmosphere was really friendly, whereas back in the day it would have been a bit edgy to say the least. Lots of people shook hands; back in the day you would have got a nod and an "Orright?", but often not even a smile.

The music was... um... well, I put it this way: it was the skinhead reggae equivalent of Northern Soul, by which I mean it was obscure, the stuff of enthusiasts and record collectors. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it was another marked difference with the culture of 1969. It was impossible to sit still to it; in fact Suzie remarked that if I didn't stop rocking backwards and forwards I would get sectioned.

Great to see you too Mr.M, even though I had to express my concern over your mental state (rare reggae can do that). The asylum we discussed was Winterton, by-the-way.

Mark Handsome

Reaction score
I was at Windrush too.
Quite a few suits and a lot less jeans/boots at the evening do

The thing about music is when it was 1969 the DJ couldn't play anything from 1971, because it hadn't been recorded yet. So we are in the privileged position of being able to hear stuff from across the range,a good mix of old favourites and some lesser known stuff

The Sounds and Pressure stack sound system really blows you away
well done the DJs for keeping the dance floor filled and well done the organisers for putting it on

whodicapfit

Reaction score
I was at Windrush too.
Quite a few suits and a lot less jeans/boots at the evening do

The thing about music is when it was 1969 the DJ couldn't play anything from 1971, because it hadn't been recorded yet. So we are in the privileged position of being able to hear stuff from across the range,a good mix of old favourites and some lesser known stuff

The Sounds and Pressure stack sound system really blows you away
well done the DJs for keeping the dance floor filled and well done the organisers for putting it on
Well Hello. Just spotted your avatar I never even had a chance of a blether mate . I had to head off around 6 ish

Mark Handsome

Reaction score
Roll on next year's Windrush

I also love how Phil has the Jamaican flags hanging from the sound system stack. We rarely give credit to the country that produced so much of those boss tunes

londonspykid

Reaction score
Hello all.
First time poster and long time reader of this thread. I am a young skinhead from london and I am extremely interested in the both the style of the original skinheads and the sounds they danced to and I'd like to give a sincere thanks to all the frequent contributors on here, as this thread has been an invaluable source of information for me, and I'm sure many others.

I hate for my first post to be a digression, but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with more information on the sort of blazers worn by originals circa 71' (I know this has already been touched on around page 800 but seems to have been skipped over quite quickly.)
I understand they were made from barathea fabric, had patch pockets and were predominantly single vented and often with a regional or football patch on the breast pocket. But how about the blazer length-would this have been similar to a suit jacket? As for buttons, I'm assuming 3 buttons was standard and they would have been metal but was the fastening as high as on a suit and was the amount of buttons on the arm a matter of preference much like on a suit jacket? Were the shoulders natural or lightly padded? And how about the lapels?

Sorry for all the questions and if I'm treading old ground, but I couldn't find that information anywhere.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads